Author Topic: Dynaudio Speaker Thread  (Read 1488295 times)

Offline rahul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gooner
Re: Dynaudio Speaker Thread
« Reply #495 on: January 26, 2010, 12:15 »
I notice the dynaudio house sound is slightly bright, therefore equipment selection will need to steer away from lean sounding electronics...

I wouldnt agree with that. Dynaudio itself wouldn't be bright....unless your source or amplification is.
Infact thats one of the big things that I like about Dynaudio sound.
CDP: NAD C540    Plasma: Pioneer 427 AVR: Marantz SR5600     DVD: Oppo 981
Power Amp: Rotel 1075         Blu-Ray: Playstation 3  TubeAmp: Cayin MT12
Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6/LCR/B1   Sub: SVS SB12+ , REL Strata II
-----------------------------------------------
Study HiFi setup
- Lavry DA11, Densen DM30, Audiolab 8000P, Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII, Kimber 8TC

Offline fff

« Reply #496 on: January 26, 2010, 13:31 »
Clitang, be careful in selecting your source which i assume you haven't buy yet. After years of hifi i realized the key component of hifi is the CDP and Speaker. This are the 2 component that voice the overall sound, not much for amp IMHO. Thus do set yourself a good budget for your CDP, your amps/speaker are good. For IC i felt it is more for fine tuning.

Spot On !
I felt very much the same.

Offline shsoh

• .:..:..:..:..:..:.
« Reply #497 on: January 26, 2010, 18:33 »
Thank you.

Before I purchase the Siltech cable. I have audited the Kimber select and Transparent Ultra speaker. Siltech is more suitable for C1 and Plinius. It is fast, accurate and transparent.

My option is open. Still seeking for the right amp/pre to blend into my current system. I notice that are some bro are using Ayre with Dynaudio speaker.

I find that the Ayre amplifiers has a slightly dry and forward character. However, their KXR preamp on the contrary is neutral, balanced and sweet (wish I could afford!  :(). I am using an Ayre player and after the MP upgrade, the sound is much sweeter. Not sure about their amps though. Krell on the other hand, will be having a wide soundstage, revealing and digs lots of detail. Depending on individual taste, you will either love or hate it...IMHO, I notice the dynaudio house sound is slightly bright, therefore equipment selection will need to steer away from lean sounding electronics...

I have to disagree with you on your Ayre observation and esepcially since you are already using a Ayre CDP. Which model is that? On what setup did you audition the Ayre amps with?

Offline clitang

« Reply #498 on: January 26, 2010, 18:52 »
Spot On !
I felt very much the same.

Yes, The source is very importrant. I have put my hands on the Wadia 581se. I have audited Esoteric SA-50, Marantz SA11S2, Wadia 581se and PS Audio Perfect Wave.  I like the Wadia 581se. Guess it would match well with the Dynaudio and Plinius.

Offline seanyzf

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #499 on: January 26, 2010, 21:25 »
Have you audit Ayon CD1s yet? Maybe can consider if u like tube cdp. 

Offline sound_wave

« Reply #500 on: January 26, 2010, 22:24 »
Here's my very simple setup. Right now I'm only using my speaker with my home theatre. Still deciding what amp to use with my Dyns.

CAPS v2+, Calyx DAC 24/192, Primare i30, Dynaudio Focus 110

Offline sty

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #501 on: January 26, 2010, 23:52 »
Here's my very simple setup. Right now I'm only using my speaker with my home theatre. Still deciding what amp to use with my Dyns.

Very nice looking Focus 110. I guess this will be my next Dynaudio that I will be aiming to get.

Offline Starboard

« Reply #502 on: January 27, 2010, 01:32 »
Hello!

Well, I would like to ask some advice about my stereo system:

Simaudio Moon i-1 integrated amp
Simaudio Moon CD-1 player
Dynaudio Excite x32 speakers
OCOS Ultra speaker cable
Cardas Cross interconnect
Shunyata Diamondback power cable on CD-1

1) Do you think that x32 needs more watts to get best out of them ( i-1 50w/8ohm; 100w/4ohm)
2) Wich IC and speaker cable should I use - Cardas Cross is not so open and detailed but adds warmth
3) I would like to hear any other suggestion

Thanks!

Offline rahul

• Gooner
« Reply #503 on: January 27, 2010, 01:50 »
Hello!

OCOS Ultra speaker cable

1) Do you think that x32 needs more watts to get best out of them ( i-1 50w/8ohm; 100w/4ohm)
2) Wich IC and speaker cable should I use - Cardas Cross is not so open and detailed but adds warmth

Thanks!

Get Plinius 9100 for amplification and some Nordost cables for detail.Cant go wrong.
CDP: NAD C540    Plasma: Pioneer 427 AVR: Marantz SR5600     DVD: Oppo 981
Power Amp: Rotel 1075         Blu-Ray: Playstation 3  TubeAmp: Cayin MT12
Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6/LCR/B1   Sub: SVS SB12+ , REL Strata II
-----------------------------------------------
Study HiFi setup
- Lavry DA11, Densen DM30, Audiolab 8000P, Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII, Kimber 8TC

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #504 on: January 27, 2010, 06:52 »
I use RCA from pre to power becuase there are some limitation of the Plinius M8 pre amp. I need to connect HT bypass from my AV Processor to M8 Pre using RCA, but the pre amp ONLY allow RCA output to power amp when "HT Bypass" is selected. In another word, when "HT ByPass" is selected, XLR output to power amp is not working.

The Shunyata Mamba power cord is mainly for digitial source or pre. This model is not meant for power amp. I would try to swap the power cord around. The first step is to connect the Shunyata Mamba to the CDP.
Oh I see.. i face the same issue with the M8 and was wondering how to resolve. :)
Well, see if swapping the cords around gives you a little of what you want 1st then can tweak from there.. still advise to wait since you still have some pending room treatment to finalise the sound.

Offline stealth

• "Hear, see and pay with Confidence"
« Reply #505 on: January 27, 2010, 08:18 »
Hello!

OCOS Ultra speaker cable

Thanks!

Hi starboard,

Good combi you have there :D

What do you find lacking inyour setup?

The Simaudio amp has more than sufficient power for the X32, it's pretty easy to drive them. Maybe if you find your setup abit lean then it's the OCOS speaker cable :( Then again you using a Cardas Cross which add warm to the setup.. ;)

So best is to state what you need and it will be easy for us to suggest the way out for you ;)
hifi.com.sg 1 Coleman Street #01-23, 03-35 The Adelphi, Singapore 179803
Tel: 6336 1450, 6334 7639
https://hifi.com.sg

Offline clitang

« Reply #506 on: January 27, 2010, 09:36 »
Oh I see.. i face the same issue with the M8 and was wondering how to resolve. :)
Well, see if swapping the cords around gives you a little of what you want 1st then can tweak from there.. still advise to wait since you still have some pending room treatment to finalise the sound.

Another way to resolve this issue is to get a XLR to RCA converter. I have explored this option but don't like it.

There are good XLR to RCA converter available in the market. Refer to the link below. It is from Cardas.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1267830460&/Cardas-Adapters-XLR-to-Rca---t
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:38 by clitang »

marduk

« Reply #507 on: January 27, 2010, 09:39 »
I have to disagree with you on your Ayre observation and esepcially since you are already using a Ayre CDP. Which model is that? On what setup did you audition the Ayre amps with?
I try the ayre k5xe preamp with primare A31.2 power amp. The ayre is good. It has a clean, clear and forward sound. I would not describe as airy or lean. It is also dynamic, quiet with good detail. The bass is also fuller and bouncy. Overall, the ayre better the primare. I only felt that it lacks that bit of emotion that the primare can deliver. Perhaps is the synergy of the system.

marduk

« Reply #508 on: January 27, 2010, 09:47 »
I wouldnt agree with that. Dynaudio itself wouldn't be bright....unless your source or amplification is.
Infact thats one of the big things that I like about Dynaudio sound.
My source & amplification is not dry or lean. I am a 52SE user. To say it sounds bright is subjective. One may find it bright while another may not, but the character of the speaker cannot be changed totally. I find that the focus 110 on the other hand sounds mellower than the 52SE.

Offline abc

« Reply #509 on: January 27, 2010, 09:58 »
Get Plinius 9100 for amplification and some Nordost cables for detail.Cant go wrong.

Simply asking someone to change the amp without finding out whats the root cause was absurd. I was wondering how do you derive the theory of Plinius 9100 + Nordost cable + Dynaudio = best combi. As per my last thread i mentioned, there is no perfect combination at all.

i would advice Starboard to tweak with cable if it does not solve the issue then perhaps can try other source . Beside i don't find Plinius + Dynaudio that fantastic, heard it before and not impressed. I have heard Dynaudio with other brand of setup that sound way better.