Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 22496 times)

Offline armoury

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The lunatic is on the grass...
Star Trek
« on: May 07, 2009, 18:08 »
Simply brilliant. 

And this comes from a long-time Trekker (who owns all the movies, and all seasons of ST:TOS, ST:TNG, ST: DS9 and the one season of ST:TAS on DVD).

Whilst it acknowledges that which has gone before, at the same time it isn't so wedded to the canon so as to exclude those that have never watched any iteration of Star Trek before.  (And yes, it does 'explain' how canon is to be dealt with.)

So if you're a die-hard Trekker, go see it.  If you have never seen any ST before, but like sci-fi generally, go see it.  Or if you like action movies, go see it.

But if you only like chick-flicks and rom-coms, well, it's still kinda funny in parts, and Kirk certainly lives up to his past reputation for being a ladies' man, so you can see it too.  Heck, there's even stuff about family which should appeal to those in touch with their emotional side.
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline yellowhandman

Re: Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 21:28 »
Waiting for my cousin who has been my Trek kaki for for twenty years to get back to Singapore before seeing it. But was just psyching myself up by watching TOS season 1 Blu-rays!

Wish I could find my old Trek uniform shirt...the classic yellow one, not TNG!

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED! GO LAKERS! FORZA FERRARI!

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 15:33 »
Awesome movie.

While I started out as a SW fan, the numerous crappy novels in the 90s, the re-re-re-visioned original trilogy, the midi(ptui)chlorins all made me a bit too jaded.

I was watching TNG on and off then, but really got into the whole franchise with the DVDs.

This new series is just an amazing reboot on the franchise and how it deals with the original canon is brilliant! Great acting, great chemistry!

:)

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline enthrone

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 21:47 »
Do they have seatbelts in this revamped Enterprise?

Offline armoury

• The lunatic is on the grass...
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 22:10 »

Good one!  And the answer is no...  ;D
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 23:49 »

Watch Enterprise
:)
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline enthrone

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 22:53 »
Good one!  And the answer is no...  ;D

Maybe that is considered canon.

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 23:13 »
After watching the movie, came back to google for more info in order to refresh the memory who's who.
My last serious following of startrek was the Voyager series that starred a female Thio Siew Mien like mentor commander except this one look much more prettier and affable.
Interest in Startrek waned after watching a few episodes of the following Enterprise series which put me to sleep  ;D
Just realised they even had a made for internet Startrek series below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Voyages

Not sure if worth catching on the internet  ;D
Listen to ~MOVIOLA~Movie themes, and ILLUMINATIONS~Relaxation

Offline Jedi R

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 23:19 »
Love the show... really enjoy the jokes...

Watching the show refresh my memories of the characters in Star Trek. 
May the force be with you....

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 23:27 »
Why no seatbelts? :)

The official answer is: inertial dampeners.

Enterprise (the series with Scott Bakula) had an injoke about this in one of the seasons as did Picard in a deleted scene in one of the movies.

But the real answer is:

HOW else could Shatner's Kirk pose as dramatically if he was restrained ;)

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 23:49 »
Superb! this Star Trek film re-sets a different time line from the original series. Casts were great, very well place together which really mimicks the original cast when they were in their younger times. i have been a Trekkie since young, didnt quite like the original series that were made in the 70s. only to pick them up during the TNG series. i got the whole collection of the Trek movies/TV. cant wait to get a BR for this.

Did you guyz know there is a Official Registered Fan Club in singapore? i was once a commitee member in it. but the current club president couldnt really deliver, so everyone resigned. till now there is still an existing informal club in sg. www.startrek.com.sg this bunch are better organized.   :)
ProJect Q.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 08:44 »
"Fire everything!!"

No, I gonna wait for the BR.......

Have never been to the movies for so long, my May 1 movie trip (Wolverine at Vivo City) has told me not to visit the cinema anymore....wait for the BR.

(Audio)

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 12:15 »
Audio

I have stopped watching movies in downtown cinemas because there're just too many people and too much background noise that I can't enjoy movies as much.

But what I do find is that at my neighbourhood cinema, there's virtually no one watching the 12am shows and my wife and I can enjoy the movie more. The local EngWah even has a decent digital cinema setup. I try not to watch movies unless they are shown in digital these days.

While I would enjoy rewatching ST at home when the BR arrives, I feel this movie definitely benefits from the really big screen experience.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:20 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 12:34 »
The home theatre experience is so good these days that I am having a hard time appreciating the cinema experience.  If my wife's company have not provided free movies tickets for the family, I wouldn't know.

The Wolverine screening at Vivo City (theatre one) is so disappointing.  The resolution on the screen is so poor, I would have complain if this is what's coming out of my setup.

To be fair, maybe it's because the screen is so much bigger....but then I missed the detail and the definition....sorry.

Nevertheless, the popcorn great!!  Need to emulate this aspect at hgome, is the microwave popable popcorn as good as the cinema's?

(Audio)

Offline jeffong

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 12:52 »
Wah.. didn't realise got some many Trekkies like me over here.  Me also waiting for the BR to come out as it's just too much hassle to bring the young ones along to the movie theatre unless it's content agrees with them.  In the meantime, have been busy re-living the Trek Movies again.  Just finished watching Search for Spock over the weekend.  ;D
HDR Rulez - UHD-K8500 | Oppo UDP-203 | Roku 4 | Nvidia Shield
Stewart Firehawk 92" | LG 65E6T | Panny 65VT30 | Sony 40NX720 | Panny AE7000
Denon 7200WA | Denon 4520 | Denon 2309 | SVS PC-12+ | JL E110
UHD BD Titles : More than 20