Author Topic: Thiel Speakers Owners' Thread  (Read 399597 times)

Offline Audio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Thiel Speakers Owners' Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 17:45 »
Unfortunately, Francis, we can only work within the space we are given........

I am excited that my wife took a fancy with Bedok Courts recently......  :)

(Audio)

Offline clitang

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 17:57 »
Can't help but notice that some of you are placing the speakers about a foot from the back wall or side walls, you are not doing any justice (no offence here) to these fine speakers at all , IMO, definitely not for critical listening........... :o

Hi Bro

Any idea how to improve my setup is the placement ok? Hope you can enlighten me. Thank you

I placed my CS2.4 about 2.5ft from the back and 1.2ft from the side wall. Please refer to pic.

I am using

CD player : Marantz SA14ver2
Pre : Integra DTC 9.8
Power amp : Plinius SA102
Interconnect : XLR Balance x 2pair, 1.5m. Audioquest Diamond from power to pre and pre to CD Player
Specker cable : Kimber Kable Monocle XL 6 ft.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 18:02 »
Can't help but notice that some of you are placing the speakers about a foot from the back wall or side walls, you are not doing any justice (no offence here) to these fine speakers at all , IMO, definitely not for critical listening........... :o

That was a concern as well which was why I asked for Sammy's help to push his own speakers against the back and side wall in his showroom to simulate the conditions at my place. Worse cos they were against the corners too :)

Did the sound quality worsen? Yes. IMHO just a little. Not as bad as I had expected. And ironically enough, less boomy than the B&W 601S2s in the same location.

Long term plan? Gotta move out of this country hehe. Wife already agreed to dedicated room.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 19:33 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 18:46 »

Francis you do realise that your hall size is HUGE! :o 
Seriously if my hall can be half the size of yours I dont have to worry about placement! ;D

Offline DIYer Straits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 6h30p Über Tube
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 18:49 »
Hi Bro

Any idea how to improve my setup is the placement ok? Hope you can enlighten me. Thank you

I placed my CS2.4 about 2.5ft from the back and 1.2ft from the side wall. Please refer to pic.

I am using

CD player : Marantz SA14ver2
Pre : Integra DTC 9.8
Power amp : Plinius SA102
Interconnect : XLR Balance x 2pair, 1.5m. Audioquest Diamond from power to pre and pre to CD Player
Specker cable : Kimber Kable Monocle XL 6 ft.

You could try removing the carpet (if it is a carpet) that you placed beneath the CS2.4s' plinth.
You can also try placing the 2.4s firing straight forward. Thiels are designed to fire forward.

Try putting the center speaker off the floor and on the rack if possible.

Hope this helps.

Oh, as I was writing this, someone you all know just bought himself a pair of CS2.4s.  ;D
Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Laptop via XMOS
Dual AK4495 DAC
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG/AT ART7
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage/DACT CT100 (modded)
Custom 6N6p Aikido Preamplifier
Modded TPA3118 Class D amplifier/ TPA 3255 power amplifier
Modded Thiel CS2.4/Modded ATC SCM-7/Some Satori in birch ply cabinets with a PR/KEF R300
To be updated

Offline bolts

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 18:55 »
My 2 pesos;

I second the opinion on pairing them with warmer electronics.

Thiel sound a bit lean.

They also sound better with robust amps. Higher power amps seems to suit them better.
Thiel CS 1.6 speakers. SVS SB12+ sub. Mac mini, Modded Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CDP. Lite-Audio DAC 60. Modded Hypex 180AD dual-mono amp. DH Labs Air Matrix IC, Anti-cables with WBT plugs. Acrolink P4030 PC. G & w power distributor.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 21:39 »
Oh, as I was writing this, someone you all know just bought himself a pair of CS2.4s.  ;D

Ssssshhhhhhh........  :)  straight from the B&W camp......

(Audio)

francis woo

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 23:01 »
Bros, if I may suggest, pls go the Thiels site and look at the FAQ section...excerpt

Q. How should I place my speakers for the best performance?

Most speakers sound best if they are placed well away from all walls. Such placement optimizes spatial imaging and depth, and musical timbres are reproduced with the least coloration. The reason for this is that such placement allows the initial sound coming from the speaker to be distinctly separated in time from the secondary sound of wall reflections. If reflections are heard too quickly after the primary sound (fig. 1) your brain tends to interpret them as part of the initial sound, causing the perceived timbre to be altered and the spatial characteristics to be confused

For HT, it's okay but for critical stereo listening, you will definitely lose out.  I realise that some have limited space to work with and therefore have to compromise but shoudn't you consider the importance of placement first before embarking on an expansive pair of Thiels....... ???
(I must say that these are esthetically beautiful floorstanders)

Anyway, if you are happy with them, why not.  To improve, suggest diffusers and sound absorbents to correct some of the limitations inherent in smaller listening area.

My two cents.....

Offline domho8

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 23:08 »
Bros, if I may suggest, pls go the Thiels site and look at the FAQ section...excerpt

Most speakers sound best if they are placed well away from all walls. Such placement optimizes spatial imaging and depth, and musical timbres are reproduced with the least coloration. The reason for this is that such placement allows the initial sound coming from the speaker to be distinctly separated in time from the secondary sound of wall reflections. If reflections are heard too quickly after the primary sound (fig. 1) your brain tends to interpret them as part of the initial sound, causing the perceived timbre to be altered and the spatial characteristics to be confused

For HT, it's okay but for critical stereo listening, you will definitely lose out.  I realise that some have limited space to work with and therefore have to compromise but shoudn't you consider the importance of placement first before embarking on an expansive pair of Thiels....... ???
(I must say that these are esthetically beautiful floorstanders)

Anyway, if you are happy with them, why not.  To improve, suggest diffusers and sound absorbents to correct some of the limitations inherent in smaller listening area.

My two cents.....

Francis hooting a Thiel, 2nd setup  ;D

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 23:48 »

IMHO in the context of our local forums, the other question (which may be more pertinent) is WHICH speakers would produce the sound signature that you desire in your own living room.

So while the Thiels may not be ideally sited in our rooms here, they are still producing the right quality of music that we bought them for in the first place.

In the same setting, another speaker may be "ideally placed" but it may still not produce the sonic quality that we desire ;)

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 00:14 »
Agree with DH. Also one major point to consider about room treatment.. if our rooms are already so cramp, it's a challenge to fit in diffusers and sound absorbers meaningfully.
I look behind my speakers that have less than a foot to the wall. :P Not sure how to solve my own problems.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 09:39 »
Before I purchased my Thiels, I was troubled with my room size and many people had advised me strongly not to purchase them.  But ultimately, if don't buy Thiels, then buy what???  Would placing B&Ws at these corners, give me a better sound?  I don't think so. If the Thiels' sonic performance degrades 30% if placed in these corners, then so be it as placing any other speakers in these corners will probably give the same effect.  Like some fellow owners had said, it's is the sound signature we are seeking.  This is how bad my room looks:-

Despite many attempts by Sammy and Sanjay to make me change my speaker cables, I finally did so and replaced my Monster Cables with what they recommended as bare minimum, the Alpha Cables. You see, when it comes to cables, I am a "Giam Kan Nan" (Sour Olive) because I believe no matter what you buy and at whatever price, you can never be sure what you are getting.

The results I got last night is simply beyond my expectations; yes, improved but not improve until like that mah!!!  The Thiels were elevated to new higher level of resolution and details, just like upgraded to 3.8 or changed some new power amps.  Every CDs I played, I have never hear them this good. Vocals are more solid then before, all the music instruments, especailly soft precussion ones, now jump out at you with details you never knew existed.  My neighbours must had hated me last night as I could not stop until 2am.

The silver looking cable is the Alpha and the white one is the Monster.  Thinner cables but better sound!

Kicking myself for waited this long to make the cable change......

(Audio)

francis woo

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 10:30 »
Glad you are enjoying the Thiels even more with this cable change.  Thought I saw a Kimber cable lying around..... :)

Have you got the Marigold Signature Gold for your CDP!

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 10:37 »
Glad you are enjoying the Thiels even more with this cable change.  Thought I saw a Kimber cable lying around..... :)

Have you got the Marigold Signature Gold for your CDP!

Yes, Kimber cable is for the  surrounds.  Sanjay seems to approve......

Errgh...almost frightened to ask....what's Marigold Signature Gold for your CDP?   I am using Denon Link now and I cannot imagine myself buying that US$499 Denon certified Denon Link cable when a STF CAT 6 priced at SGD$10 did the trick for me......

(Audio)

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 10:47 »

Kicking myself for waited this long to make the cable change......

(Audio)

haha. you said it yourself " i try not to tweak on all these small items ". end of the day> they DO make a difference. there is this one more cable change you really need to change. Not Senoko power lines. but change them as they go to your equipment.  :D

dun 1 shot change lah. do it in stages appreciate the change as it improves. isnt that the fun of it. ;D
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature, Center, Contour SR, DM3/7 IC17x4 Sub300x2 Sub600
Denon AVC-X8500H, Plinius CD-101, Tautoro, SA-103, Sony X800, PS4, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700.
ProJect Q.