Author Topic: Is SPDIF connectors same as Toslink Optical  (Read 7943 times)

Offline FD1A

Is SPDIF connectors same as Toslink Optical
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:11 »
Happy Niu Year Everyone :) One question on my PC that is connected with my Marantz 5003. PC with HDMI(but does not carry audio, therefore no audio but the mini audio jack / SPDIF in order to have audio. I am connecting these mini audio jack to my 7.1 section but not ideal. i.e. only 1 pair of speakers either SSL/R or SBL/R can be heard and so far the input selection has cause me headaches because there is only either video or audio (7.1 when selected).
I am thinking of using the SPDIF to connect to the 5003 or changing the Graphic card to one that have HDMI with Audio.
Please advice if the sound quality on the audio configuration would be better if using SPDIF or HDMI Gfx Card w/audio. Am I totally wrong about the 7.1 section of my 5003, if that designed only for SACD input when playing SACD only?
Is SPDIF connectors same as Toslink Optical ?and if I just use the HDMI HD AUDIO?

Offline Zerox Millienium

Re: Is SPDIF connectors same as Toslink Optical
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 14:50 »
Hi confused one,

S/PDIF is an digital audio transport format from source to destination, inventors are Sony and Phillips. This digital audio format can be transported using two kinds of medium, typical 75 ohm coaxial cable, which carries the same analogue audio/video signals as component or composite video and stereo audio channels or transmitted by light through an optical cable which usually uses TOSLINK connectors at both ends, whichever is supported by your source and destination. They are different cables with different connectors.

I don't know much about SACD, I thought SACD is probably just high sampling rate but doesn't offer multi-channel audio? I could be wrong on this, do a google look on SACD. I usually associate 7.1 audio channels with movies, where multi-channel audio is commonly used.

It's fine to use DVI to HDMI converter from your graphics card for the video only source, and using digital audio (either optical or coaxial) from your soundcard to your A/V receiver or amplifier. Looks cumbersome but it works just fine.

Regards.

Edit

Looks like it does support multi-channel audio, but up to 5.1 channels with compression.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 14:57 by Zerox Millienium »
萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!

Offline FD1A

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 15:03 »
Thanks Zerox Millienium for the help, but is it altogether using a full HDMI card be better and still be able to acheive the 7.1 channel without too much messy cables to go with and yet audio quality the same?

Offline Zerox Millienium

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 15:16 »
Thanks Zerox Millienium for the help, but is it altogether using a full HDMI card be better and still be able to acheive the 7.1 channel without too much messy cables to go with and yet audio quality the same?

Well in a way a full HDMI card can be better, while it minimized the use of additional cables and through the digital audio from the HDMI, it probably be able to transport 7.1 audio channels such as Dolby Tru-HD or dts Master Audio or equivalents, since HDMI audio is designed to carry such standards. Whereas the audio formats carried by S/PDIF is limited to 5.1 audio channels.

You really want to be looking at how often you encounter 7.1 audio sources, from blu-ray movies? Or you'll be using 5.1 audio channels probably upsampled and re-encoded to 7.1 audio channels?

The quality of the audio really depends on the quality of source and the decoding devices. And ultimately, your ears be the judge.

Regards.
萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!

Offline FD1A

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 15:22 »
Thanks again.:)

Offline FD1A

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:56 »
Just an after thought. Is there any audio cable with 1 end SPDIF and TOSLINK on ther other ?

Offline Zerox Millienium

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 10:11 »
Not possible, as they are two very different types of medium.

One carries light (TOSLINK cable), the other carries electrical signal (coaxial s/pdif cable)

If you really need to set up like that, you have to buy a converter to convert either way, meaning s/pdif coaxial to toslink converter, or toslink to s/pdif converter.

For instance like this, http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B000I98ZQY

Regards.
萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!

Offline FD1A

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:24 »
Okay, thanks again. My HDMI output from my PC with ATI 2400 pro doesn't seem to carry any sound to the Marantz 5003 but it does when I connect directly to my TV.

Offline Zerox Millienium

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 11:05 »
Okay, thanks again. My HDMI output from my PC with ATI 2400 pro doesn't seem to carry any sound to the Marantz 5003 but it does when I connect directly to my TV.

If sound does come out from the TV as you mentioned from the HDMI connection to the TV, then I guess it must be your Marantz not set up properly to decode HDMI audio? I'm not familiar with the Marantz 5300, if it's an AVR, then you might want to check your set up in terms of input sources (audio and video) for instance. I doubt your AVR is less capable then your TV, so try playing around with the configuration of your AVR to get the sound out.

If not the other possibility is, which I think is unlikely, is that your Marantz is not capable of handling certain audio formats.

Regards.
萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!萌え!