Author Topic: Marantz Owner's thread - stereo products only  (Read 220186 times)

Offline Saycheese78

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Marantz Owner's thread - stereo products only
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2010, 13:16 »
Hay guys

time to replace my super primitive 20 year old CD Player which does not even have a remote.

Any idea hows the difference between SA 8003 and CD 6003 minus the price and SA CD part?

My system is super duper entry and not going to upgrade cos the nightmare of me poking my father's tweeters 25 years ago is still fresh in my mind.  Cannot complain if junior does the same to me right?

Also wonder hows the effect when playing SA CD on a super budget system.

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2010, 13:40 »
Saw the insides of the 6003 vs the 8003. The 8003 has copper plated chassis and the components seem better.

But as I posted elsewhere, the 8003 has the Marantz warm sound signature. But a mod can cure that.

As for whether SACD difference is noticeable.. really gotta test it out yourself. It's not just equipment related but media and listener related. If you know what to look for, it may be more obvious if you don't what to listen out for.

FWIW, I think vinyl improvement is noticeable even on entry rig!! Ask House of Turntables for a demo..
End of Line - Derezzed

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2010, 14:24 »
What is your system bro?

If you are replacing the entire system, I would put more money into the speakers, then the amp and finally the CD.

The 6003 to 8003 is an incremental increase, which is good value and allows you to forget about upgrading for a while. But if you settle for the 6003, then it is more like a replacement then an upgrade IMO.

Note that SACDs are not as common, and tend to be the "audiophile" kind of music. You won't find much pop and instead there is a lot of jazz, vocals or classicals. Don't get a CD player based on SACD alone, as DH has mentioned.

Also 2nd hand Rega Apollos are also available, and someone is selling a PM 8003 amp too.

That will give you plenty of value if the price is right.
Hay guys

time to replace my super primitive 20 year old CD Player which does not even have a remote.

Any idea hows the difference between SA 8003 and CD 6003 minus the price and SA CD part?

My system is super duper entry and not going to upgrade cos the nightmare of me poking my father's tweeters 25 years ago is still fresh in my mind.  Cannot complain if junior does the same to me right?

Also wonder hows the effect when playing SA CD on a super budget system.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 07:43 by petetherock »
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline Saycheese78

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2010, 17:07 »
Yo Bro

My system is extremely basic.  Every time I went to new disc village and listen to the living voice, I need to spend 1 week cleaning my ears.  Even the Sonus Faber at gramaphone with long cables were miles ahead.

Yeah,, started with CA 340A and Mission speakers from you know who.  (try asking a non audio guy to spend >$1k very hard. thats why so low budget then).  However, implemented with proper speaker stands and belden cables.

Not going to change the speakers as  explained earlier, I believe in retribution. (real Story: when my dad remove his gauze in front of speaker, I like to poke the tweeter with my finger.  I told my wife.. she more hiong.. she remove the gauze herself to poke the tweeter.. arrggh super scared of retribution now!)

So now is matter of SACD or non SACD.  Yesh, I like Jazz, vocal, 2V1G, classical.  Seldom play pop, rock, metallic.  And also $680 vs $380

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 18:08 by Saycheese78 »

Offline snowy

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2010, 17:30 »
Comparison between SA 11S2 and 6003 playing red book cd - is the difference in sound quality great?  I always feel the difference between cd players is slight and thinking of buying the cheapo 6003.  Anyone can offer any advice?

Offline aquarius

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2010, 21:52 »
Dunno abt the 6003 but the SA11S2 was way better than my earlier Marantz DV9500. 

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2010, 00:46 »
If you have auditioned the two and feel this way, then buy the cheaper one. Its that simple. You decide with your ears and your wallet.

Comparison between SA 11S2 and 6003 playing red book cd - is the difference in sound quality great?  I always feel the difference between cd players is slight and thinking of buying the cheapo 6003.  Anyone can offer any advice?
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline snowy

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2010, 09:52 »
If you have auditioned the two and feel this way, then buy the cheaper one. Its that simple. You decide with your ears and your wallet.

No, I have not auditioned the 2.  Hoping someone had done it in his home environment.  I once auditioned Cambridge C640, C740 and C840 and I couldn't tell the difference, probably becos the set-up used.  Or I just couldn't tell the difference!

Offline cstanxpl

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2010, 16:22 »
SA/PM8004 from Marantz USA. (Might be the Pearl Lite in other countries).

Made in Japan.  ;D

http://us.marantz.com/Products/3223.asp#

http://us.marantz.com/Products/3224.asp#
"With such collusions don't it make you wanna SCREAM?"

"Different folks !!! Different strokes !!!"

Offline cmw_kwl_6923

• D:\CMW backup-17-08-2010\photo\friends
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2010, 21:29 »
any different between PM8003 and Pm 8004? as i go true the manual spec only the PM 8004 with RMS certificated~~~~~! ??? ??? ???

Offline navyseal

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2010, 18:18 »
SA KI Pearl and PM KI Pearl going for $2,500 each at Alpha Audio ;)

Offline Saycheese78

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2010, 20:27 »
Audition CD 6003 and SA 8003

Stupid shop got 1 gigantic glass panel behind speakers (no curtains).  Left wall and front wall also glass. Wasted my time.

But still can tell the difference.  SA 8003 sound sweeter on normal CD but could be due to the stupid glass.

Offline knoxv

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2010, 18:19 »
SA/PM8004 from Marantz USA. (Might be the Pearl Lite in other countries).

Made in Japan.  ;D

http://us.marantz.com/Products/3223.asp#

http://us.marantz.com/Products/3224.asp#

are these available in Singapore? they said these will be launched in August.

Offline domho8

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2010, 18:11 »
Called city electronics SA8003 no stocks, ask me check end of the month for SA8004 ;D

Offline silverdub

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2010, 15:05 »
hi bros,

Can i please seek some speaker advice for my setup? I recently purchased a PM15S2 and i am using a CA740C cdp as the source (for now). I am looking at floorstanders due to a 1 year old at home, but can only place these about 8 inches from the back wall (max). My listening room is about 4 meters wide, so i will be sitting about 3 meters from the speaker. Music is mainly jazz, alot of rock and the occasional rap/R&B.

can you please give me an idea of what speakers I should audition for this setup? the source is bright and the amp is neutral - i guess i should avoid speakers with metal dome tweeters such as the Rx6s, but they look oh so lovely and sounded amazing in the showroom. Chanced upon a used set of GR20s and PMC GB1s which sounded great on its own, but not sure if it would fit my setup.

lugging my amp to adelphi would be ideal, but a slipped disc has forced me off carrying anything remotely close to an amps weight :(

thanks in advance for your advise.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 15:24 by silverdub »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal