Author Topic: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments  (Read 64289 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
HDMI 1.4 3D Specifications Announced
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 07:29 »
The specs:

http://www.hdmi.org/download/2010_02_02_3DExtraction_HDMI_Spec1.4_Final.pdf

The good news? We may have avoided a 3D format war.

While most HDMI 1.4 info is restricted only to those making HDMI 1.4 products, the 3D specifications have been released to the general public. It’s a dull read and it’s highly technical, but it’s available nonetheless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The gist of it all though, is that it’s unlikely we’ll have that 3D format war. The whole point of the release of the 3D specification is so that even companies that aren’t yet on board with HDMI 1.4 can make their gear compatible.

“The HDMI Consortium recognizes the importance of standardized 3D formats for movies, gaming and broadcast content and the need for non-adopter companies and organizations to have access,” said Steve Venuti, president of HDMI Licensing. “HDMI is ready to support this major market development.”

So it looks like we’ll be sticking with 120Hz televisions, active shutter glasses and, if you want your 3D in 1080p, HDMI 1.4.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:34 by petetherock »
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline cstanxpl

• Trade Count: (0)
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/specification.aspx

On Thursday, March 4, 2010, HDMI Licensing, LLC, on behalf of the HDMI Founders, released the HDMI Specification Version 1.4a, featuring key enhancements for 3D applications including the addition of mandatory 3D formats for broadcast content as well as the addition of the 3D format referred to as Top-and-Bottom.

The HDMI Specification Ver.1.4a and the Compliance Test Specification Ver.1.4a (CTS 1.4a) are now available for download only by HDMI Adopters.

However, the updated 3D portion of the HDMI Specification Version 1.4a is available for public download.

This document is extracted the HDMI Specification Version 1.4a. Its purpose is to provide access to the 3D portion of the HDMI Specification Version 1.4a for companies and organizations that require access to this portion of the Specification but have not executed an HDMI Adopter Agreement.
"With such collusions don't it make you wanna SCREAM?"

"Different folks !!! Different strokes !!!"

Offline petetherock

Re: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments & 1.4
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 13:01 »
Actually in order to get HDMI 1.4 at a lower cost, look for the new generation BR players, which will be equipped with 2 HDMI outputs, then get the HDMI 1.4 TV and run one set to the amp, and another to the TV.

But if the main thrust is 3D, then IMHO, I would wait. But if you suffer from upgraditis, which many senior members here do, then the potentially finanically large burden of overhauling the system will loom ahead.

Thats how companies make money, if everything stays the same no one will buy new stuff.
So you will need:
New TV
New AMP - good luck to our members who just bought that spanking new DSX / IIz equipped amp
New BR player
Plus new HDMI cables. The entire chain needs to be replaced.

But for those on a budget, this will be a good time to pick up bargains when the big guns sell their current stuff to replace it with 1.4 equipped hardware.

I am staying put for while, until the dust settles on HDMI 1.4, since so much is in evolution.

My gear:

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 13:42 »
What HDMI 1.4 brings to the table:

- Ethernet connectivity: we've already got Ethernet switches fixed up in most racks so it's not really an issue
- Audio "return". I don't watch TV and most who do use a set top box, so it's a non-issue. AGAIN.
- 3D video which is only available for TVs now and not projectors and you can simply work around by getting an HDMI 1.4 cable direct to the display. You would need a new HDMI1.4 cable anyway, remember? As long as the BR player supports dual HDMI outputs, you are sorted. Using AVR as a switch is a convenience but I know in the US, many work around the switching delays by using optical to AVR and HDMI direct to display anyway. Even today.

So this is not as big an issue as pete paints it out to be. IMHO

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline petetherock

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 14:07 »
Did I paint it to be a big deal or you feel that way?
EDIT
And you just repeated what I posted earlier on how to get 1.4 and 3D cheaper:

Actually in order to get HDMI 1.4 at a lower cost, look for the new generation BR players, which will be equipped with 2 HDMI outputs, then get the HDMI 1.4 TV and run one set to the amp, and another to the TV.

If you need to swop Tvs, and get a new BR player, I reckon in most owners' books, thats big enough a deal, but that not bother you bro..

And a change in cables too..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 14:19 by petetherock »

My gear:

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 14:56 »
Earlier you said that it was a big deal for those who upgraded to IIz/DSX amps, when it wasn't the case.

And the other stuff that 1.4 brings to the table are pretty much non-issues except for the 3D stuff which there are enough workarounds for.

So it's not too big a deal to upgrade if that's what you really wanted: just the 3D TV and the 3D BR which you'd have expected to get anyway. Those two would be the fastest to go obselete in the 3D stakes, not the AVR.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline petetherock

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 15:03 »
If you wish to upgrade the whole lot, then it is a big deal bro, and as I mentioned, it may not be more than small change for you, but even changing a TV or BR player is significant for the majority of new members, who may also be reading this thread. And some will consider changing the amp. See how some of our members change their amps / BR players / other equipment within months even Without the advent of 1.4, but that cost does not bother these members does it?

Its not fear mongering, in fact, my take on it, and also that of other members here as you can read from posts by HT102 in Jeff's thread is that we should watch and see, to decide if it is mature enough to take the plunge. Of course those with deeper pockets would not consider changing the equipment just because it is out there and it is new. After all the bragging rights to being the first kid on the block with HDMI 1.4 is a very tempting proposition for some of us, don't you agree?

:)
Earlier you said that it was a big deal for those who upgraded to IIz/DSX amps, when it wasn't the case.

And the other stuff that 1.4 brings to the table are pretty much non-issues except for the 3D stuff which there are enough workarounds for.

So it's not too big a deal to upgrade if that's what you really wanted: just the 3D TV and the 3D BR which you'd have expected to get anyway. Those two would be the fastest to go obselete in the 3D stakes, not the AVR.

My gear:

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 15:30 »
I think most of us are enthusiasts. I am not sure where you get the idea of bragging rights.

It's a hobby that most of us take seriously.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 17:20 »
I'm sure its the 'heat-wave' that's driving us 'nuts' here...cool off guys. Its just a discussion.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 20:18 »
Des

This is just two different perspectives of the HDMI debate ;) think your mod services are needed more in willoammaxtor's threads hehe :D
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline petetherock

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 20:22 »
I agree to disagree with DH.
DH has a different viewpoint, thats all. :)
Its all good, but I am keen to watch this page, and see, simply because I have too many things I will need to upgrade, so I have been watching the US market for signs that 1.4 will become mainstream. IMHO, that will only take place in 2011 or even later.

Cheers

EDIT:

A point is how much 3D do we want or is it just a novelty. Sometimes the inconvience of wearing glasses on top of my glassess seems like too much trouble. So sit tight, thats my advice esp to members who might be reading about all the hype of 3D and HDMI 1.4 which will come this year as vendors try to drum up support for this.

EDIT II:

Do I believe that our members here wish to be at the forefront of technology, need I say more? Of course, quite a few will pay premo prices to be the first to post here about their new HDMI 1.4 setups... just wait... :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 22:21 by petetherock »

My gear:

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 22:23 »
EDIT:

A point is how much 3D do we want or is it just a novelty. Sometimes the inconvience of wearing glasses on top of my glassess seems like too much trouble. So sit tight, thats my advice esp to members who might be reading about all the hype of 3D and HDMI 1.4 which will come this year as vendors try to drum up support for this.

My thoughts exactly...not all shows/movies requires a 'wow' effect...sometimes plain old vanilla presentation (2D) will do. If the story plot and cast is excellent - frankly 3D or 2D doesn't really make much of a difference...I will still immensely enjoy myself with the film. ;D

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 22:25 »
Des

This is just two different perspectives of the HDMI debate ;) think your mod services are needed more in willoammaxtor's threads hehe :D

And my official reply to that will still be - We'll continue to monitor for now.

;)

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 22:59 »
Did u even comment in that thread like in this one? Didn't think Pete and my discussions warranted a mod's direct intervention. :)
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 23:25 »
Did u even comment in that thread like in this one? Didn't think Pete and my discussions warranted a mod's direct intervention. :)

Eh...bro I'm not exactly sure which part of the below mentioned remark I mentioned in this thread antagonize you in such a hostile manner...before you pass a remark, pls take a moment to read my first posting...

"I'm sure its the 'heat-wave' that's driving us 'nuts' here...cool off guys. Its just a discussion."