Author Topic: Dynaudio Speaker Thread  (Read 1487470 times)

Offline arcustic

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dynaudio Speaker Thread
« Reply #735 on: February 12, 2010, 00:44 »
hi all,
Can there be some discussions on the speaker placement. For instance, are your speakers having a slight toe-in or firing straight ahead? Which yield the best results? How far away is the rear wall to speaker front? Distance between the speakers and your seat? Cheers

As I'm using the X12 in the hall, I did toe it in by a little bit.  Tried firing straight ahead but I can't get the imaging and like what Bro Stealth said, the soundstage is lost.  The in between distance is about 190cm and its 23cm away from the wall.  I have the speakers tilted slightly higher on the front and found the presentation palpable, highs extended and more air.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 00:46 by arcustic »
Life is simple.....Don't make it complicated.

Offline sjtan

• Snr Member
« Reply #736 on: February 12, 2010, 09:44 »
Congrat Bro. Please upload picture for your new speaker. ;D
Not yet leh... After CNY.
jUsT LiStEn

Offline viper1912

• Snr Member
« Reply #737 on: February 12, 2010, 09:55 »
Not yet leh... After CNY.

Betul ke bang.....already firing in yr hall liao si bo .....just that after CNY then post d picture.....

buey pai hor..........focus for rear speaker...................................si beh hor liao

Offline dynaudio

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Consequence Ultimate
« Reply #738 on: February 12, 2010, 10:38 »
Congrat Bro. Please upload picture for your new speaker. ;D

New speaker got no stock :( so got to patiently wait. Lun..Lun..Lun ;D

marduk

« Reply #739 on: February 12, 2010, 10:39 »
I didn't toe-in my Focus 110 that much just a little only on my HT setup coz I find I loose out soundstage if I toe in. Whereas my C1 in the room I did toe in coz i gives my more focus. All these depend on your room envoirnment & acoustics and design of the speakers. Normally, dyns bookshelf sound best when place around 6-8ft apart and about 40-70cm away from the back wall to the speaker back. Off coz, all these depend on the size of the bookshelf, some can be placed slightly closer to the wall to give you more synergy.

At the end, it still a personnel preference on your placing. There's no right or wrong in toeing in or firing straight.
I have a slight toe-in on my dyn 52SE and they are about 35" from the rear wall. The speakers are boomy when playing Jack Johnson "Curious George" the 3R's track. Directly behind the speakers are sonex pyramid foam (4'x4'). The speakers are 1.8m apart, well away from the side walls and I am sitting 2m from the speakers measured diagonally. the room is furnished with carpet and shelves. Directly behind my seat are 2 pcs of sonex classic foam. My room size is 4.5mx2.9m. The speakers are placed on the length of the room. How do I minimise the boomy bass? The reflex ports are plugged with the supplied bungs. thanks.

Offline stealth

• "Hear, see and pay with Confidence"
« Reply #740 on: February 12, 2010, 10:52 »
I have a slight toe-in on my dyn 52SE and they are about 35" from the rear wall. The speakers are boomy when playing Jack Johnson "Curious George" the 3R's track. Directly behind the speakers are sonex pyramid foam (4'x4'). The speakers are 1.8m apart, well away from the side walls and I am sitting 2m from the speakers measured diagonally. the room is furnished with carpet and shelves. Directly behind my seat are 2 pcs of sonex classic foam. My room size is 4.5mx2.9m. The speakers are placed on the length of the room. How do I minimise the boomy bass? The reflex ports are plugged with the supplied bungs. thanks.

Wow..your room is so much bigger compare to mine..there's some heavy bass track from some cds we often encountered this bass boom or standing waves that couldn't be absorb by normal sonex. We need a wideband bass trap to trap the 40-50Hz freq that most of the us are facing. I didn't use the bungs at all coz I find the bass will be totally cut-off and sound funny. I had 1 echobuster corner bass trap at 1 end of the wall, it really help to reduce the bass resonace. Too bad echobuster had closed down :(

By the way, what amplifier are you driving the 52SE with?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 10:55 by stealth »
hifi.com.sg 1 Coleman Street #01-23, 03-35 The Adelphi, Singapore 179803
Tel: 6336 1450, 6334 7639
https://hifi.com.sg

marduk

« Reply #741 on: February 12, 2010, 11:18 »
Wow..your room is so much bigger compare to mine..there's some heavy bass track from some cds we often encountered this bass boom or standing waves that couldn't be absorb by normal sonex. We need a wideband bass trap to trap the 40-50Hz freq that most of the us are facing. I didn't use the bungs at all coz I find the bass will be totally cut-off and sound funny. I had 1 echobuster corner bass trap at 1 end of the wall, it really help to reduce the bass resonace. Too bad echobuster had closed down :(

By the way, what amplifier are you driving the 52SE with?

I am using ayre k5xe/primare a31.2 or primare a30.1/31.2. Where can I get bass trap and how much will it cost? Will it be a good position if I place one bass trap (half circle type) at the middle in-between the speakers? By adding a dyn subwoofer helps? Thanks...

Offline stealth

« Reply #742 on: February 12, 2010, 11:30 »
I am using ayre k5xe/primare a31.2 or primare a30.1/31.2. Where can I get bass trap and how much will it cost? Will it be a good position if I place one bass trap (half circle type) at the middle in-between the speakers? By adding a dyn subwoofer helps? Thanks...

Your amplification looks good so I don't suspect there's any issue with that. Mostly, it's the 2 corner in the room the creating the bass boom, you can use some bolster or mattress to cover the corner is see whether it's the corner thats creating the boom. Placing the semi half bass trap in the middle will help also. You need to do lots of trail & errors to solve the bass boom. If can't then you need to seek Doctor Joamonte help liao.

Offline arcustic

« Reply #743 on: February 12, 2010, 13:44 »
Wishing all bros celebrating Chinese New Year a very Prosperous New Year.  May the year of the Tiger brings Happiness, Wealth and Health to you and your love ones. I think especially wealth for us to buy more Dynaudio and HiFi stuff  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 13:45 by arcustic »
Life is simple.....Don't make it complicated.

Offline dynaudio

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Consequence Ultimate
« Reply #744 on: February 12, 2010, 14:05 »
Dynaudio Singapore wishes every Dyn's owner A Happy Prosperous New Year!

Thanks for everyones support on the product and discussions.

We'll be closed from 13th - 16th Feb 2010

We'll resume business on 17th Feb 2010.

Best wishes,
Nick

Offline sjtan

• Snr Member
« Reply #745 on: February 16, 2010, 08:30 »
Dynaudio Singapore wishes every Dyn's owner A Happy Prosperous New Year!

Thanks for everyones support on the product and discussions.

We'll be closed from 13th - 16th Feb 2010

We'll resume business on 17th Feb 2010.

Best wishes,
Nick
This thread has been quiet for the past few days!  ;D Looks like all bros really enjoying the CNY celebrations!!
jUsT LiStEn

Offline stealth

« Reply #746 on: February 16, 2010, 08:44 »
Ya..guess everyone is blasting their system at home with such a long weekend ;D

Offline viper1912

• Snr Member
« Reply #747 on: February 16, 2010, 10:41 »
To all the Dyn lover......Everybody Huat ahhhh!!!!!

everyone is having a long weekend away from SG.....thus no body is replying the thread.

Their Dyn is having a rest as well.....1 whole year blass blass....now is the time to rest....tomorrow...i guess they will be back for more blasting...... ;D :D

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #748 on: February 17, 2010, 11:54 »
The latest issue of Stereophile is out :)

There's a glowing review of the baby of the Dyn range: the Excite X12

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Kakarotttan

• Snr Member
« Reply #749 on: February 18, 2010, 10:48 »
I find it fascinating how you guys express the sentence using words such as liao, leh, is this Cantonese, or more like a slang in Singapore?? I'm not a resident, I just happen to join the group by insanely searching Dynaudio reviews and forums online~~ :P

I'm curious if anyone has a pair of Dynaudio in high gloss lacquer finish?? Does it change the sound slightly?? Thanks