Author Topic: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments  (Read 65755 times)

Offline batdance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
Re: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments & 1.4
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2010, 20:03 »
got this from kinokuniya today.........(pic from a blog)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
HDMI 1.4 - or not...
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2010, 14:03 »
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18366012#post18366012

Beware:

Originally Posted by M Code 
The latest announced HDMI 1.4 AVRs from Pioneer and Onkyo use the present HDMI Tx & Rx ICs from Silicon Image, and are capable of 3-D video up to 1080i..Faster HDMI ICs with higher bandwidth capable of 3-D video up to 1080p will be available later this year..

To process 3-D HD video @ 1080p within the AVR (as a repeater) requires the latest Silicon Image ICs, #SII9387 Rx and #SII9334 Tx. These parts did not sample until late 2009 so it was impossible for the primary Japanese brands to design, debug, validate, certify, procure and build into mass production in time for delivery by 2nd quarter 2010. This is the most important quarter for a Japanese corporation as April is the start of their new fiscal year.

Additionally note that since the hype for 3-D HD video had already started last Summer so they took this approach. Note that this is very similar what Sony did with the PS3 @ launch time, they delivered HDMI 1.3 video but HDMI 1.2 audio yet they pushed as HDMI 1.3...

It is all in the hype, besides the changes in S/W for 1.4 requires significant code changes and these take significant time to write and debug..

The higher performance AVRs with HDMI 1.4 using the latest ICs that can handle the highest resolutions in 3D will be shown @ CEDIA 2010 & IFA 2010 in September and shipped in late 2010..
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline jeffong

• You'll Never Walk Alone
Onkyo HDMI v1.4 3D-Ready AV Receivers shipped
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2010, 21:17 »
Onkyo Introduces the World's First THX Certified 3D-Ready A/V Receiver

The Onkyo TX-SR608 THX-Certified A/V Receiver is one of several HDMI v1.4, 3D-Ready A/V Receivers and Home Theater Systems that will ship in March and April.

UPPER SADDLE RIVER, NJ, (3/9/10) -- Onkyo USA has announced March deliveries of its first 3D-Ready home theater receivers and home theater in a box (HTiB) systems. The new models consist of three A/V receivers and three HTiB systems ranging in price from $299 to $599, and all of them support the new HDMI v1.4 connectivity standard for new 3D video displays and Audio Return Channel capabilities. All are exceptionally well equipped to provide a superior music, home theater sound and video experience, with high build-quality and offering excellent value.

For Onkyo, a name that translates roughly to 'sound harmony' in Japanese, sound quality is preeminent. All these new receivers and HTiBs now decode lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreams, and include new 192-kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown PCM1690 DAC's that are highly resistant to clock jitter and provide a remarkable 113-dB dynamic range. The lineup includes Onkyo's new easy-to-setup overlaid onscreen graphical display that lets the user watch the program in the background while using the function menus. Additionally, all 2010 HDMI v1.4 models include a new feature call HDMI Thru. HDMI Thru allows content to pass through to the TV when the receiver is in a standby state.

The new TX-SR608 7.2-channel THX-Select2 Plus certified receiver has new power amplifier section that uses three-stage inverted Darlington output topology, and a power boost from 90 to 100 watts. Audyssey DSX dimensional sound processing has been added to its predecessor's Dolby PLIIz capabilities. Additionally, all video sources, including those using the new PC input, and regardless of source resolution, can be upscaled to big and beautiful 1080p via HDMI and Faroudja DCDi Cinema™. The TX-SR608 will also include a front HDMI input, a feature first introduced by Onkyo in 2009. The TX-SR608 will be available in April at an MSRP of $599.

The 5.1-channel TX-SR308 and 7.1-channel TX-SR508 round out this initial announcement of A/V Receivers from Onkyo. The TX-SR308 will be available in March with an MSRP of $299, a followed by the TX-SR508 in April for $399.

The HTiB package systems, which each consist of a receiver, speakers and a subwoofer, are the 5.1-channel HT-S3300 and 7.1-channel HT-S5300; the latter also includes an iPod dock. Thanks to the HDMI interface and the use of advanced Dolby and DTS codecs, all of these receivers and systems are also capable of decoding lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. The HT-S3300 will ship in March with an MSRP of $379, followed by the HT-S5300 in April for $599.

A third packaged system departs from the traditional HTiB form factor and uses a combination subwoofer and 3D Ready A/V receiver plus two front speakers. It uses Onkyo's own Theater-Dimensional processor to create an immersive and convincing surround effect through just 2.1 channels. The HTX-22HDX has three HDMI v1.4 inputs, handles HD audio formats from DTS and Dolby; offers four distinct audio modes for gaming; and outputs for additional speakers. The HTX-22HDX will ship in May with a $349 MSRP.

"Onkyo's 2010 entry-level product line represents a significant jump over last year's line," said Paul Wasek, Onkyo USA's marketing manager. "We are excited to deliver this first wave of 3D capable products. By upgrading to 1.4, even on the least expensive HTiB, we have eliminated all HDMI pass-through products and allowed HD audio formats to be used across the line. The fact that consumers can now buy a THX-Certified receiver with 1080p upscaling, Burr-Brown DACs, PC input and more for under $600 shows Onkyo's clear commitment to delivering performance and value to consumers."

All of Onkyo's receivers offer exceptional connectivity options with as many as six HDMI inputs, plus component and composite video, numerous stereo input jacks, optical/coaxial digital inputs, and the popular front-panel connections on many models. Two models include Sirius Radio connections, and all these receivers incorporate Onkyo's proprietary Universal Port (U-Port) connector which simplifies connections to optional HD Radio tuners and iPod Docks (included with the HT-S5300).
HDR Rulez - UHD-K8500 | Oppo UDP-203 | Zapitti One Mini
Stewart Firehawk 92" | LG 65E6T | Panny 65VT30 | Benq 5700
Denon 8500 | Denon 7200WA | Denon 4520 | SVS PC-12+ | JL E110
UHD BD Titles : Countless

Offline n3wk1d

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm a newbies, be nice to me....
    • Alex Steelbook link
Re: HDMI 1.4 - or not...
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2010, 11:41 »
For those whose worried about your cable capabilities of going 1.4 or 3D, here are some info I gather from the manufacturer.
As long as your cable bandwidth are there (10.2Gbps), you should have no issue going 3D.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18366012#post18366012

Beware:

If you are buying from Amazon, please help me by clicking from the link    AMAZON USA  |  AMAZON UK    

Offline petetherock

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2010, 11:52 »
Thats what I posted earlier bro :)
What I wanted readers to beware of was that the first few 1.4 and 3D AV amps were only capable of 1080i 3D, not because of the cables, but the video chip used.

Cheers.
For those whose worried about your cable capabilities of going 1.4 or 3D, here are some info I gather from the manufacturer.
As long as your cable bandwidth are there (10.2Gbps), you should have no issue going 3D.

My gear:

Offline HT102

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2010, 20:22 »
It appears that our HDMI v1.3 receivers can be updated with a new HDMI EDID firmware to support 3D video transmission.. perhaps still subjected to a bandwidth limit of 1080i@24/60Hz 3D.

Well, Harmon Kardon is the first of the CE manufacturer's to allow this upgrade (refer to link and extract below) and for free! Let's hope other manufacturers (e.g Denon, Onkyo, etc) will follow suit..

Ref: http://www.locale.harmankardon.com/en-US/HDMI14a.html

-----------------------

HARMAN KARDON Announces HDMI v.1.4a with 3D

Harman Kardon is a company that thinks ahead and one of the greatest features we provide on our AVR receivers is the ability to upgrade them when new firmware and technologies become available. To accommodate the excitement of 3D Video, Harman Kardon is pleased to announce a two prong strategy to deliver compatibility with the latest advancement in consumer electronics.

* Starting in September, all Harman Kardon AVR 2600, AVR 3600 and AVR 7550HD models will be shipping with HDMI v.1.4a with 3D. This will allow full compatibility with all 3D formats from either Blu-ray players or satellite and cable services.

* At the same time, all current owners of these models, regardless of the date of purchase, will be able to update their existing AVR’s to HDMI v.1.4a with 3D. This upgrade will be available at no charge from www.harmankardon.com. All you will need to do is download the software to a USB memory stick, insert the stick drive into the front panel USB jack of your AVR, and with a few button presses on the remote control, the AVR will be upgraded. No direct connection between the computer and AVR is required or software “loader” is required, greatly simplifying the upgrade process.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2010, 22:36 »
I think it depends on which video chip is used in the HDMI section in your amps or BR players. Some of the later ones are not dissimilar to those currently being touted as HDMI 1.4 (not 1.4a). And thats why the Onkyo and Yamaha releases are "pseudo-3D" since they are only 1080i.

I am watching this page first, since things are in flux and its all marketing fluff IMO right now with little software and even less industrial standardization.

My gear:

Offline HT102

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2010, 23:20 »
I think it depends on which video chip is used in the HDMI section in your amps or BR players. Some of the later ones are not dissimilar to those currently being touted as HDMI 1.4 (not 1.4a). And thats why the Onkyo and Yamaha releases are "pseudo-3D" since they are only 1080i.

I am watching this page first, since things are in flux and its all marketing fluff IMO right now with little software and even less industrial standardization.

Well, I am keeping fingers crossed that Denon will allow such upgrade to the AVR-4810, which apparently was planned to have HDMI v1.4 support that did not materialize. Furthermore, Denon has a history of providing features upgrade (it's an option in the setup menu!), albeit at a price. FYI, Audyssey DSX was recently made available to AVR-3310 for S$145.

Offline HT102

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2010, 18:56 »
The article below (refer link) mentioned the possibility of upgrading of HDMI v1.3 receivers to support 3D.

http://www.twice.com/article/452115-New_Audio_Products_Repeat_3D_Broadcast_Video_Formats.php

OTOH, it appears that the SiL9134 HDMI chip used in today's receivers can support the 3D Frame Packing Structure:

http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?pid=102

Offline petetherock

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2010, 21:53 »
Thats the 1080i chip I was referrring to in my earlier post bro.
The Full HD chips are not out yet..

OTOH, it appears that the SiL9134 HDMI chip used in today's receivers can support the 3D Frame Packing Structure:

http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?pid=102

My gear:

Offline Norman Chan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2010, 23:50 »
Does anyone come across review between a normal copper HDMI cable vs a Silver plated copper HDMI cable (the plating in %) vs a Pure Silver HDMI cable ?

Offline petetherock

Standard and high speed - that's it
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2010, 16:46 »
HDMI:

This is an excellent link:
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx?c=7#49

Note that the terms 1.3 and 1.4 are no longer in use, so beware if someone is trying hard to sell you a cable based on this.

There is only "Standard" or "High Speed".

The main difference is the former is good up to 1080i.

Q. What is the difference between a “Standard” HDMI cable and a “High-Speed” HDMI cable?
Recently, HDMI Licensing, LLC announced that cables would be tested as Standard or High-Speed cables.

Standard (or “category 1”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz or up to 2.25Gbps, which is the equivalent of a 720p/1080i signal.
High Speed (or “category 2”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 16:52 by petetherock »

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2011, 13:08 »
Just bringing this up... only two kinds of speed. And I seriously doubt small differences in speed matter...
HDMI:

This is an excellent link:
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx?c=7#49

Note that the terms 1.3 and 1.4 are no longer in use, so beware if someone is trying hard to sell you a cable based on this.

There is only "Standard" or "High Speed".

The main difference is the former is good up to 1080i.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2011, 20:14 »
What ARC means:
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

Audio Return Channel

The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data “upstream” to an A/V receiver or surround audio controller, increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection.

TVs have always been able to receive multi-channel audio through an HDMI connection, and this is still a typical use-case, with the TV positioned “downstream” from content sources and any connected audio equipment. However, if a user had a TV with a built-in tuner or DVD player, and wanted to send content “upstream” from the TV back to the audio system, a separate connection had to be installed, typically an S/PDIF cable.

* An Audio Return Channel-enabled TV can either send or receive audio via HDMI, upstream or downstream, depending on system set-up and user preferences.

* LipSync functionality, introduced in HDMI 1.3, ensures that the audio stays matched to the video, automatically compensating for any processor delays whether the audio is traveling upstream or downstream.

My gear:

Offline myspeaker

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2011, 17:38 »
Hi,

Supposing I am using the Lexicon RV-8 receiver which does not have hdmi, how can I join in in these hdmi developments without changing my receiver? I heard there are certain wires you could buy. Thanks.