Author Topic: What's the size of Bomb shelter?  (Read 3038 times)

Offline 2100

• I'm a llama!
What's the size of Bomb shelter?
« on: October 30, 2009, 20:42 »
Hi guys,

Anybody can help to measure and give me the L & W of the bomb shelter, and also width of the door?

Wanna see if a 60" H 40"D and 16" W cab would be able to be rolled into it and fit (imagine it has to enter at an angle). So i guess critically it would depend on 40" depth and 16" width.

Thanks!

Offline dXter

Re: What's the size of Bomb shelter?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 21:57 »

Based on my simple drawing in google sketchup done up for my unit, inner space is ~ 2.3m by 1.25m for an S1 unit. Didn't draw the door, so cannot give an estimate.

Offline 2100

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 22:27 »

Based on my simple drawing in google sketchup done up for my unit, inner space is ~ 2.3m by 1.25m for an S1 unit. Didn't draw the door, so cannot give an estimate.

1.25m/49 inches would be the critical dimension, the shelter is wide enough thus making the door width non-critical.  Thanks for the info man.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 22:51 »
I have seen most shelters use cabinets that are assembled from pieces, rather than one single cabinet being moved in. You'd probably get better use of the space.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline 2100

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 00:38 »
I have seen most shelters use cabinets that are assembled from pieces, rather than one single cabinet being moved in. You'd probably get better use of the space.

It will be an AIY (assemble it yourself) cabinet that produces high SPL bass to 11Hz groundplane....not a cupboard lah.  :)  Its a bit big, so bo bian have to store there if its long term...or during cny. But the form factor is not that bad in operation.

125dB @ 16Hz 1m GP capability. More as you move up (eg 140dB @ 50Hz). We have pretty good room gain, the response curve is just nice.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/5748-cea-2010-standard-compilation.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=155586&d=1256069032
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=155569&d=1256050478

Actually I already have another smaller one but that one sure can fit.

What were you thinking, this is an audio forum, not reno talk. Haha  ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 00:41 by 2100 »

Offline 2100

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 00:45 »
Darn I can already see that the external cables gonna be a bit problematic if i flip the 60" to be height.

Offline dXter

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 11:10 »
I hope I don't live in the same block as you.  :o

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 08:04 »
When Bro 2100 is done, there will be no more block left. All will be rubble!!

140dB at 50Hz!!! Most people cannot comprehend how much SPL that is, with the dB being a log scale...

Offline zenit

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:35 »
I hope I don't live in the same block as you.  :o

Hope I live in the same block as him, 1 floor above ;D
The world is full of Kings and Queens / Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams /
And they'll tell you black is really white / The moon is just the sun at night /
And when you walk in golden halls / You get to keep the gold that falls /

Offline 2100

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 20:37 »
I hope I don't live in the same block as you.  :o

There's no use hiding.... coz bass being VLF (like Radio waves) can wrap around corners...  ;D  Of course there will be more loss this way compared to straight lines...

Still softer than big ship horns @ Harbourfront

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iox8PoCUSmM&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSVgJsQU_ac&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCYwL_4uKfk&feature=channel
----------------------------

If you follow AVS, MK wants 2 leh. I told him 2 is more than his 8 x 18" ED (if its LMS/XXX/Mal-X esp in IB then different story lah) but he said it remains to be seen.  Waiting for Ricci and Brandon's testing.
My 2-year old TH-112 obselete liao...   ::)

not much use other than for the specific audio enthusiast/HT though.

-----------------------------

As a quick post, we played the latest Transformers almost continuously at Show East. Our demo room was many times larger than any HT discussed on this forum. The DTS10 held its own just fine and remember we had the TH221 sitting there as well! The TH221 wins hands down in a maximum output but you are dealing with a sensitivity of 103dB@20Hz and power handling of 3000 watts RMS (6000 watts program)!! I also had the TH50 and there is no question the DTS10 does everything it does but goes substantially lower. At one point I played a 15Hz sine wave through the systems and switched between the three subs. The TH50 didn't even come close to reproducing it and both the DTS10 and TH221 easily reproduced it. Fact is you couldn't really tell between the TH221 and the DTS10 @ 15Hz.
Show East is the commercial cinema show with huge movie studio participation and while I know most of these commercial rooms can't hold a candle to a serious HT, many that I spoke with are very much aware of the need for improving the audio experience as well as the HD video side. Most of the projectors being demo'd cost more than most folks homes! Danley Sound Labs' demo created a serious buzz at the show and I have no doubt we will be going into several cinemas around the world.

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 22:13 by 2100 »

Offline Audio Madness

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 14:53 »
Hi guys,

Anybody can help to measure and give me the L & W of the bomb shelter, and also width of the door?

Wanna see if a 60" H 40"D and 16" W cab would be able to be rolled into it and fit (imagine it has to enter at an angle). So i guess critically it would depend on 40" depth and 16" width.

Thanks!

shelter size directly related to size of bomb. what is the biggest bomb you expect to drop down ?

Offline wizardofoz

• Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 17:01 »
Maybe should just mount the drivers in the shelter door and use the shelter as the cabinet :D
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

For Service, upgrades, installations and restorations or DIY completion...see my page here

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=139351

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline 2100

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 21:11 »
Maybe should just mount the drivers in the shelter door and use the shelter as the cabinet :D

Good idea, can do IB actually. But its a bad idea, coz it will look much worse than the horn.  LOL!

I got the L and W, its 2.6 and 1.6m approx. 2.8m height?  Vb = 11648 litres.  Quite big if you wanna achieve the standard 10X VAS of driver for IB.

This is mynym's Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba HT. Does not go as low like 11Hz but pretty bad ass efficiency with a mid 20s knee. (note the graph is measured with corner loading and not 2pi as in "outside")

121dB in-room, 22Hz, with just 29 watts of drive (10.8V on DMM). You could use a KT88 tube amp to drive it and still run louder than a single PB-13U with more than a kilowatt of power on tap (program).   ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--7My1qU1Eg

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

Imagine near-field performance within the horn bubble (little-no effect from room). High SPLs, whatever distortion will be from the room, not the sub.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 23:23 by 2100 »

Offline DIYer Straits

• 6h30p Über Tube
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 22:15 »
You could mount a V baffle and and load it up with as many 15" woofers that you can squeeze on them!
Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Modded Sony CDP X3000ES, Aune S1 DAC/Digital streamer.
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage
Custom 6N6p CCS Preamplifier
Custom Class T Balanced mono amps
Modded Thiel CS2.4/Custom 2-way/Aune P3112
To be updated

Offline 2100

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 23:29 »
You could mount a V baffle and and load it up with as many 15" woofers that you can squeeze on them!

Fun but still expensive leh....  Gotta factor in the amp dollars as well, though watts is pretty cheap nowadays.

I'm running out of dynamic recordings to play....gotta find more.