Author Topic: Thiel Speakers Owners' Thread  (Read 399600 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Thiel Speakers Owners' Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 02:26 »
1. Audio - CS3.7 + MCS1 (surrounds) + MCS1 (centre) + SS2
2. jonlee CS2.4 + MCS1 (centre)
3. DoggieHowser CS2.4
4. Chewed CS1.6 + SCS4 (centre)
5. DIYer Straits - CS2.4
6. Hoseki - MCS1 (L, R, C) + CS1.2 + SS2
7. Clitang CS2.4 + SCS4 (Center) + CS2(sides)

updated

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 02:39 »
"slow and off pace".

I left the speakers running on a continuous playlist of songs where I encountered the slow and off pace boominess while I was at work, hoping to drive that boominess out of the system. During the day, I logged on remotely to the Squeezebox and slowly upped the volume a little. ;)

Got home around 7 and dialed down the volume so we could have some conversation but didn't notice any improvements. Just kept it running through dinner and watched some TV using it as front speakers.And when wife went for her Bollywood dance lessons, I let rip a couple of Daft Punk tracks hehe

Anyway, a couple of hours ago, I was about to power off the system and turn in for the night.

But as I sat in front of the speakers, in the middle of Buble's Lost, I SWEAR I WASN'T DREAMING THIS, suddenly the "off pace" boominess disappeared.

I think I'd hit just about 50 hours of use. The bass suddenly became more articulate and the lack of boominess suddenly made the details in the mids and highs even more apparent. I can't tell you guys what a relief this was. For a while I was really worried the speakers were too big for the room.

There's still the odd boominess in one or two songs. One was a David Tao track (which I know isn't the best in mastering) and the other one where I noticed it was Toni Braxton's Unbreak My Heart, which always had a heavy bass line anyway. But will continue to monitor

And so for the last couple of hours, I have been sitting transfixed in front of the speakers, marvelling at the new details of the same playlist that had been playing on repeat for the last couple of days, each time my brain was just kept awake trying to process all the new information on a familiar track.

I usually get like this when I upgrade parts of my headfi. But this is the first time I have encountered this without any upgrades :P just letting the speakers finally settle in..

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Charcoal

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 13:27 »
guys,

can put up your amp, source, speaker cable, listening area, and the (main) speakers placement too  ?

sharing your experiences how to optimize your Thiel speakers performance (e.g. positioning, pairing with equipments, cables etc) is even better

why ?

I still own the old CS2.3 and SCS2, but they seldom sing as firstly no time and especially since I shifted the whole audio system from the hall to a small study room.

Offline FookLai

• survivng with bare system
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 14:09 »
I used to own 2.4 and MCS1. IMHO, Thiel goes well with warmer equipment(usually tube), as thiel sound is usually too revealing, if pair it with another neutral sounding equipment then the sound will be a bit too bright. I pair it with VTL TL-2.5 (tube pre with HT bypass) and Bryston 4B-ST, the result was quite satisfying.

Fook Lai
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 14:11 by FookLai »

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 14:14 »
Was using the Sony TA-DA9000ES , then switch to Bel Canto Ref1000 as power amp.  Source for Audio is Denon DVD-3910 via Denon Link to Denon AVP-A1HDA.  Speaker cables is Monster Cables at the moment, will be changing to a pair of Alpha Cable soon.  Listening area is a typical HDB bedroom.  Speaker placement about 2 feet from corner, toe-in, aiming at listener.

Listening sofa is a red IKEA.  :)

(Audio)

Fook Lai, I am still eyeing your MCS1, sold already?

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 14:18 »
Based on Charcoal's Request...

3. DoggieHowser CS2.4

Placement: Living room which is unpartitioned fom the dining room.
Gear: Benchmark DAC1 Pre to Bel Canto REF1000 to CS2.4

CS2.4s slightly less than 8 feet apart, slight toe in angle towards listener, with about 1 foot away from the back wall.

Between the speakers sit the subwoofer and center speaker and my audio (non HT) gear. A fan sits between the left speaker and the subwoofer. The CS2.4s are slightly in front of the subwoofer/fan.

Left speaker is about 1 foot from side (full length windows but covered by black out curtains, which in hindsight is a good thing since it helps against side reflections.

Right speaker side is open area (opens to dining area).

My setup is quite revealing and I think Fook Lai wouldn't like it :) some would call it bright. But there is a lot of detail and clarity which never fails to impress me :) Once the gear is properly run in, I may try to look for something just slightly warmer but I am not sure if I want to go down the tube level of warmth.

5. DIYer Straits - CS2.4

8. Charcoal CS2.3 + SCS2
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline chewed

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 15:02 »
listening area is abt 3.5m by 3.5 m

CS1.6 slightly 8 ft apart, no toe-ing in.1 ft from backwall.  SCS4 placed in betw

For audio, CDP is Bel Canto CD-2, powered by Bel Canto S300. IC is Siltech SQ-28, speaker cable is Synergistic Research Vortex.
For Home Theatre, powered by Onkyo 805, ur usual BR & HD-DVD players involved, speaker cable is Chord Carnival plus.

I manually switch speaker cable to the CS1.6 when i'm listening to music or  home theatre.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 15:09 by chewed »

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 15:09 »
updated with Audio's setup that I missed earlier..

Was using the Sony TA-DA9000ES , then switch to Bel Canto Ref1000 as power amp.  Source for Audio is Denon DVD-3910 via Denon Link to Denon AVP-A1HDA.  Speaker cables is Monster Cables at the moment, will be changing to a pair of Alpha Cable soon.  Listening area is a typical HDB bedroom.  Speaker placement about 2 feet from corner, toe-in, aiming at listener.

Listening sofa is a red IKEA.

3. DoggieHowser CS2.4

Gear: Benchmark DAC1 Pre (balanced interconnect can't recall the brand) to Bel Canto REF1000 to CS2.4 with QED Revelation. AVR (Onkyo 875) is hooked up using AudioEngine's AW1 sender/receiver to Benchmark Pre's analog input.

CS2.4s slightly less than 8 feet apart, slight toe in angle towards listener, with about 1 foot away from the back wall.

Between the speakers sit the subwoofer and center speaker and my audio (non HT) gear. A fan sits between the left speaker and the subwoofer. The CS2.4s are slightly in front of the subwoofer/fan.

Left speaker is about 1 foot from side (full length windows but covered by black out curtains, which in hindsight is a good thing since it helps against side reflections.

My setup is quite revealing and I think Fook Lai wouldn't like it  some would call it bright. But there is a lot of detail and clarity which never fails to impress me  Once the gear is properly run in, I may try to look for something just slightly warmer but I am not sure if I want to go down the tube level of warmth.

CS1.6 slightly 8 ft apart, no toe-ing in.1 ft from backwall.  SCS4 placed in betw

For audio, CDP is Bel Canto CD-2, powered by Bel Canto S300. IC is Siltech SQ-28, speaker cable is Synergistic Research Vortex.
For Home Theatre, powered by Onkyo 805, ur usual BR & HD-DVD players involved, speaker cable is Chord Carnival.

I manually switch speaker cable to the CS1.6 when i'm listening to music or  home theatre.

5. DIYer Straits - CS2.4

8. Charcoal CS2.3 + SCS2

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 15:13 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 15:18 »

Why would you need one more MCS1? :)

For rear?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline yihyan

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 15:19 »
doggie, i think you also should update the first post :D
it will be much easier for us to follow....

Online DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 15:50 »
Why would you need one more MCS1? :)

For rear?

yeah hor Why ah? i also curious? 7.1??? :o
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature, Center, Contour SR, DM3/7 IC17x4 Sub300x2 Sub600
Denon AVC-X8500H, Plinius CD-101, Tautoro, SA-103, Sony X800, PS4, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700.
ProJect Q.

Offline FookLai

• survivng with bare system
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 16:36 »

Sold already long time back :)

Fook Lai

Offline DIYer Straits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 6h30p Über Tube
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 17:09 »

Was using the Sony TA-DA9000ES , then switch to Bel Canto Ref1000 as power amp.  Source for Audio is Denon DVD-3910 via Denon Link to Denon AVP-A1HDA.  Speaker cables is Monster Cables at the moment, will be changing to a pair of Alpha Cable soon.  Listening area is a typical HDB bedroom.  Speaker placement about 2 feet from corner, toe-in, aiming at listener.

Listening sofa is a red IKEA.

3. DoggieHowser CS2.4

Gear: Benchmark DAC1 Pre (balanced interconnect can't recall the brand) to Bel Canto REF1000 to CS2.4 with QED Revelation. AVR (Onkyo 875) is hooked up using AudioEngine's AW1 sender/receiver to Benchmark Pre's analog input.

My setup is quite revealing and I think Fook Lai wouldn't like it  some would call it bright. But there is a lot of detail and clarity which never fails to impress me  Once the gear is properly run in, I may try to look for something just slightly warmer but I am not sure if I want to go down the tube level of warmth.

For Home Theatre, powered by Onkyo 805, ur usual BR & HD-DVD players involved, speaker cable is Chord Carnival.

5. DIYer Straits - CS2.4
Mine still wrapped up as am concentrating on new addition to the family.
Planned to drive them with either a customised 7W 2A3 push pull tube amp, a customised 200W Tripath TA3020 Class T amp and other DIY/customised pre/power amps in between. Problem.
Source: various customised CD players/DACs/Phono/TT. Cables: various silver concoctions.
Room: Yet to be configured 4.5 x 3.5m room.
Why CS2.4s? Because any changes that I make in the signal path, from equipment to caps and internal wiring, I will hear it.

8. Charcoal CS2.3 + SCS2

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 17:12 by DIYer Straits »
Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Laptop via XMOS
Dual AK4495 DAC
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG/AT ART7
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage/DACT CT100 (modded)
Custom 6N6p Aikido Preamplifier
Modded TPA3118 Class D amplifier/ TPA 3255 power amplifier
Modded Thiel CS2.4/Modded ATC SCM-7/Some Satori in birch ply cabinets with a PR/KEF R300
To be updated

Offline jonlee

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 17:10 »
jonlee CS2.4 + MCS1 (centre)

Simple setup.  For audio, Plinius CD-101 with Plinius 9200 integrated amp, both with Acrolink 4030 power cords.  Mogami 2803 interconnects and mogami 2804 speaker cables. 

francis woo

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 17:23 »
Can't help but notice that some of you are placing the speakers about a foot from the back wall or side walls, you are not doing any justice (no offence here) to these fine speakers at all , IMO, definitely not for critical listening........... :o