Author Topic: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments  (Read 65890 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Re: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments & 2.0
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2014, 10:23 »
IMO as we discussed in the disc thread, software is the main issue...

Followed by the HDCP 2.2 issue... but there is news that the new Silicon Image chip is due in the first quarter 2015. That can bring some clarity to the HDMI / HDCP issue, and the average Joe won't need to feel frustrated about buying a product that is only partially complete.

But if 4k isn't vital, I mean, how much 4k content is there anyway? Then it's not a big deal. The big deal is the lack of info, and a clear path for both 4k content, HDCP, and also the Atmos vs Auro issues..
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2014, 12:08 »
Agreed...we will take the atmos calibration discussion in the appropriate thread. Let's stick to the HDMI 2.0 developments.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #182 on: July 04, 2016, 22:31 »
Just sounding like an old record perhaps .. but Please Do Not Hot Swap Your HDMI cable!
It can be a really expensive problem.
I don't switch off the amp, but if you really want to be safe, turn everything off then swop cables.. cheers

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2016, 23:24 »
HDMI 2.0b:

HDMI 2.0b, which is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI specification, is the most recent update of the HDMI specification. It also enables key enhancements to support market requirements for enhancing the consumer video and audio experience.

What are the key advanced features enabled by HDMI 2.0b?

Enables transmission of High Dynamic Range (HDR) video
Bandwidth up to 18Gbps
4K@50/60 (2160p), which is 4 times the clarity of 1080p/60 video resolution
Up to 32 audio channels for a multi-dimensional immersive audio experience
Up to 1536kHz audio sample frequency for the highest audio fidelity
Simultaneous delivery of dual video streams to multiple users on the same screen
Simultaneous delivery of multi-stream audio to multiple users (Up to 4)
Support for the wide angle theatrical 21:9 video aspect ratio
Dynamic synchronization of video and audio streams
CEC extensions provide more expanded command and control of consumer electronics devices through a single control point
HDMI 2.0b does not define new cables or new connectors.
Current High Speed cables (Category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth.

My gear:

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: July 09, 2016, 07:50 »
HDMI 2.0b:

HDMI 2.0b, which is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI specification, is the most recent update of the HDMI specification. It also enables key enhancements to support market requirements for enhancing the consumer video and audio experience.

What are the key advanced features enabled by HDMI 2.0b?

Enables transmission of High Dynamic Range (HDR) video
Bandwidth up to 18Gbps
4K@50/60 (2160p), which is 4 times the clarity of 1080p/60 video resolution
Up to 32 audio channels for a multi-dimensional immersive audio experience
Up to 1536kHz audio sample frequency for the highest audio fidelity
Simultaneous delivery of dual video streams to multiple users on the same screen
Simultaneous delivery of multi-stream audio to multiple users (Up to 4)
Support for the wide angle theatrical 21:9 video aspect ratio
Dynamic synchronization of video and audio streams
CEC extensions provide more expanded command and control of consumer electronics devices through a single control point
HDMI 2.0b does not define new cables or new connectors.
Current High Speed cables (Category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth.
I dun see any 'new' features been added to HDMI 2.0b specs...did I miss something here?

Sent from my LG-K535 using Tapatalk

Online Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #185 on: July 09, 2016, 08:51 »
I guess it just formalises the standards so we have a differentiation between the SR7010 and the 7011. Or the Avenge A3050 and the A3060 :P
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: July 09, 2016, 10:52 »
I guess it just formalises the standards so we have a differentiation between the SR7010 and the 7011. Or the Avenge A3050 and the A3060
Oh... I thought it's been ratified liao. Hmmm...

Sent from my LG-K535 using Tapatalk

Offline petetherock

« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2016, 20:44 »
Interesting test of some common HDMI 2 cables:
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/uhd-blu-ray-vs-hdmi-%E2%80%93-pt-2-which-cables-can-actually-pass-hdmi-20#WkR7SJ1iIVJeWIi1.97

Not all are created the same it seems, and not all will pass 4k..

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2016, 13:17 »

Just bringing this thread up, given the renewed interest with the 4k players.
In essence, most cables will pass the signal if they are kept short: i.e. 3m or less.
For longer lengths, it's best to test or see if others have used it.
If your cable is >5years old, it's likely that it's only HDMI 1.3 compliant, and you can consider changing it, especially if you are going to lay it.
Otherwise, most cables are 4k ready, ethernet ready, 3D ready. And that's what you look for on the packaging if you are buying a new cable.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-0-what-you-need-to-know/

Will I need a new cable?
NO! Well, probably not. Here is the exact quote from HDMI.org: "Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification does not define new cables or new connectors. Current High Speed cables (category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth." Emphasis mine. Here's another direct quote: "HDMI 2.0, which is backwards-compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI specifications..."

Version 2.0 (like 1.4 before it) is entirely a hardware change. It is not a cable change. You can expect cable manufacturers to proclaim that you need expensive new "Version 2.0 cables" but this is untrue. Your current High Speed cables should work just fine.

I hedge with "should" as if the cable isn't fully up to the High Speed spec, it might not work. In this case, you might get dropouts or sparkles (as discussed in this article). If you do, a different but not more expensive HDMI cable should work just fine.

It's worth mentioning, again, that 4K HDMI cables are nonsense.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #189 on: December 21, 2016, 12:25 »
YMMV but here is an opinion on whether you need those Premium cables:
https://www.cnet.com/news/premium-hdmi-cable-certification-program-what-you-need-to-know/

Personally, I will consider them if I need new ones, but I won't rip out my current ones if they work fine.

The Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program -- the brainchild of industry body HDMI Licensing -- is a way to identify cables that have been tested to perform at a specific level, i.e. they can pass 4K content.

But wait, you ask, can't any High Speed HDMI cable pass 4K content? Yes, as long as it's a true High Speed HDMI cable.

Though superficially an altruistic way to help people get the right cable, this program could also be an easy way for cable manufacturers to fleece an unsuspecting consumer.

High Speed HDMI

The beauty of the last few iterations of HDMI is they didn't require new cables. All High Speed HDMI cables have enough bandwidth to carry the new 4K content. In their announcement of HDMI 2.0, HDMI Licensing even said "Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification does not define new cables or new connectors. Current High Speed cables (category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth."

The changes were inside the devices. As in, the send/receive chips in TVs, receivers, Blu-ray players, etc., were HDMI 2.0 (or the older HDMI 1.4), but the cables were merely a dumb pipe without a version number. There's no such thing as an "HDMI 2.0 Cable."

Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program

Here's how HDMI Licensing describes their new program: "The program will help ensure that consumers, who will connect their devices with these cables, can enjoy the full potential of the 4K/UltraHD experience with the latest feature-rich content. This program encompasses additional and enhanced HDMI cable testing as well as a comprehensive anti-counterfeiting label program. This empowers participating HDMI Adopters to design and test their High Speed HDMI Cables for ultra-reliability and high performance typically needed for emerging 4K/UltraHD content."

The last sentence is key, but we'll come back to that.

In order for a HDMI cable to get a shiny certification sticker, it will have to go through testing to confirm it can "reliably support the full 18Gbps bandwidth of the HDMI 2.0 Specification."

Not every cable will be tested, of course. One would hope that each length within a series gets tested, such as the 1-meter, the 3-meter and the 6-meter versions of the Ultra Gold Superduper HDMI Cables from CableCo, not just 1-meter version.

Did you catch the number on that bus?

If this feels a bit like HDMI Licensing throwing consumers under the bus, it's because in a way they are. Up to this point, HDMI Licensing has been rigidly neutral. Now, they're officially saying that all cables are equal, but some are more equal than others. Cables from companies that can afford to pay the licensing fee get endowed with an explicit recommendation.

Make no mistake, this program has come about because the cable manufacturers that charge lots of money for their cables wanted a way to differentiate their products from budget HDMI cables. Not able to boast , this test and logo are a way to justify their higher prices.

True, this certification does guarantee the cable will pass 4K, but that doesn't mean a budget cable without this certification won't. Most almost certainly will, though longer passive cables may be less likely to, depending on your other gear.

A crowded market

HDMI Licensing isn't the only one getting into the certified cable racket. Underwriters Labs, also known as UL as well as that group that makes sure your gear doesn't burn down your house, is launching their own certification program. This is odd for a company that up to this point certified safety, and instead switching to certifying performance.

Bottom Line

In the end it appears like HDMI Licensing (and UL) are creating a solution without a problem. Why? Money. This is a new revenue stream for these companies, and inevitably these costs will be passed onto the consumer.

If you have an AmEx Black Card budget, have no fear. Your overpriced, certified cables will almost certainly pass 4K content, no problem. For us mortals that would rather not get burned on $100-a-foot HDMI cables (when $1-a-foot cables work equally well), buying cheap HDMI cables from reputable online outlets like Amazon or Monoprice, are still your best bet. As their outstanding user ratings can usually attest these cables should do everything you need them to now and into the future.

My gear:

Offline CASH

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
    • My Hi-Fi and H/T Set Up
« Reply #190 on: December 21, 2016, 13:04 »
thks for the in-depth research...
N quote's that come along with it...

but i still trust HDMI.org for their certification programs.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I LIKE EM, MEATY, THICK AND ROUND!!!!
Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
http://www.hraudio.net/library.php?user=11189

Offline petetherock

« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2017, 23:33 »

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/hdmi-forum-announces-version-21-of-the-hdmi-specification-300384117.html

HDMI FORUM ANNOUNCES VERSION 2.1 OF THE HDMI SPECIFICATION

Higher video resolutions and Dynamic HDR highlight
the new advanced features for the HDMI® eco-system

Las Vegas, Nevada – January 4, 2017 - HDMI Forum, Inc. today announced the upcoming release of Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification. This latest HDMI Specification supports a range of Higher Video Resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, Dynamic HDR, and increased bandwidth with a new 48G cable. Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification is backward compatible with earlier versions of the Specification, and was developed by the HDMI Forum’s Technical Working Group whose members represent some of the world’s leading manufacturers of consumer electronics, personal computers, mobile devices, cables and components.

“This new release of the Specification offers a broad range of advanced features for enhancing the consumer entertainment experience, as well as providing robust solutions to the commercial AV sector,” said Robert Blanchard of Sony Electronics, president of the HDMI Forum. “This is part of the HDMI Forum’s continuing mission to develop specifications for the HDMI eco-system that meet the growing demand for compelling, high-performance and exciting features.”

HDMI Specification 2.1 Features Include:
Higher Video Resolutions support a range of higher resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail.
Dynamic HDR ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast, and wider color gamuts—on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis.
48G cables enable up to 48Gbps bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support including 8K video with HDR. The cable is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.
eARC supports the most advanced audio formats such as object-based audio, and enables advanced audio signal control capabilities including device auto-detect.
Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing.
The new specification will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017."

Note the announcement of eARC! Supports all audio formats, including TrueHD/Atmos, DTS-HD MA and multichannel PCM, and has its own independent signaling.

My gear:

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #192 on: January 05, 2017, 00:10 »
Technology..... so fast!!48gbps 8k support!  :o

Offline CASH

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
    • My Hi-Fi and H/T Set Up
« Reply #193 on: January 05, 2017, 00:49 »
now u can see y i was very sticky on changing out all my existing old HDMI cables to the orange stickered "PREMIUM" HDMI cables...
at least its 18GBPS certified..
i know its not 48GBPS, but its in between..
hehehe!!!!
 ;D
I LIKE EM, MEATY, THICK AND ROUND!!!!
Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
http://www.hraudio.net/library.php?user=11189

Offline dXter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #194 on: January 05, 2017, 10:10 »
HEVC profile 6.2 states 8k120Hz, so still have at least one more round of HDMI spec upgrade to go.