Author Topic: Dynaudio Speaker Thread  (Read 1473319 times)

Offline planet

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dynaudio Speaker Thread
« Reply #6405 on: April 12, 2019, 09:53 »

Offline dXter

« Reply #6406 on: April 12, 2019, 11:16 »
Very smart looking speaker.

Offline Pismo Mac

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #6407 on: April 12, 2019, 12:10 »
That is a very large bookshelf speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline planet

« Reply #6408 on: April 14, 2019, 13:28 »
The new foot for Contour has been changed.
Old Contour 30:

New Contour 30:

Offline thyewb

« Reply #6409 on: April 14, 2019, 21:19 »
My Bluesound Node2i->Schiit Gungnir->Saga->Vidar->Special 40 is too bright until I cannot listen for long and even hurt my ears which I still feel the pain now after yesterday night listening. I haven't not encounter this brightness before with KEF LS50 or ATC SCM7v3.

Can any bros here give me some guidance to resolve the brightness? Is it because of cables issues or amplifier mismatch? I also read from old posts in this thread that insufficient power from amp can cause brightness in speakers too.

Thanks a million.

Hi DJQ, this is my humble system in my living room of 4rm HDB. I normally go for gears preceived to be VFM or pre-owned.

SOTM SMS-200~Schiit Gungnir~Schiit Saga~Schiit Vidar
IC: Mogami 2803
SC: Tellurium Q Black II
Power: Plixir BAC800 with Fiery PCs.

Stands- using Isoacoustics stands as need to place the speakers on TV console. Tweeter height is too high so need to change to shorter footers.  Speakers are very near to the back. No choice as TV console is mounted on walll. Bass is boomy at times, so need to stuff rear port.

Rack- Components sitting on $70 Ikea shelf.

Cables- Entry-level cables.

Amp- Entry-level too.

I went through KEF LS50, ATC7v3,  KEF Q750 then Dynaudio F110 on past 2 years. Finally own a S40 which is a class above all I previously owned, so need to upgrade some gears to bring out the potential of S40.

I guess the priority is to get some short footers and a good higher power quality amp.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #6410 on: April 14, 2019, 23:31 »
well i wont talk like ppl tell you remove your schiit can get something else.  ;D :P
all bias and unbias opinions aside, i Will tell you get the pre own plinius integrated amp.  ;D
ProJect Q.

Offline marcusdeming

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #6411 on: April 14, 2019, 23:53 »
Throwing another option into the mix, a Gryphon Diablo is pretty good too.
Humility and Contentment makes a happy man

Offline comfortablynumb

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6412 on: April 14, 2019, 23:58 »
.....or an Accuphase  ;D
If we call for the proof and we question the answers
Only the doubt will grow......
- Ammonia Avenue (Alan Parsons Project)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #6413 on: April 15, 2019, 00:12 »
I use a Marantz PM 11. No issues with brightness. Plenty of power to fill up to a 5 by 6m room.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline nic_wei

« Reply #6414 on: April 15, 2019, 11:43 »
My Bluesound Node2i->Schiit Gungnir->Saga->Vidar->Special 40 is too bright until I cannot listen for long and even hurt my ears which I still feel the pain now after yesterday night listening. I haven't not encounter this brightness before with KEF LS50 or ATC SCM7v3.

Can any bros here give me some guidance to resolve the brightness? Is it because of cables issues or amplifier mismatch? I also read from old posts in this thread that insufficient power from amp can cause brightness in speakers too.

Thanks a million.

If any Bro who recommended amp willing to open house, you can bring your speaker to try with their amp. Please beware, their house are very poisonous!  :-X
Chord Electronics
Dynaudio Speakers (Stereo & HT)
Oppo BDP / Denon AVR / Panasonic Projector / OS Screen
FE Rack & Accessories / DIY Cables / Sine Power Distributors

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6415 on: April 15, 2019, 11:48 »
.....or a pair of Ayre MXR Twenty will solve your brightness problem.....but then you need to get rid of the Schitt.

(Audio)

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #6416 on: April 15, 2019, 11:54 »
lugging the S40 to someone else house is tedious and likewise anyone bringing amp to his place as well.
i use to see ppl do it. nowadays rare. most buy without such critical assessment.
can only do once the buyer is firm to get then can arrange. long ago ppl with big condo do shootout. now no more such kangtao. anyway hifi very personal, what i like may not suit you.

objectively like what some ppl tells me, let go my Plinius. change something else.
i will also say the same thing to bro thye, change those s....
last would be give up the S40 get another spk that suits you.  ;D
ProJect Q.

Offline malsound

« Reply #6417 on: April 15, 2019, 12:19 »

Thanks a million.

If you read the Stereophile review on your speaker it did mention that the reviewer is bother by the 1k Spike and the suck out following that so the way to remedy this is to look a IC or spk cable that does not accentuate this frequency.

BadEnglish

« Reply #6418 on: April 15, 2019, 12:21 »

Thanks a million.

There are differences between brightness and harsh of noisy system.  When the noisy system reproduces the sound , it's harsh and music is not clear.  To counter act it,  owners play the music louder , it'll get worse.

Based on what youth described, I am very much suspect that it's noisy system and your living room is too bright.

What kind of music do you listen.
How loud,  in dB.
How far do you sit from speaker and how wide speakers apart?

Offline tsi-dsg

• Snr Member
« Reply #6419 on: April 15, 2019, 19:25 »

Thanks a million.

It might be your amp not having sufficient power to drive the S40, Dyns ain’t very efficient speakers more so when u are upgrading to higher models, u might wanna source for 1 that is high current instead of just high power ratings, another possibility is the environment especially so if theres no treatment done.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 19:27 by tsi-dsg »
Stereo: Magico S3MK2, Gryphon Diablo 300,
LH Labs The Source SSD w/KECES lps, LH Lab Vidac Signature Dac

Cables:Synergistic Powercell 12se UEF
,Synergistic Galileo cord, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 Cord, Kubala Sosna Elation Cord,,Albedo USB,Ansuz Aluminum XLR ,hORNS rack,
Magico Spod, Synergistic Mig 2.0,Synergistic Carbon XOT

HT 5.2.1: Denon X3400H,Magico S3MK2, Elac atmos(front),SVS SB2000(sub), Kef 3005HT(surround),MA CC300(Center)
Source: Nvidia Shield TV, NuBox android