Author Topic: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments  (Read 65889 times)

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments & 1.4
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2012, 14:20 »
Aiborg G3000 is a cost effective on good bult connector vs G2800 , we have seen compare LA , pacific and Aiborg with same lenght of cable and found G3000 is a good buy.
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2012, 00:56 »
here we go again HDMI ver2 in 6 months time ;D
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2012, 23:39 »
HDMI can be as unpredictable as a woman... stick things in the wrong sequence and you don't get things turned on...

Using the wrong version (the current one is High Speed aka 1.4) and you won't get an image either...

Using some propriety system like Viera and she doesn't like it either.

So to trouble shoot your HDMI chain, try various combinations of switching on the equipment
Make sure your cables are up to date
If it is a long connection, use better cables

And be a little circumspect about the differences in HDMI cables too. Make sure the volumes are equalised before making claims about sonic improvements as differences in the levels can be interpreted as improvements...

Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline landis1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2012, 08:48 »
HDMI can be as unpredictable as a woman... stick things in the wrong sequence and you don't get things turned on...

i choked on my breakfast when i read this. funny ;D

Offline petetherock

« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2012, 12:51 »

Using the wrong version (the current one is High Speed aka 1.4) and you won't get an image either...

Using some propriety system like Viera and she doesn't like it either.

So to trouble shoot your HDMI chain, try various combinations of switching on the equipment
Make sure your cables are up to date
If it is a long connection, use better cables

Also there is a bit of HDMI cable voodoo when turning things on.
Usually I turn on the amp, the TV then the player... otherwise you need to switch inputs then come back to the original for things to be set right..

My gear:

Online francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2012, 13:47 »
I do the opposite, TV then BDP follow by the Amp.  When turning off, Amp, BDP and then TV.  So far, no problem with syn!

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
I do the opposite, TV then BDP follow by the Amp.  When turning off, Amp, BDP and then TV.  So far, no problem with syn!

I think as long as it works...the sequence of startup doesn't matter. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Offline petetherock

« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2012, 19:26 »
The other thing is HDMI cables and the input sockets do not like to be put under stress. Then problems will occur.

So if you are bending or flexing the cable hard, get a less stiff cable or consider an extender like this:
(make sure it is also HDMI 1.4)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069A6K6I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

My gear:

Offline matix

« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2012, 22:42 »
After reading this thread I still do not quite understand how I can get perfect 3D picture on my newly acquired Sony HW30 and Oppo 95 without a cable switch. I was lamenting the chore to change cables and was surprised my existing 22AWG cable from monoprice works.  It is what one will call a standard cable as opposed to a high speed one needed for 3D? I am wondering if I should still change cable as I may be missing out on something.  Is it because I am not using an AV amp and that is why the standard cable still work?

Offline n3wk1d

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm a newbies, be nice to me....
    • Alex Steelbook link
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2012, 08:19 »
As long as your cable is v1.3 and above, they can do 3d already.
High speed maybe required if your cable length stretch longer.

Normal cable even with high speed required higher gauge cable which in turn become very stff and small bending radius. If you are planning to change your cable for whatever reason, try out the monoprice new breed of cables with Redmere. Even at 28awg it can stretch up to 16m. There will be 42awg and 32awg cables which is something like your keyboard or mouse cable.

Real or not, i'm not sure but the signal test from normal hdmi cable and cable with Redmere shows significant difference. Whether it can be seen by our bare eyes is another issue, maybe some bro here with special eyes can detect the difference even with a slight color difference?

http://www.audioholics.com:8080/education/cables/redmere-active-hdmi-mea1689
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:29 by n3wk1d »
If you are buying from Amazon, please help me by clicking from the link    AMAZON USA  |  AMAZON UK    

Offline MrShane

« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2013, 03:21 »
Hi! Wow I believe I have found someone that can help me finally... Mr. Pete the rock or anyone else, After 4 years of getting parts I am ready to enter the higher end audio world! I have a 7.1 Infinity Beta speaker setup with the hps1000 sub and I got a crazy deal this week for two nice receivers (I think) The Harman AVR7550HD (retail 3K) and the Lexicon RV-8 (retail 7K) for $2000 total. The 7550hd has HDMI, audyssey, all the HD decoding, and two 32 bit Texas Instrument Aureus processors. The Lexicon which im guessing is better has two sharc hammerhead processors but no hdmi. I haven't seen anything that would get hd sound to the Lexicon, could I send pre-out's from the 7550hd to the lexicon analog in's? Looks like it's a 7.1 but only 5.1 possibility with analog in? Any work arounds or ideas? And then I don't know where the processing starts and ends and if I could somehow frankenstein these two together? Any thoughts or opinions would be amazing!!! I wanna try the Lexicon but would I be sacrificing too much in the way of HD sound? I will probably find out I need to buy more equipment haha. THANKS SO VERY MUCH IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline petetherock

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2013, 06:44 »
Hi! Wow I believe I have found someone that can help me finally... Mr. Pete the rock or anyone else, After 4 years of getting parts I am ready to enter the higher end audio world! I have a 7.1 Infinity Beta speaker setup with the hps1000 sub and I got a crazy deal this week for two nice receivers (I think) The Harman AVR7550HD (retail 3K) and the Lexicon RV-8 (retail 7K) for $2000 total. The 7550hd has HDMI, audyssey, all the HD decoding, and two 32 bit Texas Instrument Aureus processors. The Lexicon which im guessing is better has two sharc hammerhead processors but no hdmi. I haven't seen anything that would get hd sound to the Lexicon, could I send pre-out's from the 7550hd to the lexicon analog in's? Looks like it's a 7.1 but only 5.1 possibility with analog in? Any work arounds or ideas? And then I don't know where the processing starts and ends and if I could somehow frankenstein these two together? Any thoughts or opinions would be amazing!!! I wanna try the Lexicon but would I be sacrificing too much in the way of HD sound? I will probably find out I need to buy more equipment haha. THANKS SO VERY MUCH IF YOU CAN HELP

Welcome to XP

The Lexicon is a 2004 AV amp, and if you think having 2 Sharc DSP chips is a big deal, the 4311 has 2 as well. For 2k I would suggest you consider a newer model with Audyssey or one of the other auto-eq systems, especially since you are a novice at this.
The amps in this are potentially better,  but in your case, I don't really think these are big bargains, if you are keen on HT. You will need a lot of effort to setup them up.

The Harman AVR7550HD maybe a better option with HDMI 1.3 built in. I wouldn't try to combine the two. If HT is important, the auto-setup function is essential for newbies, unless you are willing to spend time and effort to calibrate yourself.

Read the manuals, and our stickies and make use of the search button, as there is a lot posted in our forum already.

My gear:

Offline BigHammer

• Snr Member
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2013, 01:31 »
Hi, I'm a newbie in HT setup. Would like to find out will a good quality HDMI cable improve picture n sound quality? Thanks

Offline petetherock

« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2013, 08:10 »
IMO the key is signal degradation.. So for short lengths most cables are fine, but if you are running 10 m or so, get a better one. Monoprice is good value, and Aiborg is quite popular too. See the sales thread for people who can supply them to you.

My gear:

Offline BigHammer

• Snr Member
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2013, 01:32 »
Thanks for the advice. Means if running in short length (2m), a $20 and $200 HDMI cable wouldn't make a difference?