Author Topic: Cayin VP-100i at 4 ohms  (Read 3579 times)

Offline BlueSonus

Cayin VP-100i at 4 ohms
« on: May 04, 2009, 00:11 »

I currently have the Cayin VP-100i driving a 4 ohms speakers.

The VP-100i is rated in 8 ohms (2x24W Triode), 2x50W Ultralinear) only by the manufacturer specificatiions, soooo.....if it is connected at 4 ohms, does it mean 2X48W Triode, 2X100W Ultralinear?

Waiting for someone to shed more light into this.
CEC TL1 + Benchmark DAC1 => CARY SLP-98 => McIntosh MC252 => Sonus Faber Cremona

Offline BlueSonus

Re: Cayin VP-100i at 4 ohms
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:17 »

The Cayin is connected to the Sonus Faber Cremona rated at 4 ohms........
CEC TL1 + Benchmark DAC1 => CARY SLP-98 => McIntosh MC252 => Sonus Faber Cremona

Offline yellofit

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:43 »
The Cayin is connected to the Sonus Faber Cremona rated at 4 ohms........

The cremona's are power hungry speakers especially the scanspeak ring radiator tweeter. How do you find the cayin with them out of breath?

I managed to find some measurements from stereophile, it dips to 2.8 ohm from 4 ohm. So needs plenty of current to drive it well. See link below:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/304sonus/index3.html

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:48 by yellofit »
Cayin CD17A / 6SN7 DIY preamp / Cary SLM 100 power / Audio Physic Virgo 2

Offline watchdog

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 12:13 »
Nope. You will still get 24W (Triode) or 50W (UL) max.

You must be thinking of solid state amplifiers where halving the load may result in more power.

The VP-100i is rated in 8 ohms (2x24W Triode), 2x50W Ultralinear) only by the manufacturer specificatiions, soooo.....if it is connected at 4 ohms, does it mean 2X48W Triode, 2X100W Ultralinear?

Less is more !

Offline HoSaybo

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 13:07 »
even for SS amp, the ideal is that power double whem impedance drop from 8 to 4 ohm but realistically, most of the amp don't. Only the really good amps is ca[able of that!

Offline cayinist

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 13:37 »

What's your take on the amp?  Have you tried rollin' the tubes?

Offline BlueSonus

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 20:10 »
I had the Electa Amator before settling on the Cremona.  In terms of the VP-100i driving the Cremona, I feeel the VP-100 is more than up to the task.  With the Electa, the VP-100 seems to struggle...no significant volume increment when cranking the volume knob past the 2 o'clock (for some loud CDs).

With the Cremona, I can play my Orchestral pieces, Kodo, Joe Satriani, etc without having the volume knob past 12 o'clock.  I am kinda rock n roll guy but also into powerful vocalists.

Then yesterday I found out that I had the Cremona connected at the VP-100i's 8 ohms speaker terminals. After reconnecting the positive end to 4 ohms, I found that I only needed the volume knob is around 1 hour less for the same volume.  I thought I could be imagining the difference in volume and the volume knob position.  Hence, the question that I raised.

The cremona's are power hungry speakers especially the scanspeak ring radiator tweeter. How do you find the cayin with them out of breath?

I managed to find some measurements from stereophile, it dips to 2.8 ohm from 4 ohm. So needs plenty of current to drive it well. See link below:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/304sonus/index3.html

Offline BlueSonus

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 20:17 »
The VP-100i is still with it's original tubes.  Before getting the Cremona, I had the intention of changing the Cayin for SS amp, coz I listen to my music LOUD!  With the Cremona, I am hearing a lot of details and the lows went alot lower.  I am very satisfied with this pairing, the Cremona can go LOUD without straining the VP-100i.

As for tube rolling, I'll wait till I have settle the cable choices.

What's your take on the amp?  Have you tried rollin' the tubes?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 21:20 by BlueSonus »

Offline BlueSonus

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 20:20 »
I can accept your explanation, but it doesn't explain the higher volume I get for the same position of the volume knob after I changed the speaker connection from 8 ohms to the 4 ohms terminals.

Nope. You will still get 24W (Triode) or 50W (UL) max.

You must be thinking of solid state amplifiers where halving the load may result in more power.

Offline yellofit

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 21:42 »
I had the Electa Amator before settling on the Cremona.  In terms of the VP-100i driving the Cremona, I feeel the VP-100 is more than up to the task.  With the Electa, the VP-100 seems to struggle...no significant volume increment when cranking the volume knob past the 2 o'clock (for some loud CDs).

With the Cremona, I can play my Orchestral pieces, Kodo, Joe Satriani, etc without having the volume knob past 12 o'clock.  I am kinda rock n roll guy but also into powerful vocalists.

Then yesterday I found out that I had the Cremona connected at the VP-100i's 8 ohms speaker terminals. After reconnecting the positive end to 4 ohms, I found that I only needed the volume knob is around 1 hour less for the same volume.  I thought I could be imagining the difference in volume and the volume knob position.  Hence, the question that I raised.

Thats great to hear, next is to change the stock tubes to some gold lion reissue or Shuguang treasure KT-88, you sure will be much more inpress with the amp. I guess the amp's output trans comes with 4 and 8 ohm tap, matching it with the speaker crossover i guess you will get better results.
Cayin CD17A / 6SN7 DIY preamp / Cary SLM 100 power / Audio Physic Virgo 2

Offline mHiFi

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 08:59 »
Thats great to hear, next is to change the stock tubes to some gold lion reissue or Shuguang treasure KT-88, you sure will be much more inpress with the amp. I guess the amp's output trans comes with 4 and 8 ohm tap, matching it with the speaker crossover i guess you will get better results.

Right, possible amp internal connection reverse. IMO,matching ohm with speaker and amp should sound louder.

Offline BlueSonus

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 10:16 »

Will be curious to hear opinions about the difference in music reproduction between the VP-100i against 100-200 Watt/ch SS amps if I make the amp-Cremona pairing change.

My listening is 40:60 ratio between vocals and full bandwidth bass laden music.

Offline Hitokiri_Battousai

• Hifi Aficionado
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 14:20 »
Will be curious to hear opinions about the difference in music reproduction between the VP-100i against 100-200 Watt/ch SS amps if I make the amp-Cremona pairing change.

My listening is 40:60 ratio between vocals and full bandwidth bass laden music.

Given that you like bass-laden music, you will definitely enjoy your cremona with a good ss power stage/monoblocks...cremonas do loud punchy bass stuff very well, and when fed through amps with good grip/damping factor (eg class d) and power, the bass is really solid and seemingly tactile, but when compared to tubed stuff, will lose out in overall liquidity, sweetness in the midrange, etc, however, ss amp's bass improvement/tightness is certain.

Offline BlueSonus

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 18:01 »
Hmmmm.....sounds like I need to look into tube Pre-Amp and SS Power-Amp combo?

Offline Hitokiri_Battousai

• Hifi Aficionado
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 19:50 »
Hmmmm.....sounds like I need to look into tube Pre-Amp and SS Power-Amp combo?

Definitely worth looking into such a combo for your case; best of both worlds situation. Once you feed the cremonas with say, a class d amp/monoblocks rated 300-400w at 4ohms, you will definitely hear them roar for the first time (esp. bass-wise), that I can assure you. You can also put them on good spike footers and the mids will sound better and you will also be able to tame some sibilance too.

Best of luck!