Author Topic: Dynaudio Speaker Thread  (Read 1488327 times)

Offline douce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dynaudio Speaker Thread
« Reply #855 on: February 28, 2010, 13:01 »
Hi i am new to this forum and i need some advice. I am looking for a pair bookshelf recently. A close friend want to let go his 805S with stand to me at a good price but before i commit , i was wondering how it compared with Dynaudio 110, S1.4(most likely out of budget). Anyone here have compared them already?

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #856 on: February 28, 2010, 13:51 »
This is something that always bug me on upgrading. Once u upgrade something better u will find the rest not up to par n will eventually need to upgrade the rest and it will or might become a never ending story.  :-\

Better to stop at the point when everything is in eynergy n try to enjoy it for as long as I can.  ;D

I dont want to pay money n buy headache.  :)
reminds me of this audio chart that shows...

upgrade amp -> upgrade speaker -> upgrade cdp -> tweak -> repeat  ;D

Offline sty

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #857 on: February 28, 2010, 15:06 »
reminds me of this audio chart that shows...

upgrade amp -> upgrade speaker -> upgrade cdp -> tweak -> repeat  ;D

upgrade amp -> upgrade speaker -> upgrade cdp -> tweak -> repeat 

Yeah man. Not happy after tweaking please repeat the above process all over again.  :D

Offline clitang

« Reply #858 on: February 28, 2010, 15:09 »
This is something that always bug me on upgrading. Once u upgrade something better u will find the rest not up to par n will eventually need to upgrade the rest and it will or might become a never ending story.  :-\

Better to stop at the point when everything is in eynergy n try to enjoy it for as long as I can.  ;D

I dont want to pay money n buy headache.  :)

Yes, I agreed. I guess this is part of the hobby. If you are in this, then this is part of the process. I do enjoy the process of upgarding, shopping around what to get. I seldom hear any HiFi fans can stick to their equipment for a long time.

Offline clitang

« Reply #859 on: February 28, 2010, 15:11 »
y not consider making your living room into your listening area since it's much bigger and big floor standers should operate more efficient?   

Not in my plan. I have 2 kids and I have a projector/HT setup. So put all my gear in the living hall is not a good idea.

Offline clitang

« Reply #860 on: February 28, 2010, 15:39 »
now u need to upgrade to a bigger house to put your sapphire.

Yes, I hope I have a fully sound treated room with size 4m x 6m. in the basement of my landed house. ;D ;D ;D

However, base on the high price of the property in Singapore, as mentioned in the other "Property" tread, S$1M is nothing, it can't even buy a 120m-sq apartment in AMK or Toa Payoh. :'(

Online Doggie Howser

« Reply #861 on: February 28, 2010, 19:57 »
XI kinda understand this wash rinse repeat process. The tweaks I made recently made the sound really really sweet and even Redbook sounds pretty damn good. But the asymmetrical layout is now more obvious with a bit more prominence in the the bass on the left side. Solution: new room? Or new room in new house? ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 20:57 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #862 on: February 28, 2010, 20:53 »
Hi i am new to this forum and i need some advice. I am looking for a pair bookshelf recently. A close friend want to let go his 805S with stand to me at a good price but before i commit , i was wondering how it compared with Dynaudio 110, S1.4(most likely out of budget). Anyone here have compared them already?

hi, being user if both types plus having heard 805s & 110. It is really best you audition both them you decide which you should go for. Pairing of equipment is very, I repeat very important. Esle you will not hear what you heard.
ProJect Q.

Offline sty

« Reply #863 on: March 01, 2010, 00:05 »
Yes, I agreed. I guess this is part of the hobby. If you are in this, then this is part of the process. I do enjoy the process of upgarding, shopping around what to get. I seldom hear any HiFi fans can stick to their equipment for a long time.

Yup! Especially when one can afford to spend and have the free time to shop n listen. Anyway, its true that seldom HiFi fans can stick to their equipment for long that is why in my statement I say to enjoy mine as long as I can. But that is just me lah.

Anyway, while typing this, I am already thinking of changing my CD player but it is the budget type lah.  ;D

Enjoy the hobby and upgrading man!  :)

stwessed

« Reply #864 on: March 01, 2010, 01:20 »
This is something that always bug me on upgrading. Once u upgrade something better u will find the rest not up to par n will eventually need to upgrade the rest and it will or might become a never ending story.  :-\

Better to stop at the point when everything is in eynergy n try to enjoy it for as long as I can.  ;D

I dont want to pay money n buy headache.  :)

find this to be very true. even though my system is considered cheap to you guys here!!

it's really paying money to get more headache. and soon, if things don't turn out well, it becomes heartache.

do you guys feel that sometimes it's much more relaxing listening to music in the car when you're driving or just some songs (songs which you don't have in your CD collection) from youtube via your $100 desktop speakers?

for me, i guess it's because i got too frustrated trying to solve one problem after another in my system. till i find more enjoyment in the abovementioned.

i guess one good solution will be to just buy exactly the same system you like at a particular shop. and stop going to forums. just enjoy what you have. but of course, in order to buy the exact same system @ the shop, usually means...having to spend quite a huge sum.

do you guys often find that you're spending too much on audio? especially if you go for 1st hand items..

IMO, there're so much more other things in life to spend on. that's why sometimes it's really beneficial to be contented. but of course, there should be a minimum standard to meet before you should be contented.

sorry for the OT!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:25 by stwessed »

Offline fengshenwee

« Reply #865 on: March 01, 2010, 02:07 »
find this to be very true. even though my system is considered cheap to you guys here!!

it's really paying money to get more headache. and soon, if things don't turn out well, it becomes heartache.

do you guys feel that sometimes it's much more relaxing listening to music in the car when you're driving or just some songs (songs which you don't have in your CD collection) from youtube via your $100 desktop speakers?

for me, i guess it's because i got too frustrated trying to solve one problem after another in my system. till i find more enjoyment in the abovementioned.

i guess one good solution will be to just buy exactly the same system you like at a particular shop. and stop going to forums. just enjoy what you have. but of course, in order to buy the exact same system @ the shop, usually means...having to spend quite a huge sum.

do you guys often find that you're spending too much on audio? especially if you go for 1st hand items..

IMO, there're so much more other things in life to spend on. that's why sometimes it's really beneficial to be contented. but of course, there should be a minimum standard to meet before you should be contented.

sorry for the OT!

There is really no right or wrong. If listening on your $100 desktop and youtube makes u happy. Good for u. Enjoy them

For some, making mistakes, solving them and continuous upgrade is fun and they feel it is a great way to spend our money. Is not really work if u enjoy it. They fully feel it is justified just like the ladies who like to spend thousands on branded bags and shoes.

Personally, I have a friend who dun care about audio or the crappy 15inch LCD screen he is looking at for the pass 7-8 years. Can u say he is wrong?

As long one is happy, I dun see any wrong in it as long he or she doing things within his/her means. I feel my audio system kick ass and I dun see me ever going back to simple PC speakers. Long live audiophiles!!! lol

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:12 by fengshenwee »
AR-T Legato II USB-SPDIF / Audio-GD Reference 8 DAC / W4S STI-500
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Black Piano Lacquer
Lifatec SILFLEX GLASS CABLES with OPTISILK JACKETING / Acoustic Revive USB-1.0SP / Black Cat Silverstar 75 BNC / Black Sand Cable Statement One + Silver Reference MKV / LessLoss DFPC Signature / Nordost Heimdall XLR / AudioArt Cable SC-5 SE
SOtM tX-USB / TAOC PTS-A Spike Plate / Oyaide MTB-6 Power Distributor / Telos Gold RCA Caps / Maestro Power Outlet / DA&T AC Filter x3

stwessed

« Reply #866 on: March 01, 2010, 02:18 »
i meant to say.. once in a while.. it's relaxing to listen to desktop speakers bc u don't have to be bothered by the performance. this feeling comes on only if your system is not to your 100% liking.

there is some fun in experimenting.. but the problem is do you have all the money in the world to experiment? it's costly. i feel the pinch. many others may like the pinch or have deeper wallets..

of course, after having my system, i know what a proper audio system can do. it's definitely hard to abandon the whole audio system and just drop back to desktop speakers.

a proper audio system will definitely sound better than desktop. but one that is not nicely matched may bring along some irritants. e.g. bright/harsh sound. this can be irritating.

and that's when on some days, you find it's more relaxing to not have to care about the problems of your hifi and have a causal listen from your car/desktop speakers or even while taking a walk at HMV/other music stores.

these places/sources may not have the perfect sound. but they do not have any thing which is particularly irritating. it's just very casual listening.

cheers... ;D

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #867 on: March 01, 2010, 07:48 »
this may not work out just cos of different room which is the largest determinant of how it would all eventually sound, not to mention power supply, placement, and other miscellaneous items such as the rack. even then, when you buy the same model of equipment/speaker, it may also sound different than the demo cos its a different piece..

know what u are saying though. :) i also made similar comment about simple systems awhile back cos was just getting frustrated trying to get the right sound. but unfortunately this is the price to pay for going for 'so-called' hi-end. once you reach the end though, you will probably be satisfied for quite some time to come. took me almost 1 yr to get a sound that i feel sounds decent now.

as for experimenting, try to depend on home trial and visiting or borrowing from other forumers instead of buy/selling if possible.

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #868 on: March 01, 2010, 08:42 »
There is really no right or wrong. If listening on your $100 desktop and youtube makes u happy. Good for u. Enjoy them

For some, making mistakes, solving them and continuous upgrade is fun and they feel it is a great way to spend our money. Is not really work if u enjoy it. They fully feel it is justified just like the ladies who like to spend thousands on branded bags and shoes.

Personally, I have a friend who dun care about audio or the crappy 15inch LCD screen he is looking at for the pass 7-8 years. Can u say he is wrong?

As long one is happy, I dun see any wrong in it as long he or she doing things within his/her means. I feel my audio system kick ass and I dun see me ever going back to simple PC speakers. Long live audiophiles!!! lol

although your friend is not wrong, but i feel you have a part to let him hear/see the difference by getting slightly better speaker/equipment. whether he/she decides is worth it anot is another question. not really 1 shot spend over a few $k but getting something more decent than a $100 desktop speaker.  :)
ProJect Q.

Offline arcustic

« Reply #869 on: March 01, 2010, 11:34 »
IMHO, non-audiophiles and audiophiles have very different listening preferences.  One is that most non-audiophiles listen to music in the background. They don't concentrate on music.  Therefore as long as there is sound, they are ok with it.  No soundstage, no depth, no scale, no imaging, they are still fine. Audiophiles on the other hand, sit down and listen, and we want everything....to the extent that we even what to hear when the singer swallows his/her saliva.

Take the analogy of a car.  Some would only require a car that can take them from point A to point B. Others would like their car to look good, powerful, comfortable, luxurious, etc.

Therefore, I have never try to influence anyone around me about hi-fi unless there is a interest in them.

Life is simple.....Don't make it complicated.