Author Topic: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments  (Read 65832 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments & 2.0
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2014, 13:12 »

how about cables? does the current HDMI 1.4 cable between player/AVR and display needs to be changed to HDMI 2.0 cables to display 4K/60fps & 12 bit colors?

Yes if ur display is able to support higher color gamut depth and if you want to playback 4K material at 60fps.

At present, I dun see the need to rush and get a HDMI 2.0 cable since the 4K industry and standards still quite hazy and uncertain. Sigh...

Offline Hass

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2014, 15:03 »
i just spent over few days redoing my wiring & change layout... if need to change hdmi cable within 1 year.. really waste effort. I dont have 4k stuffs now but looking forward to change hopeful around xmas if got good deals

Offline racs

« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2014, 16:05 »
Is there such thing as hdmi 2.0 cable? hdmi 2.0 port yes but not the cable...

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#144

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#123

For now where got such thing as hdmi 2.0 cable....
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 16:07 by racs »

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2014, 16:12 »
Oh yes, check Palic 2.0 hdmi model Jade 3100. :)

Offline racs

« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2014, 16:57 »
bro, theres no such thing as hdmi cables with version eg. 1.3, 1.4, 2.0 for cables..  ;D the version is more on the hdmi port from the hardware. HDMI Cables type u can get is as below... please spare some time and click the ink below  8)

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

if u want the best get the high speed/ high speed w ethernet also labeled as category 2.
The thing u have to worry is the high speed can be supported up to how many feet long.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 17:13 by racs »

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2014, 17:35 »
Haha, well I m not going argue with you if you think there is no such thing as HDMI V2.0.  Got luck in your search for a good high speed with Ethernet labelled as cat 2...cheers ;D

Offline racs

« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2014, 18:57 »
Haha, well I m not going argue with you if you think there is no such thing as HDMI V2.0.  Got luck in your search for a good high speed with Ethernet labelled as cat 2...cheers ;D

Well im not arguing with u either... I just quote what the hdmi.org tells me if i understand it right. Blue jeans cable also explain to me too... but i cant find anything on google about ur palic 3100 only 3000 and they even never state wat u say hdmi 2.0 cable. Not much info either...
http://www.palic.com.au/productview.asp?pid=3
I'm trying to understand about these hdmi cable... not arguing... Your say is just like those typical salesman at sim lim trying to convince the buyer without any proof... This is a forum so lets discuss.. If im wrong... show me the right info and I learn..

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2014, 23:45 »
There's a way around it...
Have a dual HDMI BR player, pass audio to the Amp, and viddeo with HDCP 2.2 to the TV... but since no one has done this yet, it's difficult to know if this will truly work..
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2014, 07:21 »
For the HDMI cable versioning...it can get quite confusing at times. FWIW there are "indeed" so-called HDMI 2.0 cables selling in the internet like Amazon etc...(like the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-HDMI-Cable-4096-2160P/dp/B00GSE97FG

but they are really CAT 2 High Speed HDMI cables at best! So racs is right...NOTHING in the net that "claims" to be the latest HDMI 2.0 (at least not for now) is truly a "HDMI 2.0" cable...In the internet, there are numerous information all around you, but pick a "source" where it is the most relevant. For instance, for bluray standards, look out for reliable news from the "horse mouth" like BDA...and same goes for HDMI specs for cables and connections...I will advise to look at HDMI.org. If there is no information on HDMI 2.0 cable, then whatever that is currently sold and labelled as "HDMI 2.0" is at best - HDMI 1.4 cables - sorry...if one is not aware, we should not be using HDMI 1.3 or 1.4a/b etc...it should be referred to as HDMI high speed (Cat 2) cable with Ethernet.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:23 by desray »

Offline racs

« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2014, 09:06 »
For the HDMI cable versioning...it can get quite confusing at times. FWIW there are "indeed" so-called HDMI 2.0 cables selling in the internet like Amazon etc...(like the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-HDMI-Cable-4096-2160P/dp/B00GSE97FG

but they are really CAT 2 High Speed HDMI cables at best! So racs is right...NOTHING in the net that "claims" to be the latest HDMI 2.0 (at least not for now) is truly a "HDMI 2.0" cable...In the internet, there are numerous information all around you, but pick a "source" where it is the most relevant. For instance, for bluray standards, look out for reliable news from the "horse mouth" like BDA...and same goes for HDMI specs for cables and connections...I will advise to look at HDMI.org. If there is no information on HDMI 2.0 cable, then whatever that is currently sold and labelled as "HDMI 2.0" is at best - HDMI 1.4 cables - sorry...if one is not aware, we should not be using HDMI 1.3 or 1.4a/b etc...it should be referred to as HDMI high speed (Cat 2) cable with Ethernet.

Thank you Desray for the explanation... Yup everyone of us would like to change to the latest cable cos of latest technologies or updates. But in the market is different. They would love to push their product and label their cable as such and make us consumers believe and make us kanchiong there is another new cable while it is apparently the same as the highest standard as of now which we might already have. As for now... yup the high speed cat 2 is sufficient so those who have it now can say u r safe.

Offline kzone

« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2014, 11:21 »
i just bought LHS' high speed HDMI with Ethernet. Is that high speed cat 2?

Offline racs

« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2014, 16:07 »
yes bro high speed is also called category 2.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2014, 16:40 »
Good contributions by racs and des.
It's good to be clear so bros avoid being overcharged and swooping cables unnecessarily.

My gear:

Offline racs

« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2014, 08:32 »
Good contributions by racs and des.
It's good to be clear so bros avoid being overcharged and swooping cables unnecessarily.

No prob bro pete.. everyone is learning. I got to find out bout this cos I myself has been searching 25ft High speed hdmi cable for my receiver to my display to support at least up to 4k for now. And I need to run it inside the Lbox so I cant afford to get 1 and need to replace it again and again. I will post more info regarding the hdmi cable soon.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2014, 00:02 »

More info:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1535197-marantz-av8802-13-2-xlr-processor-hdmi-2-0-isf-wifi-bluetooth-details-20.html#post28152858

Per Jeff Coates (Director of Sales) the 8802 will not have HDCP 2.2 upon launch in Q1 2015 due to the lack of the chipset. When these do become available the 8802 and AVR-X7200W will be upgradable via a new HDMI board.

A mid product cycle AV-7702(A) may come about with the new HDCP 2.2 chipsets, but that will be a new model and existing 7702's won't be upgradable like the 8802. Not for sure yet if I understood him correctly. Also, as he mentioned as well as others here, no one knows if BR4K is going to go with HDCP 2.2 for sure yet and even if they do customers can still split video to the 4K monitor/projector and audio to the pre/AVR for units without it.
Eventually having to return a 8802 to upgrade it to HDCP 2.2 ... in my case this is a definitive nogo... as having a 8801, I'd better wait to buy the full complete hardware version of the 8802, even if Atmos is a must have in our 11.2 context.

Quote:  Originally Posted by Hugo S View Post  Hi,

With the provision that it hasn't been proved that as the 4K image needs a full HDCP 2.2 compatible chain to be played in 4K, the sound won't be submitted to the same constraint.

Meaning that if you connect a HDCP 2.2 4K BRD player to a HDCP 2.0 receiver, an Atmos/Auro 3D or future DTS/MDA track could only be played in its native Dolby/DTS 5.1/7.1 mode instead of the full Atmos/Auro 3D or whatever format, as in this case the HDCP 2.0 receiver could be judged as "insufficiently" compatible by the HDCP 2.2 BRD player...

This is a possibility that has better to be kept in mind in this HDCP 2.2 compatibility context...

Hugo

My gear: