Author Topic: Denon AV amp owners thread - info and tips  (Read 545137 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Denon AV amp owners thread - info and tips
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:28 »
This allows owners to share with potential owners about the Denon range.

I will also link this to the various other useful areas.

The xx 09 range:
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=58357.msg428640#msg428640

Audyssey:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=58357.msg428968#msg428968
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline petetherock

New Range
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:29 »

The New xx10 range for this year:

http://www.avclubhouse.com/2009/04/29/denon-avr-3310ci/

Denon will be launching the new AVR-3310CI in July with an MSRP of $1499. There have been many improvements to the new Denon receiver lineup and the AVR3310CI will be at the heart of the lineup. The new receiver will feature 7 channels at 115 watts each.Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Network, HD Radio, and HDMI Upconversion. Below I have inserted some screen shots and the new features. Enjoy!

New Connectivity

- HDMI 5 inputs

- USB front input

- HD Radio

- Sirius Ready (*No XM)

New Audio/Video Technology

- Fully 10-bit i/p and scaling (ABT2010)

- Picture Adjustment and Noise Reduction

- HDMI to HDMI scaling

- Clock Jitter Reducer for Digital signal

- Dolby Pro Logic II Extended

- Audyssey MultEQ (*Not XT)

New Network Features

- Flickr Online Photo Service

- Rhapsody + Napster

- Firmware Update

- Audyssey Pro

New User Interface

- S-type main remote

- New zone remote

- New GUI

- Multi Zone Management via Ethernet

- Sleep Timer

My gear:

Offline petetherock

Does new equate to good?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 22:53 »
With each year, companies tend to introduce a new line of products, as feature-crazy consumers who crave the latest features neccesitates a model change.

But do we need those new features? How many of us are running 7.1 or will run 9.1 speakers?

On the other hand, companies may even subtract features or leave out things which matter, so that they can keep to the same price point.

Take the new Yamaha 665 vs the 663 for example, more features, and less power. Same thing with the Onkyo x06 vs the 05 series, albeit with new features. They took out the amp section, left the heat issues and made things more expensive.

However with the replacement of the older stuff, it may be a good time to cash in. The 09 Denons and even the 06 Onkyos are getting cheaper, and will be a good buy, with all the features, which will not go out of date that soon.

For owners of the current Denons, I see no sleeping losing features yet, and HDMI 1.4 is not on the cards yet.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

2010 line up
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 23:24 »

My gear:

Offline petetherock

Denon First with DSX
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 13:34 »
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/news/denon_first_with_dsx/

What is DSX - http://www.ultimateavmag.com/news/audyssey_dsx/

DSX stands for Dynamic Surround Expansion. In addition to the standard 5.1 channels of most home-theater systems, it will provide the option of adding up to six additional full-range channels. Ideally, these extra channels would be discrete—that is, separate, independent channels in the source content. But there's no such content available at this time, so DSX derives the added channels using advanced digital signal processing. No artificial "enhancements," such as delays or added reverb, are involved.

The extra channels are called Left and Right Wide, Height, and Back Surround, and each requires its own speaker. The Wide speakers should be located at ±60 degrees from the center—that is, well outside the main L/R speakers but still in front of the listener. The Height speakers should also be located outside the main L/Rs at an angle of ±45 degrees, and they should be raised above the plane of the other main speakers at a vertical angle of 45 degrees. The placement of the two Back Surround speakers is not well defined, but they should be directly behind the listeners.

May 13, 2009 — Shortly after Audyssey introduced its new DSX technology, Denon became the world's first manufacturer to announce an A/V receiver with DSX capabilities. The AVR-4310CI was unveiled at Denon's new-product showcase held in New York on Monday along with a bevy of other products, including a total of nine AVRs ranging in price from $350 to $2000 for the flagship 4310CI. Release dates range from May to July.

As expected from Audyssey's announcement, the 7.1-channel AVR-4310CI lets you specify the back-surround channels as left and right Width or Height channels, which provides a greater sense of surround envelopment than back-surround channels. In addition, the 4310CI provides Dolby Pro Logic IIz, which also adds height channels. Among the differences between DSX and PLIIz is that DSX works only with a 5.1 source, whereas PLIIz can derive up to 7.1 channels (5.1 plus left and right height) from any number of channels in the source, which is why Denon has included both in the 4310CI.

Even better, Dolby PLIIz is included in all the new AVRs, though DSX is available only in the 4310CI. All new models also convert all analog-video inputs to HDMI, and the onscreen display is also visible via HDMI, making these AVRs true one-cable solutions. The two top models offer enhanced networking capabilities, and all models from the AVR-1920CI/790 and up provide full 10-bit video processing with 12-bit output thanks to the switch from Faroudja to Anchor Bay Technologies chipsets. In the 4310, a Silicon Optix Realta handles the HDMI processing, while ABT takes care of the component and composite inputs.

My gear:

Offline humyt

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Denon AV amp owners thread - info and tips
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 14:36 »
Would be interested to know the 7.1 height channels versus the conventional rear channels surround. If anyone find any comparison, please post it  :)

Pre/Pro: Denon AVR-4810CI, Mains & Center: Seaton Sound Sparks, Surrounds: JBL 8340A (4), Amp for surrounds: Rotel RMB-1095, Subs: Seaton Sound Submersive (2), Sub EQ: SVS AS-EQ1, Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-83, Projector: Panasonic PT-AE3000E, Screen: Carada 112" Criterion 2.35:1 Brilliant White

Offline petetherock

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 14:46 »
Considering that the xx10 series is NOT in SG yet, that would be hard, don't you think?

:)

Edit

Having used the front channel surrounds before in an older Yamaha, that gives more ambience, but if you have a small HT room (read most HDB based setups) this extra feature may just be another means to move more boxes...

I rather get a good processor, good power section and enjoy the plain vanilla hi def than get suckered into this for now.

Would be interested to know the 7.1 height channels versus the conventional rear channels surround. If anyone find any comparison, please post it  :)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 14:51 by petetherock »

My gear:

Offline chongj88

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55 »
Does anyone out there have any idea when the new xx10 range of receivers will reach our shores? I was originally eyeing a 2809 but was told that they are out of stock (I called KEC and Alpha Audio).

Actually, for my needs, a 2809 is good enough and if any soul out there is selling or knows of any shop out there having stocks, please PM me. Otherwise I'll have to tahan another month or two to wait for 2310 or 3310...

Offline asianboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 10:15 »
Does anyone out there have any idea when the new xx10 range of receivers will reach our shores? I was originally eyeing a 2809 but was told that they are out of stock (I called KEC and Alpha Audio).

Actually, for my needs, a 2809 is good enough and if any soul out there is selling or knows of any shop out there having stocks, please PM me. Otherwise I'll have to tahan another month or two to wait for 2310 or 3310...

ohh 2809 no more stock ald? I was thinking of getting it end of this month. Look like have to wait for 3310  ::)

Offline jimi

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 14:05 »
When are these new amps arriving in Sg?

Hmm... maybe I should delay my purchasing a bit..  :(

Offline asianboy

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 16:08 »
should be end of July.

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 17:50 »
great... now i'll be itching to upgrade 1910 or 2310....  :P
Dynaudio Confidence C2, Center, Contour SR, IC 17, Contour S1.4LE
Plinius CD101, Tautoro, SA103, Gold Note Valore Lite
Soundgenic, Yulong DA8-II
Denon AVC X8500H, Sony BDP X700, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700
finite elemente Pagode Master Reference MkII

Offline max007007

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 21:18 »
waiting for the 1910. Heard from CE @ sls, stocks will reach in July.
Price unknown yet

Offline asianboy

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 10:08 »
Denon singapore site has updated with new models.

Offline etnt

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 06:13 »
1910 and 4310 are already at KEC. Never asked the price for the 1910, but 4310 is at $2075 for a limited period.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal