Author Topic: Streaming (audio) issues  (Read 1276 times)

Offline xenophorean

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Streaming (audio) issues
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 21:27 »
Methinks it's some other clone !

也许可能  :-X

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 05:18 »
Methinks it's some other clone !

Yup, I think so too… someone with badly bruised ego ;D
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 05:27 »
Both my SingTel router and NAS are connected to a CISCO switch. From the switch, it is connected to a wall LAN point which is wired to my hifi room. From the hifi room, there is another wall LAN point which is connected to my Naim streamer.

However, I faced the exact same problems before I added the switch, i.e. the NAS was connected to the singtel router and from the singtel router to the wall LAN point.

And are the "wall LAN" interface passive cables or is there anything active there?

Your setup sounds pretty straight forward, but I'm pretty sure the Synology Media Server isn't that buggy... I've got a Synology at home, I'll give the Media Server a spin when I get back to Singapore this weekend and see if I notice anything ;)

By the way, are you running the latest Synology diskstation manager/OS?

Offline xenophorean

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 10:19 »
Yup, I think so too… someone with badly bruised ego ;D

Forgive me I envy people who have never met you and I’m really sorry your dad beat you instead of cancer.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:31 by xenophorean »

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 15:22 »
Your setup sounds pretty straight forward, but I'm pretty sure the Synology Media Server isn't that buggy... I've got a Synology at home, I'll give the Media Server a spin when I get back to Singapore this weekend and see if I notice anything ;)

Actually, its difficult to pinpoint what is the exact cause or causes. There maybe one or even more causes that cause the phenomenon that TS is experiencing. So, the solution may not be just be one single solution. For example, the first "non-responsive" event maybe due to cause A, while the second "non-responsive" event maybe due to cause B, so on and so forth. So each event may require a different solution. But hopefully there is only one cause and thus only one solution is required.

So one way of solving it is to gather possible solutions and then having TS trying it when it occurs. So its better to have more ideas/solutions. He can start trying the simpler and free solutions, then progress with more complicated and non-free solution.

Definitely agree with you that Synology is relatively trouble-free.

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 15:41 »
ask stupid question, can?

;D

while streaming Tidal on the laptop, can also download the file (track) at the same time?
If yes, then how?

Please show screen grabs, because i totally blurred wan.

haha, thank you!

;D
Many thanks to the mods for continuing to tolerate all my expressive vulgarisms and harassment of fellow forumers...

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 14:13 »

I gave Media Server a try… I have to take my words back :P... Synology’s Media Server is definitely a little dodgy, behaves inconsistently and doesn’t always respond to SSDP M-SEARCH broadcast. That said, once I changed its “SSDP advertisement interval” down to 30 seconds (from its default of 920), it started to behave more predictably.

Give it a try; from “Package Center”, with Media Server running, click on [Open], and change “SSDP advertisement..” down to 30;

In case it craps out again, Stopping and Restarting the Media Server should work rather than having to uninstall and reinstall. Just make sure once you restart it, it’s actually running (I noticed it doesn’t always seem to run). You can verify it through Task Manager, and look for Media Server and it’s two processes, “dms” and “lighttd”

By the way, be sure your Cisco Switch is not blocking multicast traffic, and specifically that UDP port 1900 is open (used by UPnP to search and advertise UPnP services).

On your other problem of accessing the NAS from Windows; assuming your Synology is properly running SMB and/or NFS file services - they’re on by default unless you stopped them, just make sure from Control-Panel -> File Services, that “SMB” and “NFS” are selected - then the problem is likely your Windows Network Discovery & Sharing settings… Google how to turn on Network Discovery on your version of Windows. Once you do that, from Windows Explorer, you should be able explore “\\Your-NAS-IP-Address” and it’ll pop-up a window for your NAS login credentials, and then straight to your NAS shared folders from within Explorer.

Good luck!  ;)

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2019, 14:14 »
ask stupid question, can?

;D

while streaming Tidal on the laptop, can also download the file (track) at the same time?
If yes, then how?

Please show screen grabs, because i totally blurred wan.

haha, thank you!

;D

A couple of ways, but the simplest “dirty” way is via Audio Hijack on a Mac… Record the digital output stream (even MQA decoded streams ;));