Author Topic: Dynaudio Speaker Thread  (Read 1488285 times)

Offline clitang

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dynaudio Speaker Thread
« Reply #480 on: January 25, 2010, 09:39 »
Bro Clitang,

I think your too confuse or you can't really understand what you really need in your setup. Since both of us are using the same speaker I would like to invite you to listen to my setup although my setup is not as highend as yours :P But I believe it has some sound characterisics that you're looking for :D

By the way, how many hours have you click in the C1? Got more than 2/300hrs? If not, don't ever think of the upgrades ;)

Hi Stealth bro

Thank you for your invitation. Will PM you to arrange.

My C1 has run in for about 250hrs. I am not thinking of upgrading the speakers (at least for now). I have fall in love with Dynaudio.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not complianting the C1 is not performing.To me, it is one of best monitor speaker that money can buy.

From start, I have plan to upgrade my whole system. I am just doing it slowly.

1) Frist I change my speaker to C1 - Done
2) Then I change the speaker cable and interconnects - Done
3) Then I change my CDP - (Sold my Marnantz CDP and waiting to get a replacment)
4) Now, I am in the next stage of my project. That is to change my pre/power. Therefore, I am auditing, checking, asking, surfing to find what is the best match.
5) The last step is to do some tweat - New rack, footers, cable holders, isolation board etc...and room treatment

Maybe the next step is to do somethng to my HT...( If I can...)

Offline clitang

« Reply #481 on: January 25, 2010, 10:00 »
Well said! It does not matter how much your setup cost. Main thing is that you must enjoy your audio.

clitang, since you like your frens setup in HK, why dont you take more time to save up and get something that is tried and tested? It may be more cost effective than keep changing components to find the sound that you like. In the meanwhile, you can always try to listen to different configurations and identify what is missing to help narrow down your search.

Alternatively, you may want to audition much simpler setup and then you may realize how much better your setup sounds :)    

Hi All bro here

I really feel happy and want to say thank you to all the bro here who has given the advise and suggestion.

Yes, this is what I am doing now, audit different setup. Ask advise and suggestion from bro. If possbile do some house visit to listen to some home stup.....The aim is to seek the sound that I like.

I totally agreed that after all the money spend, effort, time. resources, arguing with CFO, sleepiness night, the ultimate is to enjoy music or movie. However, I guess in the process of doing all this, is a part of enjoyment also.

Let me share one web site, it is about one HiFi bro how he upgrade his HiFi and his experence. If you are interested and have the time, it is interesting to read....

http://www.review33.com/avforum/forum_message.php?topic=26080713012540

Offline abc

« Reply #482 on: January 25, 2010, 10:01 »
Clitang, be careful in selecting your source which i assume you haven't buy yet. After years of hifi i realized the key component of hifi is the CDP and Speaker. This are the 2 component that voice the overall sound, not much for amp IMHO. Thus do set yourself a good budget for your CDP, your amps/speaker are good. For IC i felt it is more for fine tuning.

Offline abc

« Reply #483 on: January 25, 2010, 10:04 »
I am glad that you are reading stuff from review33.com , there is alot of interesting topic in there. I spend most of my time in the HK forum.

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #484 on: January 25, 2010, 10:45 »
Hi all dynaudio bros, asking on behalf of my friend. he got a X12 recently and he is looking to get a integrated amp for a simple stereo bedroom setup. any recommendation with a $1.5k budget? thanks in advance.
ProJect Q.

Offline domj

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #485 on: January 25, 2010, 10:58 »
Clitang, I think once you get ur new cdp in place, then you can get a better feel of your system. If the cdp is a new set, then gotta break it in too. I think as u spend time with the system to understand what the new component is doing to the overall sound and evaluate what is missing, then perhaps u'll have a better idea before changing ur amps? In the meantime, be patient, relax and enjoy the music  ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:06 by domj »

Offline xerox

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #486 on: January 25, 2010, 11:52 »
Hi all dynaudio bros, asking on behalf of my friend. he got a X12 recently and he is looking to get a integrated amp for a simple stereo bedroom setup. any recommendation with a $1.5k budget? thanks in advance.

A used Naim Nait 5iV2 should fit the bill. He should be able to get it between 1.3K ~ 1.5k.
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

francis woo

« Reply #487 on: January 25, 2010, 12:07 »
I am using

Cable :

1) Siltech G7 330L Speaker cable.
2) Siltech G7 330i RCA interconnect between Pre/power
3) Siltech G5 SQ28 XLR interconnect between CDP and Pre
4) Siltech G7 220i RCA interconnect between AV pro and Plinius Pre
5) Shunyata Mamba power cable for Pre amp
6) PS Audio perfect wave AC 5 for CDP
7) PS Audio Statment for Plinius power amp
8) All power cable is connect to PS Audio Power Plant 600

Room Treatment (Work In Progress - Not installed yet)
1) 2 x ASC 16" x 36" Tube bass traps
2) 6 pcs of 24" x 24" RPG B.A.D. Panal diffuser
3) 3 pcs of 12" x 48" Diffuser from bro joamonte

HiFi Rack
1) Currently using custom Made rack!!!
If I want to change the rack, I would like to get the Finite Elemente's Master serises rack (If I can affort). I think I will need 2 sets to house all my equipment.
http://www.stereophile.com/standsracks/206finite/#

Wow, I wud love to have all these!!!............. ;D

Offline vp171s

« Reply #488 on: January 25, 2010, 13:36 »

$1.5K for new or used ?

I'm an Exposure fan so for me any of these used would be great ...

Exposure X / XV (with phono) / XX / Super XV (with phono) / Super XX

Well under $1K for any of the above.

If new, can consider the 2010S (not the original 2010) which was rated by Stereophile in their class A recommendation list. Before discount is about $1.6 I think.

Positive reviews (for what they are worth)...
http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/1105exposure/
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/exposure/exposure_2.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 14:02 by vp171s »

marduk

« Reply #489 on: January 25, 2010, 14:50 »
I am using

Cable :

1) Siltech G7 330L Speaker cable.
2) Siltech G7 330i RCA interconnect between Pre/power
3) Siltech G5 SQ28 XLR interconnect between CDP and Pre
4) Siltech G7 220i RCA interconnect between AV pro and Plinius Pre
5) Shunyata Mamba power cable for Pre amp
6) PS Audio perfect wave AC 5 for CDP
7) PS Audio Statment for Plinius power amp
8) All power cable is connect to PS Audio Power Plant 600

Room Treatment (Work In Progress - Not installed yet)
1) 2 x ASC 16" x 36" Tube bass traps
2) 6 pcs of 24" x 24" RPG B.A.D. Panal diffuser
3) 3 pcs of 12" x 48" Diffuser from bro joamonte

HiFi Rack
1) Currently using custom Made rack!!!
If I want to change the rack, I would like to get the Finite Elemente's Master serises rack (If I can affort). I think I will need 2 sets to house all my equipment.
http://www.stereophile.com/standsracks/206finite/#
Hi bro Clitang,
What a bunch of cables you have!! First of all you need to know what sort of sound you are after. Do you want more warmth, soundstage, transparency from your system? The best bet is to audition the equipment with your own system. I believe with your budget, you could negotiate for a home audition. Have you thought of the brystons, ayre or naim? I would love to own a C1, but is beyond my budget and since you are a proud owner of the C1, I wish you could also reap the best sound from it or perhaps invite me for a listen to your C1? hehe.. ;) take your time...Happy hunting...

Offline clitang

« Reply #490 on: January 25, 2010, 18:53 »
Hi bro Clitang,
What a bunch of cables you have!! First of all you need to know what sort of sound you are after. Do you want more warmth, soundstage, transparency from your system? The best bet is to audition the equipment with your own system. I believe with your budget, you could negotiate for a home audition. Have you thought of the brystons, ayre or naim? I would love to own a C1, but is beyond my budget and since you are a proud owner of the C1, I wish you could also reap the best sound from it or perhaps invite me for a listen to your C1? hehe.. ;) take your time...Happy hunting...

Thank you.

Before I purchase the Siltech cable. I have audited the Kimber select and Transparent Ultra speaker. Siltech is more suitable for C1 and Plinius. It is fast, accurate and transparent.

My option is open. Still seeking for the right amp/pre to blend into my current system. I notice that are some bro are using Ayre with Dynaudio speaker.

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #491 on: January 26, 2010, 01:25 »
A used Naim Nait 5iV2 should fit the bill. He should be able to get it between 1.3K ~ 1.5k.

$1.5K for new or used ?

I'm an Exposure fan so for me any of these used would be great ...

Exposure X / XV (with phono) / XX / Super XV (with phono) / Super XX

Well under $1K for any of the above.

If new, can consider the 2010S (not the original 2010) which was rated by Stereophile in their class A recommendation list. Before discount is about $1.6 I think.

Positive reviews (for what they are worth)...
http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/1105exposure/
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/exposure/exposure_2.html

thanks bro xerox & vp171s, i am not familiar with your recommendations. anyway have informed my friend. looking at new set. he's got a small requirement, he wants to play music off his PC. i did suggest BC S300iu but he is not a Class D lover, so next was a Cyrus 8xp d which is clearly over his budget if there is a usb input.  want this want that but limited budget. i also dunno liao.
ProJect Q.

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #492 on: January 26, 2010, 04:32 »
Before I purchase the Siltech cable. I have audited the Kimber select and Transparent Ultra speaker. Siltech is more suitable for C1 and Plinius. It is fast, accurate and transparent.

My option is open. Still seeking for the right amp/pre to blend into my current system. I notice that are some bro are using Ayre with Dynaudio speaker.
kimber and transparent are in a different school versus siltech in terms of character, so if u prefer fast, accurate and transparent u need not look at those brands. :) i guess nordost is fairly commonly used with dynaudio here, which give these characteristics as well.. so far i find black sand power cords and slinkylinks to have similar attributes.

btw just wondering, any reason why u use RCA from pre to power, but XLR from cdp to pre?

no idea about the sound of ps audio exactly, so cannot really comment on your existing setup just from specs. hope someone else can help you. however, what i found so far is that the warmer sounding cord (e.g. ur shunyata?) should be placed either on dac or power, whereas the pre could use with a more dynamic sounding cord. maybe can try swapping around to see if any difference, since it is free.

i personally do not like the sound of ayre, but since it is available for home trial from Norman, why not give it a try?

Offline clitang

« Reply #493 on: January 26, 2010, 08:31 »
kimber and transparent are in a different school versus siltech in terms of character, so if u prefer fast, accurate and transparent u need not look at those brands. :) i guess nordost is fairly commonly used with dynaudio here, which give these characteristics as well.. so far i find black sand power cords and slinkylinks to have similar attributes.

btw just wondering, any reason why u use RCA from pre to power, but XLR from cdp to pre?

no idea about the sound of ps audio exactly, so cannot really comment on your existing setup just from specs. hope someone else can help you. however, what i found so far is that the warmer sounding cord (e.g. ur shunyata?) should be placed either on dac or power, whereas the pre could use with a more dynamic sounding cord. maybe can try swapping around to see if any difference, since it is free.

i personally do not like the sound of ayre, but since it is available for home trial from Norman, why not give it a try?

Hi Quest Bro

I use RCA from pre to power becuase there are some limitation of the Plinius M8 pre amp. I need to connect HT bypass from my AV Processor to M8 Pre using RCA, but the pre amp ONLY allow RCA output to power amp when "HT Bypass" is selected. In another word, when "HT ByPass" is selected, XLR output to power amp is not working.

The Shunyata Mamba power cord is mainly for digitial source or pre. This model is not meant for power amp. I would try to swap the power cord around. The first step is to connect the Shunyata Mamba to the CDP.

marduk

« Reply #494 on: January 26, 2010, 09:37 »
Thank you.

[/quote]
I find that the Ayre amplifiers has a slightly dry and forward character. However, their KXR preamp on the contrary is neutral, balanced and sweet (wish I could afford!  :(). I am using an Ayre player and after the MP upgrade, the sound is much sweeter. Not sure about their amps though. Krell on the other hand, will be having a wide soundstage, revealing and digs lots of detail. Depending on individual taste, you will either love or hate it...IMHO, I notice the dynaudio house sound is slightly bright, therefore equipment selection will need to steer away from lean sounding electronics...