Author Topic: Marantz Owner's thread - stereo products only  (Read 178070 times)

Offline annapurna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Marantz Owner's thread - stereo products only
« Reply #690 on: October 07, 2018, 00:21 »
Any bro here hear the SA-Ki Ruby and compare it with the SA-10?
Is the KI Ruby available locally?  How much is the selling price?
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, XA100.8 Monos, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)

Offline bigbird

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #691 on: October 07, 2018, 12:03 »
Disappointed to find out there is no balance XLR output for the Ruby.

Offline zaek

« Reply #692 on: October 12, 2018, 07:35 »
Any bro owns a SA-10? Care to share your experience?
Head-Fi: Computer → Lavry DA11 → SPL Phonitor
HiFi: Marantz Ki-Pearl  → Densen DM20/30 → B&W 805N
Headphones: HD650 (Blue Dragon)/HD25 I-II/ HD820
Sub: JL Audio E110

Offline Goldberg

• Enjoy your music for yourself & not others.
« Reply #693 on: October 12, 2018, 20:58 »
I’ve a few friends who owe SA-10 after their SA-7 died. They claimed the sound exceed SA-7 with more detail retrieval.

I’m very satisfied with my SA-7 with NA-11 as DAC but there’s no way to repair SA-7 if anything goes wrong as there’s no replacement parts available.

SA-10 alone is better than SA-7 & NA-11 combined as I was told.

I’ll consider SA-10 when the day comes when mine stop working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marantz SA-7S1 (Reference SACD Player)
Marantz NA-11S1 (DAC/Reference Network Player)
Marantz SC-7S2 (Reference Pre)
Karan Acoustics KAS400 (Stereo Dual Mono Power Amp)
Focal Scala Utopia (Speakers)
NBS & Siltech (Cables)
Jade Audio IsoGen2 (Isolation Footers)
PLixir BAC Elementa 2500 (Power Conditioner)
NBS Mine (Power Conditioner)

Offline francishuang

« Reply #694 on: October 12, 2018, 22:23 »
The sa10 noise floor is low. A very gd redbook cdp, punches well above its weight. For sacd playback, i feel its quite lacking.
Shindo is Music

Offline zaek

« Reply #695 on: October 12, 2018, 22:31 »
Appreciate the sharing!
Head-Fi: Computer → Lavry DA11 → SPL Phonitor
HiFi: Marantz Ki-Pearl  → Densen DM20/30 → B&W 805N
Headphones: HD650 (Blue Dragon)/HD25 I-II/ HD820
Sub: JL Audio E110

Offline Goldberg

« Reply #696 on: October 13, 2018, 01:12 »
The sa10 noise floor is low. A very gd redbook cdp, punches well above its weight. For sacd playback, i feel its quite lacking.

May I know why SA-10 SACD playback is lacking? Are you comparing it with its redbook or with other SACD player? If it’s the latter then which player are you referring to?

NBS & Siltech (Cables)

Offline francishuang

« Reply #697 on: October 13, 2018, 01:21 »
Comparing it with other sacd players. For sacd playback, it gives me the feeling its trying to hard, its not able to render resolution in a fluid way. But of course i am comparing it to cdp tpt dac tat costs much more. For redbook cd playback, at this price point, It is very very good even compare to much more exp players. At one point i was even considering having the sa10 to play redbook and get an emm lab cdp for sacd playback. Did not materialise due to budget and space.

Do you have friends using mentronme range of cdp?Theres a new model call AQWO, both the redbook and sacd playback is very good. Do check it out

May I know why SA-10 SACD playback is lacking? Are you comparing it with its redbook or with other SACD player? If it’s the latter then which player are you referring to?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 01:29 by francishuang »
Shindo is Music

Offline Goldberg

« Reply #698 on: October 13, 2018, 02:52 »
Comparing it with other sacd players. For sacd playback, it gives me the feeling its trying to hard, its not able to render resolution in a fluid way. But of course i am comparing it to cdp tpt dac tat costs much more. For redbook cd playback, at this price point, It is very very good even compare to much more exp players. At one point i was even considering having the sa10 to play redbook and get an emm lab cdp for sacd playback. Did not materialise due to budget and space.

Do you have friends using mentronme range of cdp?Theres a new model call AQWO, both the redbook and sacd playback is very good. Do check it out

Yes I have 4 friends using Metronome transport with SA-10 as DAC. They claim the transport is very good but it costs much more than SA-10.

NBS & Siltech (Cables)

Offline francishuang

« Reply #699 on: October 13, 2018, 07:49 »
Do check out the Metronome AQWO, around 16 17k with the optional tube output drivers, without will be lesser. Its about the same cost as tpt + sa10.

I have friends whom have changed to this from their much more expensive equipment
Yes I have 4 friends using Metronome transport with SA-10 as DAC. They claim the transport is very good but it costs much more than SA-10.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:54 by francishuang »
Shindo is Music

Offline annapurna

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #700 on: October 13, 2018, 10:46 »
Appreciate the sharing!
I have the SA10 and use it as a player and DAC.  This is from notes sometime back when I was using RCA out to a Airtight preamp - I heard on CDs the following - The Best of Earl Klugh, Sundance Flamenco by James Bohchak, Otmar Liebert Noveau Flamenco, Kraftwerk Live 3D, Nathan East Reverence. On SACD, I tried with Diana Krall The Girl in the Other Room, Natalie Cole Ask A Woman Who Knows, Chris and Friends (Mandarin disc), Norah Jones Come Away With Me, Tsai Chin (Mandarin Disc). Disc after disc, the SA10 never fail to impress me. The low level resolution, the ultra low level of noise is just eerie. On Kraftwerk and Earl Klugh, the bass extension just go real low and taut and not boomy.

Subsequently I had the chance to try the XLR output of the SA10 to the XLR input of a BAT VK53SE preamp. Btw, the BAT VK53SE is a full balanced preamp.  There is tremendous improvement in sound compared to the RCA out. Is this attributed to the SA10 or BAT pre, I really dont know. But the fact is that I heard bass that goes so much extended and lower probably another octave and each bass notes can be easily followed. Depth, detail and soundstage improved as well. So if anyone of you are using the SA10, do try the XLR output and I am sure you can hear the difference.
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, XA100.8 Monos, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)

Offline annapurna

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #701 on: October 13, 2018, 10:49 »
Do check out the Metronome AQWO, around 16 17k with the optional tube output drivers, without will be lesser. Its about the same cost as tpt + sa10.

I have friends whom have changed to this from their much more expensive equipment
I have heard the Metronome AQWO but not in direct comparisons with SA10.  It does sound very good.  It is very analogue and sounded close to listening to vinyl.  It will be good to be able to do a direct AB with a SA10 :)

Offline malsound

« Reply #703 on: December 05, 2018, 19:38 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mWwlfTcq6ck&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mWwlfTcq6ck&fs=1</a>

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #704 on: December 05, 2018, 20:15 »
Heard the Ruby series in action. Nice but for the price, it's not too VFM...
Met the man himself.. now that was priceless..
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html