Author Topic: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments  (Read 65835 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments & 1.4
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2011, 19:32 »
I believe there was a company that provided modifications to the old Oppo 83 to convert HDMI to 3xSPDIF which could work with some legacy AV prepro.

Think that company's stopped operating tho.

I expect the Lexicon shd have analog 5.1 or 7.1 inputs.

In this case, you can use a BDP that can decode HD audio and with good analog 5.1 or 7.1 outputs to the lexicon.

Use the HDMI from the BDP to the display.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline myspeaker

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2011, 21:06 »
Hi Doggie Howser

Thank you very much for the info. So the BDP should be sufficient w/o any special cables etc?

Do you know if any ordinary BDP like the Sony S765 will be sufficient, or do I need something more high-end to get the same effect as a hdmi receiver?

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2011, 21:17 »
As these are analog cables, you can probably find different price ranges, from cheap ones to more expensive ones. I'm not sure if you would consider them special or not :)

I haven't heard the Sony so I can't give an opinion one way or the other.

That said, you can probably pick up something like a pre-owned Oppo 83SE if you aren't averse to buying second hand, or have a listen to the newer Oppo 95. These two have upgraded DAC/analog outputs that may be a good fit to the Lexicon. Most people seem to prefer the sound from the analog outputs to HDMI. However, most of us still use HDMI because that maintains the signal in the digital domain while the AVR/P handles bass management and EQ. I don't know how the Lexicon handles EQ/bass management so it may or may not be a big deal to you.

If you have bucks to spare and want a modern, price no object, top of the line AVPre like the Lexicon, have a look at this:
http://www.krellonline.com/evolution707.html

:P
End of Line - Derezzed

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2011, 21:56 »
Hi,

Supposing I am using the Lexicon RV-8 receiver which does not have hdmi, how can I join in in these hdmi developments without changing my receiver? I heard there are certain wires you could buy. Thanks.

Bro welcome to XP

You have a very impressive legacy amp. Why partner it with a basic BR player.
If you intend to keep it, use a BR player with good analogue outputs such as the Oppo BDP 95.

But read the threads I have posted on the issues with multichannel inputs - just use the search button to find them.
I converted my old Marantz SR 12 to a power amp, and used a mid range AV amp as a processor. That allowed me to get the latest Audyssey calibration which you won't enjoy with the Lexicon.

If you are up the job of balancing the levels manually and calibrating them yourself (which perhaps you are since you have such a high end piece of equipment) then you can try it.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline landis1

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2011, 22:38 »
absolutely love the obligatory ass-shot of the lexicon ;D

Offline myspeaker

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2011, 16:43 »
Thank you for the replies! You people know so much about these things.

I read good reviews on the Oppo, but had several concerns: (1) e-commerce style of Oppo - shipping charges, warranty etc. (2) DVD region 1 and Blu-Ray region A only - and I'm not sure how to modify and whether modification will void the warranty (3) mandarin support (4) voltage given that product is from US.
Without these issues, I'll probably get an Oppo. Now, I'm looking at the Denon BDP2010. Lexicon has been trying to get me to use theirs but reviews say its a repackaged Oppo.  :)

Is the Krell a processor? I'm a little confused, for example, when Arcam calls the AVR-400, AVR-500 and AVR-600 as 'receivers' but calls the AVR-888 a 'processor', so I'm not sure what's the difference.

petertherock, when you say to choose a BR player with good analogue outputs, what details do you look for in the specification list to show that it' good?

Thanks all!

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2011, 17:42 »
Receivers are usually amps with tuners built in.

processors don't have amps. They are like pre-amps with processing and decoding for HT use.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline myspeaker

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2011, 17:51 »
I see. Thanks for the reply and giving my receiver a longer life with all these new hdmi developments.

Sorry for interrupting the hdmi topic.  ;)

Online petetherock

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2011, 01:36 »
There is no longer a 1.4 HDMI cable. But it is to opt for a better cable not so much because it will sound better but more that there is less chance of signal loss.

Monoprice USA makes decent cables and there are enough local shops which carry longer length cables. Just search this forum for more info.

My gear:

Offline armoury

• The lunatic is on the grass...
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2011, 11:28 »
I read good reviews on the Oppo, but had several concerns: (1) e-commerce style of Oppo - shipping charges, warranty etc. (2) DVD region 1 and Blu-Ray region A only - and I'm not sure how to modify and whether modification will void the warranty (3) mandarin support (4) voltage given that product is from US.
Without these issues, I'll probably get an Oppo. Now, I'm looking at the Denon BDP2010. Lexicon has been trying to get me to use theirs but reviews say its a repackaged Oppo.  :)

Oppo 93 and 95 are available at Audio Iconic, basement of Adelphi, so no warranty issues (83SE is discontinued, but second-hand ones are sometimes available).  With an added mod ($100), the Oppo becomes region-free for BD as well -- and this mod being done by AI does not affect warranty either.  Power supply I think is univesral anyway, but certainly there is no issue of 110V/220V.  Mandarin, I must admit I'm not sure, so you'll have to check the (lengthy) threads on the Oppo players.
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Online petetherock

HDMI over 1000 feet?
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2011, 09:57 »
http://www.rainbowfishcorp.com/Fiber-Optic-HDMI-Pro.html

Fiber Optic HDMI

Designed for commercial, studio and residential system contractors, the Rainbow Fish Fiber Optic HDMI Professional cable solves the problem of distance limitation for HDMI signal transfer. Rainbow Fish provides full HDMI signal integrity up to 1000 feet.

This is possible through the Rainbow Fish Fiber Optic HDMI technology which connects Rainbow Fish HDMI connectors via a precision glass fiber optic cable. Unlike conventional copper HDMI cables, the fiber optic cable is EMI-free and can transfer the full HDMI protocol over long distances.

My gear:

Online petetherock

« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2011, 12:48 »
Just in case anyone thinks there are no specs on the definition of "high speed" and "normal":
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49
What is the difference between a “Standard” HDMI cable and a “High-Speed” HDMI cable?Recently, HDMI Licensing, LLC announced that cables would be tested as Standard or High-Speed cables.

• Standard (or “category 1”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz or up to 2.25Gbps, which is the equivalent of a 720p/1080i signal.
  • High Speed (or “category 2”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).
More info on finding the right cable:
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/finding_right_cable.aspx

Cheers

My gear:

Online petetherock

Lengthy issues
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2011, 18:13 »
HDMI - Lengthy issues

If anyone is considering Long lengths i.e. > 10m, do take note.

There ARE differences in quality, and the longer the lengths involved, the more significant the differences. I found this out personally when I ordered some 15m cables off ebay from UK and there were plenty of jaggies and audio dropouts.

The HDMI output voltage from the cheaper BR players can also differ, but the quality of the cable plays an important role at such lengths.

These were basic and rather thin looking. I then got a 15m length from LHS for $170, and this one looks sturdy and the picture quality was good.  For 15m it works out to be slightly more than $10/m, which is good value in anyone's books. For anyone baulking at the cost, consider that companies like QED, IXOS etc charge more than that for a 2-3m length.

My gear:

Online petetherock

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2011, 22:31 »
Sparkies :

This usually happens on long cable runs, but check your cable, it may be of poor quality, or the run is too long.

However certain equipment can boost the signal or tweak their cable settings to avoid this to some degree, eg the Mitsubishi HC 4000 projector.

My gear:

Online petetherock

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2012, 15:20 »
Thanks to a recent introduction of a cable by Francis, the shops in Singapore and even our sales threads have become a little more quiet... 8)

Bear in mind, that if you are on a 1.3 system and have no intention of going 3D, what you have is likely to suffice, unless you get upgraditis...

A ABX test will be need soon to confirm the wonders of Aiborg!

My gear: