Author Topic: Movies you watched recently and felt strongly about  (Read 114719 times)

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
Re: Movies you watched recently and felt strongly about
« Reply #465 on: May 13, 2017, 13:22 »
I watched this oldie yesterday and I was really impressed with the gun fight scene between D Moore n 2 killers towards the end of the movie.
One of the best mid bass gunshot sound presentation around.  The intensity and sound reverberation on the surrounds are palpable and you will hear echoes and ringing in your ears thereafter!
Don't miss it

Sent from my Sexy8 using Tapatalk

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #466 on: May 14, 2017, 12:59 »

Intouchable – movie review

I have always had an affinity for French movies. The French language lends itself to humor, most often dosed with a bit of sarcasm. If it’s served with great wit and timing, by actors with a good chemistry, that’s the recipe for a great movie.

True stories are often a good basis for a movie, and this one actually has a pretty standard plot, borrowing elements from “Scent of a Woman”, Bucket List and other such movies. But the part which elevates this movie to greater heights is the cast. The two protagonists play off each other very well.

They couldn’t be any more different. The rich white man, tetraplegic after a sporting accident, eccentric, and demanding. The black man, with a poor background, an immigrant from Africa, fresh out of the prison, on welfare and bitter about society and everything else.

He turns up for an interview to be the helper for this man and they strike it off enough for the tetraplegic to give this man a trial of one month, despite the better advice of his lawyer, who has the black man all figured out.

There are a few standard vignettes and scenes of two men getting to know each other. A bit of Pretty Woman as the black man is introduced to a ridiculously large mansion and the trapping of wealth. But I can’t tell you how much difference a good pairing makes to the success of a movie and the two certainly hit it off.

You will find funny scenes; some moving ones, and the tight plot keeps it moving nicely.

Now the interesting thing about the show is that despite not having a single explosion or bomb, it manages to impress soundwise too. The surround channels get well used as the two go around Paris, and the bass does get some workout when they drive around. Finally the dialogue is great, and the music used will test your front channels. I decided to get an album of Earth, Wind and Fire after the show.

Highly recommended.

Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline petetherock

« Reply #467 on: May 29, 2017, 21:07 »
Air Force One - movie review

I have been following the aftermath of the US elections and I decided to pop this old movie into the player. The feel of the movie totally a 90s one with the music, the acting and even the dialogue. There's a certain "Die Hard in the Sky" feel about it, and Harrison Ford was a young and handsome man back then.

Gary Oldman was a tour de force - playing the villain great alacrity and yet, between takes, he was a riot of fun, resulting in the crew calling the movie "Air Force Fun".
This movie had the elements of the best actioners - good plot, tight  editing, and chemistry between the actors. The action was well executed and despite the music and dialogue, it's still a riot of fun.
Incidentally Harrison Ford was regarded as the guy who most movie goers want as the next president, and that sort of contrast with the current POTUS. In the movie, you see a whole bunch of people throwing themselves in harm's way to protect the president, and some of them sacrificing their lives in the process. I really wonder if the very same officers and other men will do the same for Trump..
There have been other films where the president is under attack, in peril, etc, but this one gives the most food for thought. I wonder if we can remain objective if our family is being threatened, and do we really expect our leaders to fight back in such conflicts.
The recent movies like "Olympus Has Fallen" has cool action scenes, but the acting leaves a lot to be desired. Even now, Harrison looks the part.

The soundfield isn't as good as the latest releases, but it does quite well and stands up to the test of time. Recommended as a rental at least or if you like the Die Hard genre or Harrison Ford, this is a keeper.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #468 on: July 03, 2017, 20:55 »
Went for a long trip and I had a chance to check out a few movies:

Gifted:
Chris Evans aka Captain America sheds mask and shield to take on a more emotional role that shows off more of his acting chops. Think of it as a modern Kramer vs Kramer Lite.. not bad and worth a rental at least. No really effects.

Kung Fu Yoga:
So is that what an older and less energetic Jackie Chan does when he tries to replicate his big hit Armor of God? It's not bad, and there is genuine chemistry in this cross cultural treasure hunt. But if one is expecting breakneck pacing and action, then this is not for you.
But if you are looking for some classic slapstick plus some really nice/hot eye candy thrown in, you get two Indian superstars, plus one very flexible and hot Chinese actress who is skill in Yoga too.
Disha Patani is a really dish...

Kong: Skull Island

A remake or a reboot? Well for action fans, this is not important and you get plenty of action, thrills and spills, copious use of bass. The plot is not too bad, and tries it's best to look original despite the many previous iterations. Worth a rental or a buy when it comes onto UHD.

Rogue One:
I had to skip this as I was busy and it's a nice movie, but for those who have not seen it, it's very important to go in without the baggage of watching the other Star Wars hits. Think of it like a Dirty Dozen in space instead. Nice plot, pacing and chemistry. Pity we can't see more of Felicity Jones. A buy for fans and also action demo hits.

XXX Return Of the Xandar:

For a real no brainer, forget Kong, this is a movie where the plot is a mere excuse to move from one action piece to another. Bombs, babes and blasts in a Bond wannabe movie. Not bad, but one will buy the disc for it's demo worthy action scenes more than the story.

Resident Evil Final Chapter:

The boom fest continues with this. The plot is thin than almost any other resident evil instalment or most other zombie movies, but if you have already invested time watching the rest, you might as well finish it. At least, it rewards you with plenty of action but I don't know if UHD will be kind, as our Zombie Action Queen, Ms Milla Jov has certainly aged.. rent or buy for a low price during the Good Friday sales and complete that collection.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #469 on: July 03, 2017, 21:02 »
Chips - movie review

In the 70s, you had two buddy cop TV shows that captured the audiences for many years: Starsky and Hutch, which became a semi-hit a few years back, and the motorbike equivalent: Chips.

So Dax Shepard decides that he should do the remake and promptly decides to be one of the leads too. Micheal Pena is his partner and he is usually a reliable character actor, but they can't really save this. There is plenty of action, some humor, mostly of the sexual innuendo sort and a few more that would have made Jim Carrey blush. That kind of sums up the movie and unless you are a true blue Chips fan, and the disc is cheap, I would stay away. In fact if you Are a Chips fan, you will want to avoid this to blemish the memory.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #470 on: July 25, 2017, 22:42 »
Another day with the DSU, and DTS-X, and I took out a disc from the not too distant past: Get The Gringo

A relatively simple plot, with a fish out of water concept, but set within a Mexican prison, Mel is a man with skills and a loot to find. There's action, humor, both served with latte and bitter black noir style. Mel shows some of the form that brought him fame in the past, and the supporting cast do well too.

But the sound is where the money is. Watched on a BR disc with DTS-X upmixing of the sound, it was a nice way to spend an evening.

I am not too sure who did the mix, but this movie that brought a second wind to Mr Gibson's career also gave it a very nice sound mix. It's one of those 'only' 5.1 DTS-MA mixes, but the scenes within the Mexican prison lends itself to a very claustrophobic mix, and you are able to utilise all the channels, both at the base surround level, and the soundstage extends itself nicely to the heights too.

The dialogue is crystal clear, and when the proverbial stuff hits the fan, well so does the sonic envelop. You get some nice gunfights, in the middle when the hitmen come for Mel, and later on in the final showdown. A very satisfying application of the DTS-X onto a 5.1 track.
Recommended, and although Mel messed up in the past, he can still be a solid actor, and I wish him well on his road to recovery and hope to see more good shows from him, both in front and behind the camera.

Recommended

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #471 on: September 14, 2017, 17:56 »

Went through a bunch of discs recently:

50-1
Hollywood loves movies that depict the down and out commoner fighting against the odds, and in this case, it's literal, with the story about a horse that wins against the odds. The execution is poor and this is no Seabiscuit or Secretariat
- rent

The Walk
Watch this just for the last 20 mins, and use a big screen. It will cure you if you are afraid of heights. The plot isn't much, but the value comes in the true story factor, and well, the walk across the Twin Towers.
- rent or buy if you are a Zemeckis fan.

The Shallows
- hot chick in a swimsuit versus CGI shark. Not a bad flick for an hour and a half or so. It's not Jaws and the shark isn't meant to be the main course. Instead, think of it as Castaway in 2 days plus 127 hours with a dose of Deep Blue Sea thrown in.
- worth a rental at least

The Intern
Robert De Niro trying to do funny and serious, but it hardly rises above the coma levels.. A poor execution with two great actors sleep walking their way through the thinnest of plots.
- Rent at your own risk

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #472 on: September 17, 2017, 05:52 »
October Sky

I enjoy quiet movies that give us a look into the lives of common people, the downtrodden who succeed despite the odds. It's a nice change from the blockbuster stuff and this movie about a young boy who pursues his dream of becoming a rocket scientist is well written, well acted and has a nice score. Jake Gyllenhaal plays this boy well, he was the same age and yet showed he could punch far above his age. His supporting cast including Chris Cooper did very well to complement him.
[/size]I recommend the movie and even though it's not an action movie you will enjoy the score and subtle surround cues. When rockets flies, your overhead speakers will get a solid workout too...[/color]

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #473 on: October 07, 2017, 20:17 »

The Shack – Movie Review

The plot hangs together well, although if the editors cut it a tad more, it will feel tighter. There are some very nice shots of the Canadian landscape and the tourist promotion board of BC will certainly be very grateful for the product placement.

All in all, recommended for a rental at least and for me, it's a buy.
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2017/10/the-shack-movie-review.html

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #474 on: October 19, 2017, 21:28 »
A few quick reviews:

Baywatch:

The reboot sees the prerequisite babes, bods and beach, with The Rock taking the lead, and a very pumped up Zac Affron, who is probably meant to attract the younger crowd. Add a few more fresh faces, a rough semblance of a plot that could have been pulled out of a Famous Five novel, spice it up with plenty of smut and foul language, and make sure the beautiful bodies are on full display and that's the movie.
Does it work, well somewhat.. it's worth a worth, especially if the above items appeal to you, but rent first, and see how you feel.

The Mummy

Tom Cruise tries his hand at a fusion of Indiana Jones, with some Dirk Pitt thrown in, and it's spun into a Mummy based plot with elements of Jekyll vs Hyde and some elements of a superhero seasoning on top.
Does it work?
Well... it's a rental.. at best I am afraid. It's a case of not bad, but just not.. not funny enough, not actioned packed enough, and the delivery, chemistry are nice but just not too great when benchmarked against the material from which it copied from.

Certainly the surround action will please and be a good demo track, so one can consider buying it on Black Friday. Otherwise rent first and decide.

Megan Leavey

I wasn't sure what to expect when I heard about this show. Initially I thought it was a war movie, with a war dog thrown in, but it was more about the emotional ride of someone who was caught in a tough situation in Iraq, came through, but not unscathed, and the war dog was part of the story and also part of her recovery.
Those expecting firefight after firefight will be sorely disappointed. It's more of a drama with a war background. Good for those who like the emo ride sort of show.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #475 on: October 29, 2017, 00:52 »
Another bunch of quick comments:

Alien : Convenant

This is like "A Series Of Unfortunate Events In Space"...
There's an eagerness to skip the metaphysical, philosophical style established in it's precedent, and instead move back to the shock and scare mode used in Episode I. However the plot suffers as we move from one poorly timed event to the next. It's almost like the director said, "ok, I shall give you 20 minutes or so to go slow-mo, then let's skip the plot and move onto the scare tactics."
For Alien fans, it's worth a rental, likewise for demo and surround fans.

The King's Case Note
This Korean Sherlock sort of show does enough to engage you cerebrally and peppers it with sufficient humor and intrigue to keep you interested for a rental.

Pirates: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Enough action and just about sufficient humor to keep Pirate Franchise fans happy, and brings it to a conclusion. Rental at best, unless you are a action or demo fan.

Shockwave
A Hong Kong action thriller. Andy Lau is a demolitions bomb squad cop, and he is pitted against a vengeful criminal who not only wants to seek revenge, but also get rich at the same time. Think "Speed" mated with "Daylight" plus some sprinkling of "Blown Away" and "Inside Man".
A bit on the long side, but interesting enough to keep action fans interested. Worth a rental at least.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #476 on: December 13, 2017, 20:28 »

Short reviews : Dark Tower, Baby Boss, The Finest Hour, Valerian and Cars 3

Another series of flights and some quick notes

I saw a brace of shows with ideas and concepts not dissimilar to earlier works, here we see a triumph of CGI and technology over a lynchpin or pillar of a good movie - the plot.

Baby boss

Not bad and it follows the tried and tested mix of humor with some adult sensitivity but this movie about sibling rivalry and a subplot of conspiracy doesn't hit the same highs as the other older big cartoon hits.

Valerian

You must admire Luc Besson for his imagination and creativity but when you compare this space adventure to his earlier Fifth Element, it doesn't not hit the spot. The plot moves along too quickly makes too many assumptions on what the audience knows or needs to know before stepping into the movie.

Dark Tower

A story about good versus evil and there's plenty of potential but again the production values are great but a credible storyline is lacking. The good guy has a puny pistol and a young apprentice and he is expected to face overwhelming odds. How he overcomes it is a major plot hole and disappointment.

Cars 3

Well essentially it's the same plot as the original so it's better than the middle sequel but not as great as the first. Which isn't saying much.

So was everything only so so?

Well there was one good yarn and it was something I didn't have much expectation of actually. Thinking along the lines of a recent Coen Brothers comedy called Hail Caesar, I figured this to be a British facsimile of it.
Instead it was a sly comedy and a heart felt romance set as a making of a propaganda movie during WWII under difficult circumstances.
Definitely worth a watch

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #477 on: December 28, 2017, 21:23 »

Get Out – Movie Review

Once in a while, you get a new movie, directed by a someone who is just venturing out, and his first effort really hits the spot.

This is Jordan Peele’s directorial debut, but you never get a sense that he has not been around for a while. On a budget more skimpy than Halle Barry’s Perle, he has manufactured a solid thriller, and that’s coming from someone who is not that fond of shock and horror movies.

It’s part Sidney Poiter’s In the Heat of the Night, mixed in with some Saw and Stepford Wives, but it feels very original, as it deals with a young black man going to meet his white girlfriend’s parents and the extended family. Things gradually begin to get creepy and feel strange as his girlfriend’s family are not really what they appear to be. He soon has to use all his wit to get out, and that’s what the plot is basically about.

It has some racial apartheid kind of humor mixed in with the strangeness and the levity it lends adds to the flow nicely. The lead is a new actor too, but after you watch him, you soon realized why he was chosen to be the lead for the Marvel adventure Panther.

The editing is tight, the action, shock and horror are all nicely timed. Rest assured, there is no gore, but you get enough scary scenes to keep you gripping the armrests of your seats.

Together the cast work well to weave the story, and the length is just right.

For home theatre fans, this is a real keeper. Even with ‘only’ 5.1 DTS-MA on the Blu Ray, it’s amazing. If you bought the UHD, you will get a full sonic workout from the DTS-X soundtrack. Every creak, ambient sound in the home plays a role, and the sound helps to build up the tension. Fantastic.

3.5/5 for the movie. 4.5/5 for the sound and disc.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #478 on: April 16, 2018, 21:22 »
Wonderful Thai movie, with a time travel element, but builds on it with a theme of family, love and relationships, plus the idea of getting old.
Recommended.

http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/04/suddenly-twenty-movie-review.html
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bMMVyTauB-Q]http://youtu.be/bMMVyTauB-Q[/url]&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bMMVyTauB-Q]http://youtu.be/bMMVyTauB-Q[/url]&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 21:28 by petetherock »

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #479 on: April 19, 2018, 23:41 »
The 13th Warrior:

It has been more than 20 years since the theatrical release of this movie and every now and then, I will take my DVD out of it's box for another viewing. Each time, I still wonder why it was not a box office hit (it costs thrice or four times what it made)..

It's a Micheal Crichton book adaption, done on a challenge as to whether he could make an interesting story out of a folklore tale of the Beowolf. He does spin a marvellous yarn that incorporates the traditional folklore, along with elements of the "Dirty Dozen", and bit of culture mixup and good doses of action with lots of thrills and spills.

So a Muslim scholar type gets sent to Scandinavia and  ends up fighting man eating bear like creatures, fighting against the odds against evil. Antonio Banderas is wonderful as the scholar turned warrior, whilst Vladimir Kulich plays the charismatic leader of the baker's dozen to good effect.

If you haven't not seen it before, go ahead and grab that DVD, yeah, I said DVD, because sadly, there has yet to be a Blu Ray release. The surround effects are decent, real deep bass may be lacking, but the plot and the amount of male testosterone on display makes up for it. Bravado galore!

Recommended.

What an ending scene!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-e9bZD86s3g[color=rgb(17, 17, 17)][/color]&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-e9bZD86s3g[color=rgb(17, 17, 17)][/color]&fs=1</a>

My gear: