Author Topic: Dynaudio Speaker Thread  (Read 1387586 times)

Offline mousike

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dynaudio Speaker Thread
« Reply #6240 on: December 22, 2018, 13:41 »
Yes, that was me from a month or two ago.

I was supposed to have gone ahead with the powe line upgrade, but putting it on hold for now till I have confirmed where exactly I wish to place the amp system. While I have nailed down the speaker locations, I’m still on the fence over where to finally park the amp. One leaves it dead center but leaves  the cables exposed in the front, the other will lead to a cable coil behind the amp for one speaker side due to the asymetrical placement.

So for the moment, I’m still using the standard wall outlet with some cheap power cable I found for cheap off Taobao. Once I finalise all my equipment placement I intend to just change all the power lines to acrolink.

So both speaker cables and power lines will be acrolink for continuity.

I strongly recommend to look into a power conditioner follow by PC follow by IC follow by SC. Combined they make a HUGE difference. A good pair of speakers will reveal issues from the upstream and everything in between. All my PC and IC from Audience and nothing too fancy about them but it works well on both Dynaudio and Sonus Faber.

Offline whyeme

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #6241 on: December 22, 2018, 15:07 »
Think I read somewhere that some dyn spkrs require more than 300 hours burn in
Hall: Philips 65PFA4350/98. W4S mAMP monoblocks. Emotiva UMC-200/UPA-500. Oppo BDT-101CI. SB Acoustics ARA Matt White. Dynaudio Contour SCX Gloss Black. Dynaudio Audience 42. Orisun DD+12. Velodyne SPL 1000 Ultra. DSPeaker Antimode 8033 S. Belden Studio 814. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Zidoo H6 Pro.

Bedroom: Plinius 2100i. Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. iFi Micro iDSD. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Belden Studio 814.

Headfi: Phonak Audeo PFE012 Grey Filters. Penon Audio OS849. ZTE Axon 7.

Offline mousike

« Reply #6242 on: December 22, 2018, 16:31 »
In my earlier years I would bounce like a beagle over every change in my system. Now I am like golden retriever, a little tamed, and and not easily flinched. The change is progressive and would improve over time but characteristically still the same - just better. Really, I won’t count the hours...so at least for me if I like what I heard I would only like it better over time otherwise it won’t matter... :)

Offline nic_wei

« Reply #6243 on: December 22, 2018, 16:52 »
My 5.1.2 Dynaudio speakers collection. I am happy with the sound & enjoy it (stereo) almost every night. :D

Next upgrade will be the center speaker.  :P

Chord Blu / QBD76, Densen DM20 / 30
Dynaudio C1 Platinum / 200C / S1.4 (Surround) / IC17 (Height) / Sub 600
Oppo Blu-ray, Denon AVR, Panasonic Projector, OS Screen
Finite Elemente Rack & Accessories, Nordost Cables, Sine Power Distributors

Offline wusplay

« Reply #6244 on: December 23, 2018, 13:57 »
Nice setup!
Haha , Center speaker hiding behind the chords

Offline whoizzit2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #6245 on: December 27, 2018, 20:28 »
Think I read somewhere that some dyn spkrs require more than 300 hours burn in

Yea, more or so but I had the Focus 160 which I remembered clocking and it takes about 500 hrs or more to sound their best!! The S40 takes lesser time to break in as far as im concerned.

Offline Rachael

• Snr Member
« Reply #6246 on: December 28, 2018, 01:36 »
I m wondering if the daily amount of hours we played a new pr of spks from beginning affects the number of hours to run in. For instance, 2-3hrs daily, 500hrs to run in, if 8-10hrs daily, it will ran in by 300hrs?

Offline malsound

« Reply #6247 on: December 28, 2018, 06:56 »
It is not the hour per say that determine the hours of final running in time but the content of music or noise. I have had similar experience with my totem forest which a similar driver as dynaudio. I use to play Beethoven symphony No. 9 at about 9 oclock before going for my morning walk/breakfast and that morning exercise for the speaker will shorten the run in time with the rich hamonix content of the music. Other time I just use a cheap transistor slave amp to play tuner at off station(white noise) when I am out for half a day by using its wide band width. A lot got to done not just to run in the surround but mostly to relax the polymer cone.

Offline Rachael

• Snr Member
« Reply #6248 on: December 28, 2018, 08:20 »
Apparently, the Forest uses a HiVi driver that is made as a knock off to the Dynaudio woofer. The similarities were the material MSP and the 3” voice coil.
I guess your analogy makes more sense than mine. Thanks for sharing.

Offline acidic88

« Reply #6249 on: January 14, 2019, 10:58 »
Hi everyone, I've just purchased the S40 with Stand 6 and as this is my first Dynaudio, I wonder how I can build up my setup from here onwards. I listen to quite a range of music from jazz, vocals, rock and pop.  I love the sound of tubes but the good ones are really expensive. Rhythm and pace is important to me. So I am contemplating on a tube pre, SS power amp if budget permits.

I'll likely be getting the Avid Ingenium PnP TT this weekend. Also getting a Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge.
Listening area: Living hall, rectangular shape around 7m x 3m
Speaker placement: Along the long wall (old 3rm HDB)

So I guess my real question is, how should I start? With a budget of 2k, I don't mind second hand equipment in the amplification department. Was quite interested in Schiit Freya with Naim NAP100 combo..

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #6250 on: January 14, 2019, 11:28 »
Check that the pre-amp can amplify the 5mV output of the Nagaoka to a sufficient enough level to drive the power amp. Otherwise you will have to invest in a phono stage. Phono stages add typically around 40dB gain for MM cartridges.

The alternative approach is to get a hybrid (tube pre section with SS power section) integrated amplifier with a built-in phono stage. 

Offline deepakvali

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • La Resistance !
« Reply #6251 on: January 15, 2019, 23:43 »
Does anyone know who would be willing to repair my XEO3? New agent is ripping me off @ $900 for a part (not parts) replacement. This seems like penalising me for not being their day 1 customer
Dynaudio Focus 110 - looking for new home and also other budget cables ;)

Offline DJQ

• PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #6252 on: February 11, 2019, 11:45 »
ProJect Q.

Offline mousike

« Reply #6253 on: February 13, 2019, 21:49 »
Does anyone know who would be willing to repair my XEO3? New agent is ripping me off @ $900 for a part (not parts) replacement. This seems like penalising me for not being their day 1 customer

May I know what was wrong? That kind of money you can rework the xover!

Offline DJQ

• PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #6254 on: February 18, 2019, 01:56 »
all right. clean up messy cables and rearranged. itchy backside wanna change something...

ProJect Q.