Author Topic: Remember, speakers good for stereo will be good for HT, but not the other way  (Read 10623 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Depending on the hall, I find some Cathay cinemas even the Orchard ones to run slightly hotter bass. And a couple of times, I find there were hums like the gear wasn't grounded properly. Or there were slight focus issues. Even black levels weren't completely black :)

A great cinema I used to go to was Empire at Leicester Square. I believe it was one of the first THX certified cinemas and I remember watching a movie once where the sound of a sniper bullet whizzed PAST my right ear and hit the target on the screen. Such was the accuracy and control.

ps which audiophile speakers can't do loud bass? or is too bright? Is that really audiophile? A good hifi speaker has to have dynamics and a great frequency range. Not just to human hearing limits but also to tactile/sensory levels.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline zenit

ps which audiophile speakers can't do loud bass? or is too bright? Is that really audiophile? A good hifi speaker has to have dynamics and a great frequency range. Not just to human hearing limits but also to tactile/sensory levels.

:) You're right, to my hearing limits and my limited knowledge of audiophile speakers......
SF and B&W can't do loud bass and is too bright and are way way overprice......
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 12:22 by zenit »
The world is full of Kings and Queens / Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams /
And they'll tell you black is really white / The moon is just the sun at night /
And when you walk in golden halls / You get to keep the gold that falls /

Offline Doggie Howser

I have heard some pretty good speakers and they have great bass extension and great clarity :)

My midrange speakers can go as low as 20+Hz with good linearity which is only slightly worse than my 12" SVS sub.

Unfortunately, the really really good ones need listening rooms the size of most of our combined living and dining room (if not larger) to really shine. Or need a lot of room treatment

B&W pricing has always been a source of contention, especially in this region ;) but I thot they sounded quite well in my old HT setup. Have not heard SF tho

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 13:36 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Hitokiri_Battousai

• Hifi Aficionado
"SF and B&W can't do loud bass and is too bright and are way way overprice......"

You might want to qualify which SF and B&W speakers...I've never heard one that sounded too bright, or can't do loud bass.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 13:24 by Hitokiri_Battousai »

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
i concur to that statement. my ole B&W 601 S3 really do loud bass when i use Belden studio 814 spk cables. i would say controlled and deep bass.
ProJect Q.

Offline Bongteo

• Trade Count: (+1)
Maybe we odd to leave the brands out of this topic??

Actually the whole topic goes back to the very basic, which i think "Quest" wrote (not sure if its you  :P), if you like the sound of the speakers playing music, you will find it to your liking in HT or vise versus.

Who can say that a movie theater are really producing the actual sound of a effect in real life? It's still thru measurement and the engineer who setup the system think it's correct. I also think movie theather are mix in more then 7.1 setup?? correct me if i'm wrong.

Oh btw just for some opinion, movie theater does play music before the advertisment show up, who actually like the sq of a movie theater playing music? For me, no.  ;)
HT setup : Epson TW6100 / Emotiva XMC-1 / Simaudio 700i / Emotiva XPA-5 G2 / Oppo BDT-101CI / PSB Synchrony 1 with Crystal cable Standard ic & sc / PSB Synchrony 1c with Nordost Frey ic & Crystal cable Piccolo sc / PSB image B15 with Nordost Red Dawn xlr & Kimber 4tc sc / Rythmik F12 with Nordost Frey ic / Sine SA-6 ME Distributor & Iego & Sine pc / Guizhu Rack

Stereo Setup : MBL 1511E / Cystal Cable Reference IC >> Simaudio 700i

Head-Fi : Hifiman 400i / Chord Mojo

Offline zenit

You might want to qualify which SF and B&W speakers...I've never heard one that sounded too bright, and can't do loud bass.

That's just me, the owner also never found them bright at all, and they classified my taste for bass as "ah meng"......
What can I say ???

To each his own  :)

For my limited experience I've heard 2 SF set up, 3 B&W set up and 2 different JM Lab set up and one even got a Sunfire sub.

The owner will play some CDs when I'm there, I got to say they all sound nice to me.
BUT when the HT demo start, it's like "OMG, how long must I bare with these ??"
Finally when it all ends and they ask for your comments, I become the culprit to tell them they had the PERFECT system.
I mean, who am I ?? Any of the bookshelf or floorstander can buy my set up and still got change left.

:-X they are all the top model or ex top model, rich men toy  :-X
The world is full of Kings and Queens / Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams /
And they'll tell you black is really white / The moon is just the sun at night /

Offline Hitokiri_Battousai

• Hifi Aficionado
That's just me, the owner also never found them bright at all, and they classified my taste for bass as "ah meng"......
What can I say ???

To each his own  :)

For my limited experience I've heard 2 SF set up, 3 B&W set up and 2 different JM Lab set up and one even got a Sunfire sub.

The owner will play some CDs when I'm there, I got to say they all sound nice to me.
BUT when the HT demo start, it's like "OMG, how long must I bare with these ??"
Finally when it all ends and they ask for your comments, I become the culprit to tell them they had the PERFECT system.
I mean, who am I ?? Any of the bookshelf or floorstander can buy my set up and still got change left.

:-X they are all the top model or ex top model, rich men toy  :-X

Precisely because everyone's tastes are varied and that different people have different budgets for their toys, you might not want to pass a statement like "SF and B&W can't do loud bass and is too bright and are way way overprice......". That is bound to ruffle up some feathers with some owners.

My two cents.

Offline zenit

Precisely because everyone's tastes are varied and that different people have different budgets for their toys, you might not want to pass a statement like "SF and B&W can't do loud bass and is too bright and are way way overprice......". That is bound to ruffle up some feathers with some owners.

My two cents.

:) I mean what I say !! "SF and B&W can't do loud bass and is too bright and are way way overprice......"

My two cents.

and again !! "SF and B&W can't do the CHOW AH MENG loud bass and is EAR PIERCING bright and are for RICH MEN......"

:) No worries man!!  :)
 :) all the rich men will simply treat this as another brainless talk by another "Chow Ah Meng" that hide behind the keyboard  :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 21:34 by zenit »