Author Topic: Speaker stand recommendation  (Read 9787 times)

Offline redders

• Trade Count: (0)
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
Speaker stand recommendation
« on: May 23, 2008, 16:03 »
Hi guys, from your experiences, what type of speaker stand is most suitable for bookshelf speaker e.g Wharfedale Diamond 9.1?

From what I gathered, there are many kind of stands, some made of metal, some made of wood, some can be filled with sand/lead shot etc etc.

Is it okay to use a speaker stand who's top plate is smaller size than the speaker? any implications? Do not seems to find the exact size mapping top plate for e.g, Wharfedale Diamond 9.

Thanks

Offline Spunky

Re: Speaker stand recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 16:15 »
Is it okay to use a speaker stand who's top plate is smaller size than the speaker? any implications? Do not seems to find the exact size mapping top plate for e.g, Wharfedale Diamond 9.

Personally find it kinda weird to have plate bigger than the spkr's footprint! ;) 
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

Offline DanDon

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 16:16 »
As heavy as possible for speaker stand with spikes. Get those that can be sand-filled. I have not seen top-plate that is as big as base of the bookself speaker.

Currently, I'm looking for Target 24" stand as it has 4 colums that can be sand-filled.

Offline redders

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 16:30 »
As heavy as possible for speaker stand with spikes. Get those that can be sand-filled. I have not seen top-plate that is as big as base of the bookself speaker.

Currently, I'm looking for Target 24" stand as it has 4 colums that can be sand-filled.

Spikes seems only relevant if on carpeted floor, my is normal tiled floor. So I assumed without spikes also fine?

Offline redders

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 16:34 »
Besides drilling holes and screwing speaker to top plates, what else do you guys secure the speakers on the stand? blu-tac? velcro? what else?...thks.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 16:35 »
Spikes seems only relevant if on carpeted floor, my is normal tiled floor. So I assumed without spikes also fine?
;D

normally comes with spikes but u can remove them if the spkrs sounds better without them!
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 16:36 »

You will need spike isolators, Iam using TAOC isolators for my Target stands.

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 16:38 »
Besides drilling holes and screwing speaker to top plates, what else do you guys secure the speakers on the stand? blu-tac? velcro? what else?...thks.

Use blu-tac its cheap and good. Its stays firm on the plate without moving.

Offline jayou

• Hobbyisit
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 17:53 »
Anyone using our one dollar gold coins as spike isolators?  :)  I am thinking of using them.
Good sounding vinyl in your collection
http://www.hobbyisit.com/category/good-sounding-vinyl/

Offline DanDon

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 17:56 »
I used to use 1 cent coin. One dollar too wasteful.  ;D

Anyone using our one dollar gold coins as spike isolators?  :)  I am thinking of using them.

Offline DanDon

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 18:02 »
I'm using spikes on tiled floor. If without spikes, make sure the floor is even, otherwise it might rock. With spikes, the height can be adjusted to prevent rocking.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 18:30 by DanDon »

Offline davidloh

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 21:16 »
I plan to custom mine.. 1. from my listening position (factor in slouching if you do) then measure the height of the ears.) I then measure the height I need to place the tweeters about 1-2cm below that.

Getting to a marble tile contractor and get him to make a rectangular column to the size of the speaker base and height needed.. doesn't have to be solid. A sealed hollow column is already more than 30kg depending on height.. and u can ask him to fill with loose marble chips and sand to make it killer heavy. they'll polish the column and make sure it's level before delivery.

not sure how much in SG.. Beijing costs about SGD300 - 400 total depending on shade of marble.. good luck

Offline redders

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 23:58 »
Okay, thks guys for giving so much inform, now back to the basic question? where can I get spike stands in SG? or many of you import from Amazon etc?:)

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 08:40 »
Electrades - Adelphi L4

Offline mHiFi

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 08:42 »
Okay, thks guys for giving so much inform, now back to the basic question? where can I get spike stands in SG? or many of you import from Amazon etc?:)

Did you look at the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 original glass plate stand? I am thinking of getting that. Any comment?

Beside spike on the speaker stand, you can also uses spike under the speaker. You have to listen to yourself as everyone have different room effect. For secure and easy remove, most will use blue tag.