Author Topic: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments  (Read 60437 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Re: HDMI discussion thread - including new developments
« Reply #210 on: January 09, 2019, 19:15 »
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/av-gear-certified-hdmi-21-not-likely-year
New gear won't be out this year with HDMI 2.1

One year later and here we are.. on the cusp of 2.1
It may take a while to stabilise... but I suspect mainstream AVR and TVs will have it by mid year.. so if you can tahan, things will be pretty exciting..
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline cstanxpl

• Trade Count: (0)
"With such collusions don't it make you wanna SCREAM?"

"Different folks !!! Different strokes !!!"

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2019, 13:16 »
Everyone just relax. Let the new specs marinate first before jumping to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline petetherock

« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2019, 14:11 »
Everyone just relax. Let the new specs marinate first before jumping to it.

+1

My gear:

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2019, 00:53 »
1st official product by Belkin?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EfNS3OUJE9o&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EfNS3OUJE9o&fs=1</a>
how to identify?
like 2.0 with “premium” label?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2019, 06:38 »
1st official product by Belkin?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EfNS3OUJE9o&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EfNS3OUJE9o&fs=1</a>
how to identify?
like 2.0 with “premium” label?

If talking about cables, I believed it will retain the high speed vs standard speed naming convention but with clear indication that it support up to 8k. I recalled reading somewhere in HDMI.org that the new fable will be marked as ultra high speed but number versioning should be refrained for product marketing/packaging. Maybe others can chip in as I might be wrong.

Offline HT102

« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2019, 07:56 »
These cable upgrades are a PIA for ceiling-mounted projector users.. for my case I will need to rework the cabling concealment furnishing (i.e. breaking/reinstalling false ceiling, painting, etc.) which will involve a few renovation vendors. :(

Offline petetherock

« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2019, 13:36 »
Or go for Ultra Short Throw ..
The new wave....

My gear:

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2019, 19:33 »
I’m redoing my projector runs soon. Going to do dual fiber HDMI runs for redundancy. It’s a pain, but a necessity. I recommend for anyone to make the cable path in such a syvthst it can be easily replaceable by yourself.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline petetherock

« Reply #219 on: January 24, 2019, 21:05 »
HDMI 2.1 is on the way
A lot of new cables ?
Best to run a guide cable to pull the old ones out..
https://lifehacker.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-hdmi-2-1-and-8k-tvs-in-2019-1831842410

"HDMI 2.1 versus 2.0 (and 2.0a and 2.0b)
HDMI technology has gone through several revisions and updates over the years. The current standard, HDMI 2.0, replaced HDMI 1.4 in 2013 and updated the technology to support 4K Ultra High Def (UHD) video at 60 frames-per-second, plus a number of AV features. Better still, it didn’t require you to have to travel to the dust-covered lands behind your TV and swap out all your HDMI cables.

Two interstitial updates—2.0a and 2.0b—expanded High Dynamic Range (HDR) support for HDMI 2.0, but are otherwise identical to 2.0 and also use the same cables.

HDMI 2.1, on the other hand, is an entirely different beast.

The main difference is that HDMI 2.1 increases your maximum signal bandwidth from 18Gbps (HDMI 2.0) to 48Gbps, which enables video resolutions of up to 10K and frame rates as high as 120fps—numbers that seem grossly unnecessary given current hardware realities, but impressive nonetheless. And future-proofed, so you (hopefully) won’t have to upgrade your cables or connectors for some time.

HDMI 2.1 also brings a number of other A/V features and enhancements, including:

Dynamic HDR, which is capable of changing HDR settings on a frame-by-frame basis.
Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC), which enables the use of object-based surround sound formats, such as Dolby Atmos.
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Quick Frame Transport (QFT) and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), which are helpful for video games since they reduce input lag, latency, and refresh rate for smoother, more accurate gameplay.
Quick Media Switching (QMS), which removes the delay when switching between resolutions and frame rates.
Aside from the higher signal bandwidth and new features, the other notable difference between HDMI 2.0 and 2.1 is that 2.1 will require new cables—something HDMI 2.0 mercifully did not, despite being a massive jump from HDMI 1.4.

These new cables, which are being called “ultra high speed” cables, are what enable the higher resolutions and refresh rates, but you don’t need to worry about buying them any time soon. Ultra high speed cables will only be required for the higher resolutions and framerates, while the additional HDMI 2.1 features (like eARC, Dynamic HDR, and the latency-reducing benefits) are compatible with most current HDMI cables.

Unfortunately, it will not be possible to update an existing HDMI 2.0 device to support HDMI 2.1 features via firmware or software updates; the only way to utilize HDMI 2.1’s features is by connecting an HDMI 2.1 device to an HDMI 2.1-supported TV (even if that connection is via a non-ultra high speed HDMI cable).

Here’s where it gets confusing, however. Depending on the device, “HDMI 2.1 support” might mean different things."
"

My gear:

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: January 24, 2019, 22:39 »
HDMI 2.1 is on the way
A lot of new cables ?
Best to run a guide cable to pull the old ones out..
https://lifehacker.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-hdmi-2-1-and-8k-tvs-in-2019-1831842410

"HDMI 2.1 versus 2.0 (and 2.0a and 2.0b)
HDMI technology has gone through several revisions and updates over the years. The current standard, HDMI 2.0, replaced HDMI 1.4 in 2013 and updated the technology to support 4K Ultra High Def (UHD) video at 60 frames-per-second, plus a number of AV features. Better still, it didn’t require you to have to travel to the dust-covered lands behind your TV and swap out all your HDMI cables.

Two interstitial updates—2.0a and 2.0b—expanded High Dynamic Range (HDR) support for HDMI 2.0, but are otherwise identical to 2.0 and also use the same cables.

HDMI 2.1, on the other hand, is an entirely different beast.

The main difference is that HDMI 2.1 increases your maximum signal bandwidth from 18Gbps (HDMI 2.0) to 48Gbps, which enables video resolutions of up to 10K and frame rates as high as 120fps—numbers that seem grossly unnecessary given current hardware realities, but impressive nonetheless. And future-proofed, so you (hopefully) won’t have to upgrade your cables or connectors for some time.

HDMI 2.1 also brings a number of other A/V features and enhancements, including:

Dynamic HDR, which is capable of changing HDR settings on a frame-by-frame basis.
Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC), which enables the use of object-based surround sound formats, such as Dolby Atmos.
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Quick Frame Transport (QFT) and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), which are helpful for video games since they reduce input lag, latency, and refresh rate for smoother, more accurate gameplay.
Quick Media Switching (QMS), which removes the delay when switching between resolutions and frame rates.
Aside from the higher signal bandwidth and new features, the other notable difference between HDMI 2.0 and 2.1 is that 2.1 will require new cables—something HDMI 2.0 mercifully did not, despite being a massive jump from HDMI 1.4.

These new cables, which are being called “ultra high speed” cables, are what enable the higher resolutions and refresh rates, but you don’t need to worry about buying them any time soon. Ultra high speed cables will only be required for the higher resolutions and framerates, while the additional HDMI 2.1 features (like eARC, Dynamic HDR, and the latency-reducing benefits) are compatible with most current HDMI cables.

Unfortunately, it will not be possible to update an existing HDMI 2.0 device to support HDMI 2.1 features via firmware or software updates; the only way to utilize HDMI 2.1’s features is by connecting an HDMI 2.1 device to an HDMI 2.1-supported TV (even if that connection is via a non-ultra high speed HDMI cable).

Here’s where it gets confusing, however. Depending on the device, “HDMI 2.1 support” might mean different things."
"

Thanks Pete for sharing...

So the only difference is with the higher refresh rate - e.g. 8K@60fps or 4K@120fps which will require a HDMI 2.1 cable. Other than that, the other new HDMI 2.1 *features* like eARC for instance can still be activated on the current HDMI 2.0a/b cable.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #221 on: March 19, 2019, 15:03 »
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough
SONY's higher end TV models tested on DTS:X and ATMOS pass thru via eARC. Pity...PANASONIC models not tested.

Online kikoman

• Why so serious?
« Reply #222 on: March 20, 2019, 00:08 »
I got my 2.1 optical hdmi for two weeks now. Tested the  PQ and SQ not bad on my ub9000.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:19 by kikoman »
AV8802A MM8003
Mcintosh C2300 MC275 MC452 MC207
THIEL CS2.4 SE
Panasonic UB9000
Panasonic UB820

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2019, 07:09 »
I got my 2.1 optical hdmi for two weeks now. Tested the  PQ and SQ not bad.

Can share details of the optical Hdmi 2.1 cable?
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2019, 07:13 »
Can share details of the optical Hdmi 2.1 cable?

+1...any "significant" improvement to the overall PQ/SQ? I dun suppose so for normal 8-bit 4:2:0 bluray? I could be wrong...