Author Topic: OPPO BDP-83 Official Owner's Thread  (Read 141375 times)

Offline bkling

• I'm a llama!
Re: OPPO BDP-83 Official Owner's Thread
« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2009, 22:59 »
Darthfunk

Ya.. a bit dissapointed that S&M disc was not included as package.  My American friends pay US$499 with free disc. Is the package contents different for different location? 
Pioneer 655A + Denon 3803 + Pioneer CLD95 + JMLab Chorus5.1 + 2XREL Stratar II + Diva M7 + Diva Blue Sky Signature + 2X Mcintosh 7100 Mono Block + B&W802 + 2XMarantz 67SE + Marantz 63SE + SonySCD1 + Cabasse 5.1 + Diva Headphone Amp + AKG701 + AKG501 + HDX1000 + Onkyo 906 + Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 + Oppo DBP83+SVS AS-EQ1+SVS PB12Plus + Popcorn A110 + Popcornhour C200 + Mirage OMD-5 & OMD C2 - 7.1+Emotiva XPA-5

Offline yellowhandman

« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2009, 23:03 »
Darthfunk

Ya.. a bit dissapointed that S&M disc was not included as package.  My American friends pay US$499 with free disc. Is the package contents different for different location? 

Haven't we already discussed this topic to death already?

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED! GO LAKERS! FORZA FERRARI!

Offline ruby

« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2009, 23:06 »
I will probably give the mod the MISS if the total price (player + S&M disk + mod) is more than S$1k.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 23:09 by ruby »
Display - Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A
Player - Oppo BDP-93
HTiB - Pioneer HTP-LX70
Cables - Van Den Hul HDMI flat

Offline bkling

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2009, 23:49 »
Haven't we already discussed this topic to death already?

Ya..I know that.  Some how this S$150 triggered my memory ;D
Pioneer 655A + Denon 3803 + Pioneer CLD95 + JMLab Chorus5.1 + 2XREL Stratar II + Diva M7 + Diva Blue Sky Signature + 2X Mcintosh 7100 Mono Block + B&W802 + 2XMarantz 67SE + Marantz 63SE + SonySCD1 + Cabasse 5.1 + Diva Headphone Amp + AKG701 + AKG501 + HDX1000 + Onkyo 906 + Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 + Oppo DBP83+SVS AS-EQ1+SVS PB12Plus + Popcorn A110 + Popcornhour C200 + Mirage OMD-5 & OMD C2 - 7.1+Emotiva XPA-5

Offline singsing

« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2009, 00:22 »
Firstly - massive, massive big thanks to DF for doing all this, for being the interface between us & slt and probably oppo too...and being so comitted to this. Somewhere, my friend is a medal for you...(or beers !!)  ;D

The mod allows me to use a single unit to be CD, DVD, BR, SACD and DVD-A player...and to boot, a reasonably good one that shines way above its price bracket (so we hear, forgive the pun, to be confirmed in due time!!) To be honest, less concerned with the BR region, more concerned that I dont want to be checking the back covers of every DVD I hire from the shop to filter out the ones that wont play on the 83.

However, this now takes the player over the $1000 mark, which from the numerous posts here suggests is really the tipping point where the reality needs to meet the hype first before that point could be crossed. Me IMHO, I'll happily pay a $100 on top, given I have already committed to buying on the MO.

But 150 hmmmmm.....maybe if the mod allowed me to put in any DVD, BR without having to tap at the remote control to change region / code (WAF factor - mui importante !!! ), made no difference to SQ/PQ (I guess it shouldnt) and came with the Spears disc !!!

On the other hand, I could probbaly decide that I'll stop having the really crap starbucks coffee for the rest of my life, get the oppo mod the first week, upgrade my system in the next few months....etc, etc...

...choices !!

Oppo BD-83 SE
Marantz SR6003, MF A3.5
MA RS6, RSLCR, Wharfedale Diamond 9
rears & SW150 sub
Starhub HD box
Pana Plasma

Offline koma

• im a bassnut.....
« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2009, 00:55 »
eh panasonic bd30 mod chip by itself is olredi more than $200
and that u have to ship it here n mod it urself :P
for top end pioneer players like the 09 elite series the mod
is more than $800 for the region free hack and no warranty frm
pioneer. If slt does honor the mod n provide aftersales support
on their own its quite a gd deal juz my 2 cents dun flame me ok ;)
PJ - SONY RUBY VPL-VW100
AMP - DENON 3808
BD PLAYER - PIONEER BDP320
SPEAKERS - M&K S100B, M&K SUR55T, M&K SX7
SUBS - SVS PB12+/2, SVS PB13 ULTRA, SVS PB12 NSD, M&K MX150
POWER AMPS - LEXICON 312 & 212
POWER CONDTIONERS : RICHARD GRAY, HIFI TUNING,QUANTUM
EQ -  BFD DSP1124P, ELEMENTAL DESIGNS EQ2
CABLES - SYNERGISTIC RESERACH, BETTERCABLE
POWERCORDS : VAN DEN HUL, PS AUDIO, LESSLOSS, BETTERCABLE
MISC - WIREWORLD

Offline DJQ

• PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2009, 09:25 »
i feel its better to be CLEAR on the warranty issue. even if SLT provide support, ultimately does oppo acknowledge and approve such mods to be done on the BDP-83 with the usual warranty coverage?

Also does SLT techs have level 3 Electronics SMT experience and ESD protection? since they will be opening up each player to mod it. as standard it may just be a mod chip with jumper wires(but i regon it wont be that simple) but it will also require proper tools/skills set to mod it. the oppo components are very small with jumper wires that requires to be as thin as 0.5mm.  :P
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature Mocca
Plinius Kaitaki
Plinius SA-103

Offline vieri

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2009, 09:50 »
One way to show our "unhappiness" over SLT is for all the MO people to write direct to Oppo. I think not having the S&M discs is very unfair as it comes with it in just about every other country.

This is not a criticsm of DF He has done a great job organising the MO but SLT is losing customer satisfaction here and it will come and bite them later on

Totally agreed!!!
Who's england is powerful? Can someone volunteer to write a poem to OPPO & all of us will sign on it?

Vieri
Let my people go!!!!!

Offline cn9601

« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2009, 10:19 »
IMHO, I used to cheong and crave for region-code free DVD players bcos of Code 1 (usu. uncut mah) and supposedly better PQ and SQ. Thereafter, it appears that it develops into a norm tat all Spore DVD players will be region-code free  ;D So codes 1-9 and cheong ones can be played with no worry  :D

Then come along BD player, which now Spore and HK are oso in the same area code of US. Therefore, to me, area code free for BD is not a craving. While UK BD may at times be cheaper, I can wait for US BD price reduction. But of coz, if I can have my BD player to be area code FREE, y not  ;D

Given the current mass consumer take-up rate of BD, IMO it will take a HIGH mountain for BD player eventually to be de factor aread code free. And to pay at least S$100 for the mod, and probably void the waranty, hmmmmmm......quite unlikely I will dive into it since my craving for BD discs are not compromised - US and HK versions BD

Just my opinion..... ;)

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2009, 10:53 »
Ok guys finally got off the phone with the distributor and I have good news!  

Hardware modification
I have manage to negotiate down to $100 for the hardware modification.
* Please give 1-2 weeks for the hardware modification when shipment arrives.

Spears and Munsil disc
I have also manage to negotiate for the Spears and Munsil disc to be thrown in FREE when you opt for the hardware modification.

* The Spears and Munsil disc will still be available at $20 if you choose not to opt for a hardware modification.

Warranty
Warranty and support will be 1 year by the distributor SLT Tech including hardware modification.

For those interested in doing a hardware modification please drop me a pm before making the payment to me.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:55 by Darthfunk »

Offline singsing

« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2009, 11:11 »
No brainer for me given I am already committed to the OPPO. I'm IN !! DF - PM'ed you already. THNAK YOU  ;D ;D
Oppo BD-83 SE
Marantz SR6003, MF A3.5
MA RS6, RSLCR, Wharfedale Diamond 9
rears & SW150 sub
Starhub HD box
Pana Plasma

Offline dane

« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2009, 11:28 »
looks like the hardware mod will be official OPPO.. on avforums details will be published tomorrow

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-players/993293-oppo-bdp-83-region-owners-thread-39.html

great negotiations skills there DF!
Dynaudio Sapphire, Marantz SA-7S1, SC-7S2, MA-9S2 x 2

Offline jonlee

« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2009, 11:29 »
Who wants a special $999 price for player+disc+mod?  Come on slt, this is not a great loss to offer us pioneers this swee swee price.  :)

Ok guys finally got off the phone with the distributor and I have good news!  

Hardware modification
I have manage to negotiate down to $100 for the hardware modification.

Spears and Munsil disc
I have also manage to negotiate for the Spears and Munsil disc to be thrown in FREE when you opt for the hardware modification.

* The Spears and Munsil disc will still be available at $20 if you choose not to opt for a hardware modification.

Warranty
Warranty and support will be 1 year by the distributor SLT Tech including hardware modification.

For those interested in doing a hardware modification please drop me a pm before making the payment to me.

wah piang!  I ask for swee swee $999 choon choon we get $999.   ;D

Better chiong lunchtime to go buy toto for tonight.  $1.5M.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline 8dennis8

« Reply #178 on: June 18, 2009, 11:30 »
Msg sent for both sets. Thanks DF.
Sony Bravia X 46" LCD TV, Yamaha V3900 AVR, Definitive Technology Mythos STS, Definitive Technology Mythos 10, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL, SVS PC13 Ultra, SVS AS-EQ1, Octava HDMI Switch, Oppo BDP-83 Bluray Player, Sony PS3, Hub Station HD, Logitech Harmony One remote, Pioneer DV696 DVD Player.

Offline vieri

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2009, 12:08 »
DF,
Can opt to pay in cash to SLT when delivery comes with the modded set?

Vieri
Let my people go!!!!!