Author Topic: Dynaudio Speaker Thread  (Read 1445041 times)

Offline nic_wei

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dynaudio Speaker Thread
« Reply #6420 on: April 15, 2019, 11:43 »
My Bluesound Node2i->Schiit Gungnir->Saga->Vidar->Special 40 is too bright until I cannot listen for long and even hurt my ears which I still feel the pain now after yesterday night listening. I haven't not encounter this brightness before with KEF LS50 or ATC SCM7v3.

Can any bros here give me some guidance to resolve the brightness? Is it because of cables issues or amplifier mismatch? I also read from old posts in this thread that insufficient power from amp can cause brightness in speakers too.

Thanks a million.

If any Bro who recommended amp willing to open house, you can bring your speaker to try with their amp. Please beware, their house are very poisonous!  :-X
Chord Electronics
Dynaudio Speakers (Stereo & HT)
Oppo BDP / Denon AVR / Panasonic Projector / OS Screen
FE Rack & Accessories / Nordost & Ansuz Cables / Sine Power Distributors

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6421 on: April 15, 2019, 11:48 »
.....or a pair of Ayre MXR Twenty will solve your brightness problem.....but then you need to get rid of the Schitt.

(Audio)

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #6422 on: April 15, 2019, 11:54 »
lugging the S40 to someone else house is tedious and likewise anyone bringing amp to his place as well.
i use to see ppl do it. nowadays rare. most buy without such critical assessment.
can only do once the buyer is firm to get then can arrange. long ago ppl with big condo do shootout. now no more such kangtao. anyway hifi very personal, what i like may not suit you.

objectively like what some ppl tells me, let go my Plinius. change something else.
i will also say the same thing to bro thye, change those s....
last would be give up the S40 get another spk that suits you.  ;D
ProJect Q.

Offline malsound

« Reply #6423 on: April 15, 2019, 12:19 »
My Bluesound Node2i->Schiit Gungnir->Saga->Vidar->Special 40 is too bright until I cannot listen for long and even hurt my ears which I still feel the pain now after yesterday night listening. I haven't not encounter this brightness before with KEF LS50 or ATC SCM7v3.

Can any bros here give me some guidance to resolve the brightness? Is it because of cables issues or amplifier mismatch? I also read from old posts in this thread that insufficient power from amp can cause brightness in speakers too.

Thanks a million.

If you read the Stereophile review on your speaker it did mention that the reviewer is bother by the 1k Spike and the suck out following that so the way to remedy this is to look a IC or spk cable that does not accentuate this frequency.

BadEnglish

« Reply #6424 on: April 15, 2019, 12:21 »

Thanks a million.

There are differences between brightness and harsh of noisy system.  When the noisy system reproduces the sound , it's harsh and music is not clear.  To counter act it,  owners play the music louder , it'll get worse.

Based on what youth described, I am very much suspect that it's noisy system and your living room is too bright.

What kind of music do you listen.
How loud,  in dB.
How far do you sit from speaker and how wide speakers apart?

Offline tsi-dsg

• Snr Member
« Reply #6425 on: April 15, 2019, 19:25 »

Thanks a million.

It might be your amp not having sufficient power to drive the S40, Dyns ain’t very efficient speakers more so when u are upgrading to higher models, u might wanna source for 1 that is high current instead of just high power ratings, another possibility is the environment especially so if theres no treatment done.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 19:27 by tsi-dsg »
Stereo: Magico S3MK2, Gryphon Diablo 300,
LH Labs The Source SSD w/KECES lps, LH Lab Vidac Signature Dac

Cables:Synergistic Powercell 12se UEF
,Synergistic Galileo cord, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 Cord, Kubala Sosna Elation Cord,,Albedo USB,Ansuz Aluminum XLR ,Solidsteel rack,
Magico Spod, Synergistic Mig 2.0

HT 5.2.1: Denon X3400H,Magico S3MK2, Elac atmos(front),SVS SB2000(sub), Kef 3005HT(surround),MA CC300(Center)
Source: Nvidia Shield TV, NuBox android

Offline thyewb

« Reply #6426 on: April 15, 2019, 22:08 »
Thanks guys for the suggestion. Probably amp need to change to bring out the potential of S40. Apart from Plinius, Accuphase, Marantz PM11, Ayre MXR Twenty, can Exposure 3010S2D or Rega Elicit-R do the job for the time being?

Offline thyewb

« Reply #6427 on: April 15, 2019, 22:22 »
Hi BadEnglish,

The speakers are 1.6m apart and my listening position is 1.8m away.
Yes, I do feel my system is noisy and sometime I increase the volume and become harsh as you mentioned.
I am using Plixir 1st gen BAC800 power conditioner. I will get noise analyzer to test it.

There are differences between brightness and harsh of noisy system.  When the noisy system reproduces the sound , it's harsh and music is not clear.  To counter act it,  owners play the music louder , it'll get worse.

Based on what youth described, I am very much suspect that it's noisy system and your living room is too bright.

What kind of music do you listen.
How loud,  in dB.
How far do you sit from speaker and how wide speakers apart?

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #6428 on: April 15, 2019, 22:23 »
err no.?. unless someone using the 2 you mentioned IS actually pairing them with a pair of Dynaudio S40 or any current 4ohm dynaudio bookshelf's gives a valid green light saying can.  :-X
anyhow much are those? there are some entry pre-own accuphase around. the S40 did sound better when bro comfort had it.
ProJect Q.

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #6429 on: April 15, 2019, 22:41 »
Thanks guys for the suggestion. Probably amp need to change to bring out the potential of S40. Apart from Plinius, Accuphase, Marantz PM11, Ayre MXR Twenty, can Exposure 3010S2D or Rega Elicit-R do the job for the time being?
Since you have the speaker, why not try it with some of these amps instead of soliciting even more choices and confusing yourself bro?
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline thyewb

« Reply #6430 on: April 16, 2019, 20:18 »

err no.?. unless someone using the 2 you mentioned IS actually pairing them with a pair of Dynaudio S40 or any current 4ohm dynaudio bookshelf's gives a valid green light saying can.  :-X
anyhow much are those? there are some entry pre-own accuphase around. the S40 did sound better when bro comfort had it.

DJQ, where can I find pre-owned Accuphase? I normally look for pre-owned at this forum or Carousell.
Bro Comfort's system had transformed tremendously after his F110. Very impressive now..

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Offline thyewb

« Reply #6431 on: April 16, 2019, 20:24 »

Since you have the speaker, why not try it with some of these amps instead of soliciting even more choices and confusing yourself bro?

Hi Pete, cos the amps recommended by Bros here are mainly above 5k while the 2 I mentioned are available now around 2k pre-owned. Guess I will need to up my budget to bring my system to next level to shine S40.

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #6432 on: April 16, 2019, 21:01 »

Hi Pete, cos the amps recommended by Bros here are mainly above 5k while the 2 I mentioned are available now around 2k pre-owned. Guess I will need to up my budget to bring my system to next level to shine S40.

IMHO, you can use what you have first or trade up, eg a PM 11 should be under 4k, and will give plenty of juice. But it's best to listen first..
Also try the new Cambridge Audio Edge A. Very powerful and very musical..
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline tsi-dsg

• Snr Member
« Reply #6433 on: April 16, 2019, 21:27 »

U can consider getting Hegel 160 or preferably 360, will not break your bank:)
Stereo: Magico S3MK2, Gryphon Diablo 300,
LH Labs The Source SSD w/KECES lps, LH Lab Vidac Signature Dac

Cables:Synergistic Powercell 12se UEF
,Synergistic Galileo cord, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 Cord, Kubala Sosna Elation Cord,,Albedo USB,Ansuz Aluminum XLR ,Solidsteel rack,
Magico Spod, Synergistic Mig 2.0

HT 5.2.1: Denon X3400H,Magico S3MK2, Elac atmos(front),SVS SB2000(sub), Kef 3005HT(surround),MA CC300(Center)
Source: Nvidia Shield TV, NuBox android

Online Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #6434 on: April 16, 2019, 22:39 »

You probably need a high current amp with higher damping factor to allow you with a better control of the speakers. Consider this amp - https://sg.carousell.com/p/merrill-audio-taranis-stereo-amp-400watts-ch-218337059/, should be easy on your pocket. Go direct with Schiit Gungnir DAC since it has balanced output and use Bluesound Node2i to control the volume if that works.