Author Topic: Marantz Owner's thread - stereo products only  (Read 220190 times)

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Re: Marantz Owner's thread - stereo products only
« Reply #585 on: September 20, 2016, 02:31 »
Try and pm bro Mivec ?
He repairs CD players.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline Wolf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #586 on: September 24, 2016, 19:37 »
WHF? review for PM6006

http://www.whathifi.com/marantz/pm6006/review

Anyone know how much this is being sold in City Electronics?
Benq W1070 DLP 3D Projector, Samsung PS59D550 (plasma), Denon AVR-X4000 & Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PB12-plus, Kef Q1, Kef Q9C, Wharfedale WH-2 bipole & Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker (2x)
Playstation 3, XBox 360 & Popcornhour A400
================================
Samsung UA55H6400 (LED LCD), Marantz PM6006, Dali Lektor 6, Popcornhour A300 and Minix A8-h plus

Offline cstanxpl

« Reply #587 on: September 25, 2016, 00:15 »
Anyone know how much this is being sold in City Electronics?

Price for CE was mentioned in the previous page.
"With such collusions don't it make you wanna SCREAM?"

"Different folks !!! Different strokes !!!"

Online petetherock

« Reply #588 on: December 08, 2016, 19:51 »
We are getting closer to the release of the PM 10:
http://www.whathifi.com/news/marantz-reveals-more-details-10-series-reference-range

200W into 8ohms and 400 into 4ohms..  :o

My gear:

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #589 on: December 08, 2016, 23:27 »
We are getting closer to the release of the PM 10:
http://www.whathifi.com/news/marantz-reveals-more-details-10-series-reference-range

200W into 8ohms and 400 into 4ohms..  :o

From a Class D design tho
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline MusicEar

« Reply #590 on: December 12, 2016, 23:03 »
Marantz just announced their flagship SA-10 SACD player with USB-DAC.

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?catid=hifi&subcatid=sacdcdplayer&productid=sa10

Looks like Marantz does not use any off selves DAC chips but develop their own custom FPGA DAC. Looks interesting... ability to playback hi-res downloads onto burnt DVDs blank discs are really cool and does PCM to DSD on the fly. There's a USB-A for external hard disk too!

A upgrade for my Marantz SA-14S1?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 23:40 by MusicEar »
Holo Spring NOS R2R level 2 DAC | Holo Audio Titanis USB Regen | ROON ROCK on ZOTAC fanless PC | Seagate PersonalCloud 4TB NAS |KECES dual linear power supply for Roon ROCK and NAS | VTL 2.5i pre & VTL MB-125 monoblock tube power amps | Dynaudio Contour 1.8mk2 floorstanding speakers | Taralabs Reference Gen mk2 audio interconnects | Alpha Goertz MI-3 speakers cables & Chord Silverplus USB cable | W-Audio power distributor terminated with WattGate plugs | Auralic Aries Mini as Endpoint |

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #591 on: December 13, 2016, 09:17 »
Ultimately it bears down to the price locally.  :)
Dynaudio Confidence, Center, Contour SR, IC 17
Plinius CD101, Tautoro, SA103
Denon AVC X8500H, Sony BDP X700, Optoma UHD65
TAOC ASR II, ASR III

Offline thevoice

« Reply #592 on: December 13, 2016, 22:26 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvEMKdasY34&feature=youtu.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvEMKdasY34&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvEMKdasY34&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Just found this. Watch this video maranta sa10 vs ear yoshino acute classic. How did he get hold of the marantz.

Offline Chericelise

• Snr Member
« Reply #593 on: December 18, 2016, 20:50 »
Hi all...iam new to Audiophile and is currently considering a Marantz CD player 6006 or 8005.
where can I find a reliable dealer with reasonable price?

Thanks.

Online petetherock

« Reply #594 on: December 24, 2016, 17:35 »
Hi all...iam new to Audiophile and is currently considering a Marantz CD player 6006 or 8005.

Thanks.
Welcome to XP
Have a search around, sometimes the answer was posted before:
We usually go to places like Alpha Audio, KEC, Jay Audio, City Electronics and Anson Audio.

My gear:

Offline zeebjii

« Reply #595 on: December 31, 2016, 01:11 »

Thanks.

I just bought mine at Alpha audio for 1280 with instalment plan. Cash price was 1250. A friend had suggested I could get it at a cheaper price at Jay Audio if i could pay cash.

Was disappointed that it didn't sound much better than my decades-old Rotel RCD965BX. But after i replaced my old and basic Straightwire Chorus with a pair of used McIntosh interconnect cables, i was stunned by the amazing improvement. Moral of the story is, don't let it down with $80 interconnects.

Offline altis72

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #596 on: January 03, 2017, 13:29 »
$1280? which model did you get?

Online petetherock

« Reply #597 on: January 07, 2017, 11:44 »
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/marantz-introduces-premium-10-series/

Late last year, DMGlobal, the corporation that now owns Marantz (also Denon and Boston Acoustics), announced the new Marantz Premium 10 Series and arranged for members of the international press and other interested parties to visit its European headquarters in the Dutch city of Eindhoven to hear about—and just plain hear—the latest flagship electronics from the famed brand. The Reference Series, which debuted in 2003 to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of Saul Marantz’s first product, comprised a preamplifier (the SC-7), a monoblock power amplifier (the MA-9) and, appearing in 2006, an SACD player (the SA-7). The Premium 10 line replaces these with fewer boxes—the PM-10 is a dual-mono integrated amplifier—and introduces plenty of technological advances over the earlier models. For example, the new SA-10 is a disc/file player that “doesn’t actually have a DAC.”

Headlining the product presentations in Eindhoven was Marantz’s “brand ambassador,” Ken Ishiwata, an engineering fixture at the company for nearly four decades. Resplendent in a bright green Nehru jacket and a flowing silk scarf, Ishiwata crisply and clearly described the PM-10’s layout. For the first time in Marantz history, the new flagship uses switching power amplification to deliver 200 watts RMS into an 8-ohm load, 400 into 4 ohms. Marantz eschews the designation of “Class D” for this amplifier because to many audiophiles that term always connotes a digital process, which simply isn’t true. The PA-10 is driven by a differential analog signal, a highly linear switching modulator operating at 450kHz. There are separate power supplies for the preamplifier section and for each of the power amp channels. With the goal of achieving the greatest possible noise rejection throughout the signal path, the topology is fully balanced from input to output. Line-level single-ended inputs are provided as well, though it’s hard to imagine many purchasers will be using them.

Marantz PM-10

In lieu of the usual integrated circuits (“chip amps”), the PA-10’s preamp section employs Marantz’s much-admired HDAMs (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules)—described in the company’s literature as “tiny amplifiers…built from discrete components.” Several important audio constituencies have not been forgotten: A carefully isolated discrete phonostage for moving-magnet and moving-coil cartridges is provided, and the front panel sports a headphone jack. Part selection, construction quality, and aesthetic considerations are first-rate, in line with the $7999 retail cost of the unit. A double-layered copper-plated chassis assures excellent rejection of both mechanical and electrical interference, and the case, available in the familiar Marantz silver-gold as well as three other options, is constructed from robust, non-magnetic aluminum panels.

Rainer Finck, a Senior Engineer at Marantz who has been working on its digital playback for two decades, outlined the key innovations utilized by the SA-10 SACD player. “Marantz Musical Mastering,” he explained, upsamples any and all digital files to DSD256—that is, four times the usual SACD standard. One of two high-precision clocks accomplishes this: multiples of 44.1kHz are oversampled to 11.3MHz, multiples of 48kHz to 12.3MHz. No sample-rate conversion is required; Marantz maintains that this extremely high-frequency, one-bit data stream is essentially an analog signal, ready to be passed along to an amplifier. In fact, the SA-10 promotional literature boldly maintains that “DSD is analog.” I’m not sure I’d go that far, but it can certainly be argued that less processing of the signal may be required than with PCM. This approach isn’t exactly new, as bitstream conversion methodology was very much in vogue back in digital’s earliest days. But in recent years, Marantz has devoted considerable effort to developing technology that will truly deliver the superior linearity that (the company feels) is inherent to single-bit digital.

Marantz SA-10

The SA-10 gives users a choice of two filter settings. There are optical and coaxial digital inputs for data streams up to192kHz/24-bit plus an asynchronous USB-B port for the connection of a computer, potentially handling PCM and DXD files (up to 384 kHz/32-bit) as well as 1x, 2x, and 4x DSD. Pretty much any PCM format is welcomed. The build-quality of the player, priced at $6999, is every bit as sumptuous as that of the integrated amplifier.

The technical presentations were followed by ample opportunity to hear the SA-10 and PM-10 in action, in Ken Ishiwata’s custom-built listening room located on the lower level of the Eindhoven facility. There, the digital player and integrated amp were driving a quite remarkable $4000/pair loudspeaker, the Q Acoustics Concept 500, a modest-sized British floorstander that had a number of experienced listeners furtively looking around for a non-existent subwoofer. It is, of course, very difficult to judge the character and quality of electronics in the context of an unfamiliar system and room. But I have to say: This was quite possibly the best sound I’ve ever heard from a system costing $20k or less—and, certainly, the Marantz player and integrated were not getting in the way of this level of performance. Ken Ishiwata demonstrated the gear with recordings of his choosing, including some he’d made himself, but after he’d excused himself to participate in interviews, attendees brought out their own discs and the audio experience remained consistently outstanding—imaging as holographic as I’ve ever heard, detailed hall information, subtle dynamic gradations, and accurate instrumental and vocal color. No one seemed especially eager to leave that room.

DMGlobal must have a lot of confidence in these components, if only in that it’s chosen to market them as the Premium 10 series. “10” is not a good number in the Marantz mythos. The Model 10B tuner that Sid Smith and Dick Sequerra worked on tirelessly was released in 1963 at a price of $650. It was a legendary product that today can sell for over $3000 on the vintage market. At the time, however, it ruined Saul Marantz financially and forced the sale of his company to Superscope in 1964. Superscope sold to Philips in 1980 and the latter eventually sold its remaining share in Marantz to DMGlobal in 2008. Which, of course, was why we were all gathered on a gray December day in Eindhoven. This time, one suspects, “10” will work out much better for the Marantz brand.

My gear:

Offline eze73

• Snr Member
« Reply #598 on: January 08, 2017, 19:11 »
Hello
I still own a CD 63 KI and a CD 17 KI ..
I was searching for a SA11S3 when I saw your post
2 things
1. It is weird that CD makers are still producing high end gears despite the fact that SACDs and CDs are no longer so popular
2. Is the SA 10 better than the SA11S3 ?

Cheers

Offline annapurna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #599 on: January 09, 2017, 12:23 »

2. Is the SA 10 better than the SA11S3 ?

Cheers

Marantz naming convention is usually the smaller the numerical number, the higher the series.  So Marantz 10 should be higher than 11 and theoretically better.
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, Gryphon Mephisto, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal