Author Topic: Dynaudio Speaker Thread  (Read 1428733 times)

Offline e24djenggos

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dynaudio Speaker Thread
« Reply #6225 on: December 07, 2018, 20:46 »
Wusplay, its a done deal for me last saturday. After the  comparison a month ago. I trade in mine last saturday for special 40. The step up is significant. Sounds fuller with better imaging

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #6226 on: December 08, 2018, 03:48 »
Those S40s won’t be in production forever.. if you like them, grab them quickly..
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline wusplay

« Reply #6227 on: December 09, 2018, 12:54 »

Look like a metallic dome underneath the Cerotar tweeter. I think it will not be dented easily unlike previous generation of soft dome we can press all the way in.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 13:13 by wusplay »

Offline romeox90

« Reply #6228 on: December 18, 2018, 13:21 »

Hi. Just got started on my first entry into hifi. Still busy burning in the drivers before I'll start working on the positioning of the speakers.

that said, this is, as stated, my first speakers/amp purchase. So just to ask if anyone here is familiar with roughly how long your own dynaudios took to settle in?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 13:25 by romeox90 »

Offline Rachael

• Snr Member
« Reply #6229 on: December 18, 2018, 18:01 »
Approx 50hrs to begin getting deeper d bass n treble sounded less shrill n smoother, mid were gd out of d box if not sweeter after initial 50hrs if I not imagining things

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #6230 on: December 18, 2018, 23:06 »
I think its longer than that. Have patience.
ProJect Q.

Offline etnt

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #6231 on: December 19, 2018, 08:15 »
300hrs

Offline romeox90

« Reply #6232 on: December 19, 2018, 22:42 »
Gosh looks like i'd better buckle down. Its going to be a long ride to burn it in.

That said, what I'm really hoping is that the 'sssss' sibilance in the upper notes will tame down and the bass will improve in its texture and control.

On another note, I saw some discussions on the S40. I was highly considering it, but decided against it in the the end. While I found it highly musical with a slight mid-lower bass bump, and a very accentuated vocals as a result, it lacked the upper treble extension and resolution i needed. With this in mind, I'm looking for a more resolving version of the S40, while maintaining that magical signature that just lures you into the music. I'm eyeing the SF Olympica I, or the recently announced Tradition line. Need something to complement my current Dynaudio speaker.

I know that I just bought my first speakers lol, but I think that this constant lust for more gears is a crime that we all fall prey to haha. 

Offline DJQ

« Reply #6233 on: December 19, 2018, 23:46 »
sorry i do not really follow you. so what speakers did you get and using what to drive them. there are alot of background tweaks and things you need to do just to get the Dynaudio to really melt you.
ProJect Q.

Offline whoizzit2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #6234 on: December 20, 2018, 21:28 »
Those S40s won’t be in production forever.. if you like them, grab them quickly..

Oh S40s will not be in production forever is it. So its just like the S25 except the 25 was limited runs.

Offline DJQ

« Reply #6235 on: December 20, 2018, 23:20 »
this time this day. its no longer like that.  ;D
ProJect Q.

Offline romeox90

« Reply #6236 on: December 22, 2018, 06:54 »
sorry i do not really follow you. so what speakers did you get and using what to drive them. there are alot of background tweaks and things you need to do just to get the Dynaudio to really melt you.

Wanted to post a picture of my rig to simplify things  but can’t seem to find the option to attach it. Would also help with describing the placement issues.

Anyway basic parameters are
1) Hegel 190
2) Contour 20
3) acrolink S1010
4) Media control: Roon using SoTM and ifi USB 3.0

There is a sort of sharp glare in the leading edge of the upper registers. I recognise that mastering of tracks play a large role, but it’s rather distracting from the song, and to a certain degree fatiguing. I’ll probably be throwing in a dedicated streamer/dac once I get a better idea of the issue. Currently I’m using the Hegel internal DAC.

It’s slowly dying after the past few days of continuous burn in tracks alternated with occasional music, but it’s still not gone even after 70 hours. Is it supposed to take this Long or did I just get rekt’Ed, as they say, by room acoustics? It didn’t sound like this at the show room. I know that thebtracks don’t sound like that, when tested in other systems and players.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:56 by romeox90 »

Offline mousike

« Reply #6237 on: December 22, 2018, 07:38 »
There are more refinement from Confidence series and up but what u have described it doesn’t sound right to me. I have both Dynaudio and Sonus Faber speakers and yes they do sound different but it’s more of a characteristic or different style of presentation. What power cables and interconnects you are using? All Acrolink?

Offline malsound

« Reply #6238 on: December 22, 2018, 07:46 »

Didn't you just query about power line upgrade, could this part of the problem. Some time with an equipment upgrade one has to remix and match cables. Happen in hifi shop all the time, they just didn't tell you.  ;)

Offline romeox90

« Reply #6239 on: December 22, 2018, 13:25 »
Yes, that was me from a month or two ago.

I was supposed to have gone ahead with the powe line upgrade, but putting it on hold for now till I have confirmed where exactly I wish to place the amp system. While I have nailed down the speaker locations, I’m still on the fence over where to finally park the amp. One leaves it dead center but leaves  the cables exposed in the front, the other will lead to a cable coil behind the amp for one speaker side due to the asymetrical placement.

So for the moment, I’m still using the standard wall outlet with some cheap power cable I found for cheap off Taobao. Once I finalise all my equipment placement I intend to just change all the power lines to acrolink.

So both speaker cables and power lines will be acrolink for continuity.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 13:29 by romeox90 »