Author Topic: Mounting projector screen over window  (Read 11639 times)

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
Mounting projector screen over window
« on: July 20, 2009, 21:30 »
Finally i got the green light to convert one of the spare bedroom into HT room.
Decided to mount the screen over the window. Like to survey how you guys black out the window from light and heat.
Fyi, there are already existing solar film on the window.

Offline warmasterhorus11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cant live without VantageHD! Revolution in PQ!
Re: Mounting projector screen over window
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 22:28 »
Yo Bro,

u can try using black solar film, it is selling at TOYOGO @ SGD48 per roll. TOTALLY blackout.  ;D

Or alternatively u can go to Artfriend to get some thicker foam board, cut them into the window dimension and paste direct on the window pane. Then use thin cardboard(together with double-sIded tape) to blackout any light that escape. Finally 1 layer of curtain to block further heat from directing to your room.

But with your grill on, mounting the PJ screen can be challenging. First you hv to source the bracket first. Unless u mount the bracket on both sides of the windowgrill as shown in your pic, then it is much easier. if I m not wrong u need at least 2inch spacing from the Wall.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 22:38 by warmasterhorus11 »
Money don't Change People, It is Money that bring Changes around them. Calibre VantageHD, HIFi-Tuning(Quantum Plug & Noise Destroyer), RGPC 1200, Anthem A5, A2, Marantz SR7002, Epson TW700, Oppo BD83, DV983H, Marantz CD63SE(TS-Lim Modded). SVS PB12, PS Audio Juice Bar II, Harmonic Tech, Bettercables, Signalcables, Focupix 80".

Offline hydeto

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 23:25 »
Finally i got the green light to convert one of the spare bedroom into HT room.
Decided to mount the screen over the window. Like to survey how you guys black out the window from light and heat.
Fyi, there are already existing solar film on the window.

I have similar room setup as you but I am using motorised screen. I mounted a ikea curtain pole holder and pole at that area where the gap from the top wall go into the winder wall and used a thick curtain. But you are using fix screen so can't help you.
Onkyo 876, SVS SB 12-Plus, Paradigm Studio 20 v4 Front, Paradigm CC-570 v3 Center, Mission Rear
Playstation 3, XBox 360, Wii

Offline ralfale

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 23:34 »
Yo Bro,

u can try using black solar film, it is selling at TOYOGO @ SGD48 per roll. TOTALLY blackout.  ;D

Or alternatively u can go to Artfriend to get some thicker foam board, cut them into the window dimension and paste direct on the window pane. Then use thin cardboard(together with double-sIded tape) to blackout any light that escape. Finally 1 layer of curtain to block further heat from directing to your room.

But with your grill on, mounting the PJ screen can be challenging. First you hv to source the bracket first. Unless u mount the bracket on both sides of the windowgrill as shown in your pic, then it is much easier. if I m not wrong u need at least 2inch spacing from the Wall.

Yeah you are right mounting the screen will be a challenge due to the grills. I reckon i'll need to source for other brackets to mount the screen.
Due to budget constraints, have decided to go for 16:9 grey screens from htdepot. Still waiting for delivery to reach.

By the way, where do i get this TOYOGO film? Your triple protection method is fierce  ;D

Offline ralfale

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 23:35 »
I have similar room setup as you but I am using motorised screen. I mounted a ikea curtain pole holder and pole at that area where the gap from the top wall go into the winder wall and used a thick curtain. But you are using fix screen so can't help you.

Yah decided to go for fixed screen less hassles and worries.
Can also cut down the trouble to clean the window during CNY.  ;D

Offline warmasterhorus11

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 00:51 »
Yeah you are right mounting the screen will be a challenge due to the grills. I reckon i'll need to source for other brackets to mount the screen.
Due to budget constraints, have decided to go for 16:9 grey screens from htdepot. Still waiting for delivery to reach.

By the way, where do i get this TOYOGO film? Your triple protection method is fierce  ;D

haha not fierce at all, infact I miss a step so now some light does transmitted thru, so guess I hv to rectify it.  :-\

I was sourcing for the blackout film but out of stocks for months till i give up and uses my own blackout method.
better to get it FAST before it run out of it again!  ;D

here the link for your easy reference:
http://www.basicdeco.com.sg/solar_blackOut.htm

U mentioned htdepot screen. ha so its the same, but mine in white 16:9 85''. ;)
Heres the trick, they dun provide brackets like steward, however they do hv 4 "L" shape holder which u can move around for easy mounting(u can choose to use 2 will do). If your 3panels window falls within 74.4'' in length then its easier for u. If u notice, there is a ceiling beam juz above your window, so hv to consider that factor too.

Happy sourcing  :P

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 17:14 by warmasterhorus11 »
Money don't Change People, It is Money that bring Changes around them. Calibre VantageHD, HIFi-Tuning(Quantum Plug & Noise Destroyer), RGPC 1200, Anthem A5, A2, Marantz SR7002, Epson TW700, Oppo BD83, DV983H, Marantz CD63SE(TS-Lim Modded). SVS PB12, PS Audio Juice Bar II, Harmonic Tech, Bettercables, Signalcables, Focupix 80".

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:46 »
I got windows like your to deal with when mounting my screen.  Using paste-on is a drag and very unslightly.

I use a 2-layer curtain now. One outer layer (windows side) is the standard PVC "vertical bind" material that block out all the light, and a inner layer (room side) to improve the acoustics of the room.  Mounting point for the curtain is just next to the window grill attachement point.  The I-beam at the ceiling form a good recesss so that you can mount your screen without touching the curtain or the grill.

(Audio)

Offline ralfale

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 00:20 »
Thanks for the link warmasterhorus11. I got the 95" screen to cover my window grill entirely :D
Item reached borderlinx liao. On the way here  :P

Offline warmasterhorus11

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 00:30 »
Thanks for the link warmasterhorus11. I got the 95" screen to cover my window grill entirely :D
Item reached borderlinx liao. On the way here  :P

wow cool 95'' is awesome  ;D

Offline ralfale

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 00:40 »
I was aiming for the 85" one initially until i realise not big enough to cover my window. Will look v ugly. Haha.

Offline koma

• im a bassnut.....
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 00:44 »
hav fun with ur project bro, u will be rewarded when everytin
is done swee swee n enjoying movies in ur new ht rm ;)

I was aiming for the 85" one initially until i realise not big enough to cover my window. Will look v ugly. Haha.
PJ - SONY RUBY VPL-VW100
AMP - DENON 3808
BD PLAYER - PIONEER BDP320
SPEAKERS - M&K S100B, M&K SUR55T, M&K SX7
SUBS - SVS PB12+/2, SVS PB13 ULTRA, SVS PB12 NSD, M&K MX150
POWER AMPS - LEXICON 312 & 212
POWER CONDTIONERS : RICHARD GRAY, HIFI TUNING,QUANTUM
EQ -  BFD DSP1124P, ELEMENTAL DESIGNS EQ2
CABLES - SYNERGISTIC RESERACH, BETTERCABLE
POWERCORDS : VAN DEN HUL, PS AUDIO, LESSLOSS, BETTERCABLE
MISC - WIREWORLD

Offline jonlee

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 09:39 »
I stick aluminium foil onto the window to block out the heat and light, then cover with a full height full width normal ikea curtain.

Done.   ;D

Offline ralfale

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 11:14 »
I stick aluminium foil onto the window to block out the heat and light, then cover with a full height full width normal ikea curtain.

Done.   ;D

That's a very cost efficient method bro  :D

I am wondering, if anyone put curtains all over the room including the side walls instead of using those absorption foams. Cos the foams are not cheap either to cover all 4 walls.

Offline DanDon

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 12:02 »
I am wondering, if anyone put curtains all over the room including the side walls instead of using those absorption foams. Cos the foams are not cheap either to cover all 4 walls.

I have full length and height thick curtians on both left and right side walls. These curtains are also to cover the some absorption foams on these side walls.

Rear wall is covered with absorption foams and broadband diy bass traps.

Front wall is only the 85" fixed screen and a piece of broadband diy bass trap below the screen. I do not cover this wall with curtain/foams so as not to make the room dead as I listen a lot to stereo. Therefore, I also have added 4 diffusers in the room.

If you're fully on HT, I recommend cover all the walls and ceiling with foams/bass traps/thick curtains like our bros Koma and Jason. Thin curtains would not be effective.   

Offline ralfale

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 15:10 »
hav fun with ur project bro, u will be rewarded when everytin
is done swee swee n enjoying movies in ur new ht rm ;)

Yah big reno to the room this weekend.
Still need a long way and $$ before i can reach your room's level.