Author Topic: Movies you watched recently and felt strongly about  (Read 161979 times)

Offline koma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • im a bassnut.....
Re: Movies you watched recently and felt strongly about
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 11:34 »
the 1st show i watched johnny depp in and his acting has
nber disappointed me till now ;)

Juz watched Donnie Brasco, it may be an old movie. Well its good to me.

Plot : 3.5/5 (undercover that begin to understand whatz is real brotherhood and family bonding), (base on true story)
Action : 3/5 (cant say much but is decent in mafia-related movie)
Chick factor : zero (I cant recalled any anyway the movie does not need it)
Rent or Buy or forget it : BUY IT & Rewatch it (1 of the best movie displaying good or bad, being on the either side, you decide at the end of the show)

PJ - SONY RUBY VPL-VW100
AMP - DENON 3808
BD PLAYER - PIONEER BDP320
SPEAKERS - M&K S100B, M&K SUR55T, M&K SX7
SUBS - SVS PB12+/2, SVS PB13 ULTRA, SVS PB12 NSD, M&K MX150
POWER AMPS - LEXICON 312 & 212
POWER CONDTIONERS : RICHARD GRAY, HIFI TUNING,QUANTUM
EQ -  BFD DSP1124P, ELEMENTAL DESIGNS EQ2
CABLES - SYNERGISTIC RESERACH, BETTERCABLE
POWERCORDS : VAN DEN HUL, PS AUDIO, LESSLOSS, BETTERCABLE
MISC - WIREWORLD

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
The Golden Child
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2008, 10:04 »
Ok this is quite old, but I recently acquired the DVD...

This is Eddie Murhpy at his prime, around the time of his Beverly Hills Cop time, and he is at his cocky, witty fast talking best. The plot isn't too clear, but throw in loads of funny one-liners, some decent action and a hot babe, and we are off!

Plot: not the best but even 22 years after, IMO it's still engaging. 3/5

Action: Don't look for deep bass etc, and the CGI has aged. Think along the lines of Conan, Clash of the Titans type of animation and you will be right. 3/5

Chick Factor: Charlotte Lewis rocks! 4.5/5

Buy / Rent / Forget it: I like this, Happy to own it and take it out for a 80s Eddie Murphy night!

Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline Summer Jazz

• Just enjoy the music

Offline Summer Jazz

• Just enjoy the music
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 09:26 »
This one is also a nice comedy, been trying to get this DVD locally. Wonder when TV5 will air this -

http://www.amazon.com/Tin-Men-Richard-Dreyfuss/dp/B00005T7HW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1215912143&sr=1-1

Offline chickenchops

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 09:27 »
the 1st show i watched johnny depp in and his acting has
nber disappointed me till now ;)

just watched this as well and i'm keeping it, superb acting all around... i don't think anyone will ever tire of pacino playing these roles, he's such a natural

Offline petetherock

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 23:57 »
In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
First the two nice things I can say:

The scenery was great and secondly the CGI was not too shabby.

But it seems the crew simply went to British Columbia, Canada, borrowed all the stuff from LOTR, added some CGI and hoped the mixture would work...

Sadly it doesn't.

It rated amongst the all time worst movies and it rightly deserves so. The plot has more holes than a sieve. Asking Jason Statham to act is like asking him to give birth, and Burt Reynolds didn't do much better. They borrowed so much from LOTR that you wonder if this was part of the series. The Krugs in it look like the orcs, the battle scenes resemble the battle at Deep Helm and Ray Liotta just doesn't cut it as a villian.

Plot: 1/5

Action: The DVD was flat with little dynamics, and the battle scenes although well constructed, seemed too similar to the other movies. 2.5/5

Chick Factor: Ok, so Claire Forlani is hot, and Leelee Sobieski isn't too bad, but its hard to focus on them with so much crap going on. 3.5/5

Rent it if you must.... wait it works well if you want to make another movie look better....

My gear:

Offline Summer Jazz

• Just enjoy the music
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 09:13 »
This is an exciting TV movie directed by the young Steven Spielberg

http://www.amazon.com/Duel-Collectors-Dennis-Weaver/dp/B000063UR5/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1216084220&sr=8-1

Really keeping u at the edge of the seat.

Offline armoury

• The lunatic is on the grass...
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 14:08 »
Actually i prefer this one (also by Eddie Murhpy) -

http://www.amazon.com/Trading-Special-Collectors-Denholm-Elliott/dp/B000O59A16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1215911961&sr=1-1

IIRC this is the movie that made Eddie Murphy a movie star; the later Coming To America cemented his place in the A list.

I just loved the part where the Dukes are explaining commodities to him, he looks at each one in turn, completely dead-pan, then finally just looks straight into the camera, again dead-pan.  For some reason, it's side-splitting hilarious.
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline Summer Jazz

• Just enjoy the music
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2008, 15:13 »
IIRC this is the movie that made Eddie Murphy a movie star; the later Coming To America cemented his place in the A list.

I just loved the part where the Dukes are explaining commodities to him, he looks at each one in turn, completely dead-pan, then finally just looks straight into the camera, again dead-pan.  For some reason, it's side-splitting hilarious.

The part i liked best was when the Dukes agreed on a bet. One of them asked the other guy what is the amount. He simply replied the usual amount.
When i get to the final part, the exact amount made me laugh out loud.

Offline Speedsun

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2008, 08:57 »

Vantage Point-BluRay Version

Video-Solid Video Transfer ..Everything is simply breathtaking 4/5
Audio- Bass Heavy tracks thru out the whole movie.TrueHd audio track rocks! 4.5/5
Plot-Its about a group of ppl ard the scene of the assasination of the American President and attempt to track out the actual killer. Dennis Quaid Stars in this triller. 3.5/5
Action-Top Notch Action with lots of twist! Bang Bang!! Boom Boom!! 4/5
Underwear Expanding Factor-Erm....None for me.....2/5
Rent or Buy-BUY BUY BUY for a solid Demo session

Point Break-BluRay Version

Video-Its a 1991 Movie so there lots of Grainy Video thru out but color and details still can consider Good 3/5
Audio-DTS MA track didnt impressive much....3/5
Plot-A new bird FBI agent Johnny Utah trying to unsolve the famous "American Presidents Bank Robbers" case which he suspect they are surfers  3/5
Action-Dead pan face Keanu Reeves and Goldie lock Patrick Swayze stars in this action flick...The whole movie i jus enjoy watching the surfing scenes....action scenes didnt impressive much.... 3/5
Underwear Expanding Factor-There is some "Raisin" Exposes Scenes and Keanu Reeves Love making scene....But again the "Manly Looking" chicks didnt brighten up any part of the movie....3/5
Rent or Buy-I think Rent for a "Passtime" weekend better...

Offline petetherock

Invincible
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2008, 13:57 »
Invincible

Mark Wahlberg as a 70s bar tender who makes it good for the Philadelphia Eagles is a by the book sports story with enough elements of good acting, and well filmed and authentic scenes of Phil. to make it a decent rental.

Plot: quite similar to Rookie, (old guy makes it) but nevertheless, still enjoyable.

Action: not much, and there isn't a lot of bass or surround effects.

Chick factor: 2.5 / 5

I reckon this is at least good for a rental (I bought mine)

My gear:

Offline Grunt

• Here we go!
Movies you watched recently and felt strongly about
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2008, 09:44 »
his is an old one starring Mark Harmon and Jodie Foster.  I loved it after watching it years after its release.  "Stealing Home" is a simplistic 1988 movie abt chances gone by and a man (washed out baseball player) trying to return to his roots and find redemption in his growing ups years.  Heartwarming and funny in parts.  The soundtrack is good with David Foster helming.  Worth a view at the very least.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 09:46 by Grunt »
Live and let live folks!

Offline Speedsun

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 10:44 »
It been a Christian Bale Movietimes for me this August.This Welsh born guy is simply Great Actor!   ;D

The Equilibrium (DVD)

Plot-Set in a futuristic world where everyone is suppose to inject Prozium, a mind-altering drug that suppress emotion and feelings if not obey the punishment is Death. Bale (John Preston) is a top cleric that out to destroy anyone that resist.But one day he stop injecting Prozium into his body and thus he start to appreciate the "feel"  ;D
Action-Lots of Matrix style Action  ;D
Underwear expanding factor-Erm None :P
Rent or Buy-I think its a worthy Christian Bale Movie Collection  ;)

The Harsh Times (DVD)

Plot-Bale is Jim Luther a Ex ranger trying to get a job in LAPD so he can married his girlfriend from Mexico and bring her over to the states . He meet up with his best friend and together he find trills in doing petty crimes...The word F..k was mentioned more than 200 over times . :o
Action-There some Gun fights actions  ;)  ;)
Underwear expanding factor-Woah lots of sexy mexican chicks and did i mention Eva Longoria is HOT!  :o
Rent or Buy-BUY if you are a Bale's Fan  :D

The Machinist (DVD)

Plot-A lowly industrial worker who havent sleep for more than a year and thus develop hallucinations, and his perception of reality becomes twisted.Damn Bale is really scary looking in this flick. A Bale you never see before :o
Action-Not really a action flick tho... :P
Underwear expanding factor-Jennifer Jason leigh is a hot call girl in this flick  :D
Rent or Buy-Another worthy Bale 's Movie collection.  ;D

The American Psycho (DVD)

Plot-Bale is Patrick Bateman a wealthy Investment banker that kill who thrills.
Action-Lots of Bale insane doings !!! Simply horrific !!!  :o
Underwear expanding factor-Yeah catch it ~  ;)  ;D
Rent or Buy-BUY BUY BUY~!  ;) A must have Bale's Movie collection  ;D

Rescue Dawn (BluRay)

Video-The first 15mins of the movie give a vintage video quality but after that the movie's 1080p transfer quality comes alive! Video quality is rather sharp and clear.The beautiful scenary of Laos' wild jungle is breathtaking  :D
Audio-DTS MA never fail to impress~lots of jungle surrond effect  :D
Plot-Based on a true story on Dieter Dengler an american war pilot that crash landed on Laos where he was being captured and tortured with a few others POWs.  :o
Action-Dieter (Bale) trying to escape from his torturers and fighting to survive in the thick jungle of laos .
Underwear expanding factor-Zero!  :P
Rent or Buy-i think this is a good Bale's movies collection.BUY!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:51 by Speedsun »

Offline petetherock

Enchanted
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2008, 22:48 »
Enchanted

Watched this courtesy of a kind bro who lent it to me, it seems like a publicity vehicle for Patrick Dempsey's stellar rise from Grey's Anatomy and it is designed to portray him as the dream lover..

A slight twist on the usual happy ever after fairy tale, but it is still quite by the books and gets by if you have kids to entertain or an ultra-romantic partner starved of other such movies... 2/5

Chick factor - the girl they used for Giselle isn't that hot and Patrick Dempsey's fiance is rather old too 2/5

Action: a few bassy scenes but there isn't a lot of action and little surround effect to write home about

Rent// buy / forget it: as said, good for a rental when other options are exhuasted, a feel good movie for those fans of McDreamy...

My gear:

Offline blackburn

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2008, 23:39 »
amy adams is absolutely drop dead gorgeous and i was enchanted by her performance in the movie ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal