Author Topic: Coffee discussion  (Read 112125 times)

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Re: Coffee discussion
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 17:46 »
I would recommend Highlander - its MRT and bus friendly (near SGH) and Phil and Cedric are happy to entertain a few out the back with other machines and the roaster to explain how things are done. They can accomodate a good size group too. www.highlandercoffee.com

Peaberry and Pretzel are now called some other place and serve 5 senses beans from WA in Oz.
A new roaster at Hopper Rd called http://www.papapalheta.com also have not bad coffee
Sooma unfortunately closed too...a shame as they made a nice coffee indeed.
Another roaster is at Biopolis near the citibank ATM - not open weekends tho :(
Another place at Hitachi twrs called Black is also meant to be ok but I have yet to try as I dont get to raffles place that often.

But if a coffee gathering is on the cards I will be there for sure - long as I am in Singapore.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline ht.chua

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 21:18 »
Bougt two sets double walled coffee cup @$9.60 per set at Temple street.

francis woo

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 22:25 »
I have a set (2) of double walled high glass cup kindly donated to me by Bro Kelso.  Just the right height for cappuccino, talking of which, if you are around area, please drop by and let's enjoy my Nespresso coffee.  Many blend available for your taste bud......... ;D

Offline ht.chua

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 23:23 »
Thanks Francis.  Will give you a call when travelling east.
chua

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 23:29 »
Nice cups htchua, we can do another YCK area drink / Hi Fi and you can come with your cups!

I have some Sydney Campos coffee to fill your nice cups.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 23:45 »
Always wanted to try the Campos coffee...  hope for your sake its beans and not pre ground. Anything roasted more than a month ago will be well past its prime... best 5-15 days after roasting and must grind and pull your shots or brew immediately before oxidation begins.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 23:48 »
I am no expert, will check, it could be ground stuff... anyhow, I can get some friends to ship some fresh over....
I have a brand new plunger thing, but do the same stuff fit your super machine?

So how about it, a coffee night?

Since next weekend is Francis' shootout maybe a week or two after...

Always wanted to try the Campos coffee...  hope for your sake its beans and not pre ground. Anything roasted more than a month ago will be well past its prime... best 5-15 days after roasting and must grind and pull your shots or brew immediately before oxidation begins.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 11:36 »
I buy my coffee from Harvey Norman or Best Denki ;D Martello Brand. I like the Red and the Gold

I had those high pressure machines where you get the best fresh dark roast super finely ground expresso, spend 2 minutes tamping the thing down before locking it in..... Best coffee, but messy and cleaning for 1-2 cups is not worth it.

Decided that Harvey Norman expreso is good enough. It has the head, the aromatic oils are there and cleanup is just a few seconds. Everytime I buy coffee, I get to browse the latest HT stuff  ;D

Offline ht.chua

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 12:33 »
We can get freshly roasted coffee beans from Highlander.  Shall we learn from Wizardofoz how he
pulls the shot as shown in his picture.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 15:28 by ht.chua »

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 13:30 »
thats not my pic but its close to what I get... I have been detoxing for a month so not had coffee for a while :'(

you can also get fresh roasted beans at Orieole (spelling) behind 313 orchard at the pacific appartments also very good. John there is the national barista champion here 2 yrs running IIRC

will post some pics when i get back to coffee again which wont be long as I just got some new organic beans from east timore

Offline jimi

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 14:22 »
thats not my pic but its close to what I get... I have been detoxing for a month so not had coffee for a while :'(

you can also get fresh roasted beans at Orieole (spelling) behind 313 orchard at the pacific appartments also very good. John there is the national barista champion here 2 yrs running IIRC

will post some pics when i get back to coffee again which wont be long as I just got some new organic beans from east timore

That oriele place is pretty good. The piccolo latte is very good and surprisingly strong.

The food is ok, a bit too strongly flavoured- was v spicy, which I like, and very garlicky, which I didn't like so much (semi raw garlic is a bit pungent, if I'm going to eat that much I'd preferred it fully cooked).

I'm pretty simple when it comes to coffee making at home- just have a ceramic grinder and filter paper. Cheap as chips and supposed to be the best way of tasting a coffee. Have been pretty impressed with the Nespresso range, reasonable taste (though cannot use own beans :() but the ease of use and easy cleaning and maintenance are a real boon.

I get my beans from a roasting shop on Balestier road, pretty good stuff and quite value for money- can't remember the name now but its the only one there AFAIK.

My favourite are India beans from this place(though they don't always have it): http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/store/asset/file/00/6l/NEWSLETTER_2010_Issue_5.pdf
I always ask my relatives to bring me over a little every time if they can.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 14:27 by jimi »

francis woo

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 14:43 »

I'm pretty simple when it comes to coffee making at home- just have a ceramic grinder and filter paper. Cheap as chips and supposed to be the best way of tasting a coffee. Have been pretty impressed with the Nespresso range, reasonable taste (though cannot use own beans :() but the ease of use and easy cleaning and maintenance are a real boon.

Haha, reasonable taste....sorry Bro, I disagree.  You have not tasted the various blend from Brazil, South Africa, India, Colombia and Indonesia yet!!... :D Come to my place again and I will let you try out each flavor...... ;D
Just got 20 x 10 capsules (average 60 cents per capsule, 10 in a box) supply from one of the Bro's here who is a pilot and flies to London regularly.
Can hold Coffee drinking session in my place also......... :D
Just let me know the day and time.

Offline jimi

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 21:21 »
Haha, reasonable taste....sorry Bro, I disagree.  You have not tasted the various blend from Brazil, South Africa, India, Colombia and Indonesia yet!!... :D Come to my place again and I will let you try out each flavor...... ;D
Just got 20 x 10 capsules (average 60 cents per capsule, 10 in a box) supply from one of the Bro's here who is a pilot and flies to London regularly.
Can hold Coffee drinking session in my place also......... :D
Just let me know the day and time.

*heh* thanks bro. Actually I'm a 'regular' at the Nespresso shop in Ion, free coffee whenever I'm nearby.

Still, feeling a bit ashamed these days to go and 'try another' at the shop.

The system is unbelievably user friendly. Perhaps you're right, am getting too fussy in my old age, the taste is surprisingly decent and the milk frother works v well. Just that I miss being able to buy my own beans and grind them fresh- there IS a difference- but then again, life's too short to be cleaning the grinder and coffee machine, etc.

I guess that they make the money on the caps, a bit like in games consoles. The monopoly business structure does bother me a bit too.

BTW how much did you get yours for again? A friend is coming over from the UK, could ask them to get me one if you have any lobang.

francis woo

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 22:29 »
I remembered I paid $420 (mine is under Krupps with milk) which came with a big box that includes a box of 20 capsules (different blend), a espresso class coffee plate and cup, and operating manual plus another 18 boxes (10 capsules each box) free gift (promotional item).
Now with the pounds lower than before, u sure can get a bargain....... :D

Offline jimi

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 23:33 »
I remembered I paid $420 (mine is under Krupps with milk) which came with a big box that includes a box of 20 capsules (different blend), a espresso class coffee plate and cup, and operating manual plus another 18 boxes (10 capsules each box) free gift (promotional item).
Now with the pounds lower than before, u sure can get a bargain....... :D

ah, this one I think: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-XN716040-Citiz-Nespresso-Aeroccino/dp/B0028QHMFK/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1274107703&sr=8-16

You got a v good price for it!

Why Krups? I thought magimix is a better brand, although their version looks identical  ::)