Author Topic: Movies you watched recently and felt strongly about  (Read 161973 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Re: Movies you watched recently and felt strongly about
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 20:58 »
For the Love of the Game

Its been a while, but this one caught me by surprise on how much feel good factor I could get out of a Kevin Costner movie.

Its quite by the book, throw in a baseball game (Costner's third movie on this), add the human factor and some romance, and pile on the perfect game and you have the recipe for a nice movie.

Plot: its simple, using flashbacks to good effect, with a decent supporting cast working well together, and decent chemistry between the actors. Kelly Preston still looks fine and gives a good account of herself. 4/5

Action: this mainly a talkie, and the baseball scenes add some excitement, but its no Die Hard 3/5

Chick Factor: grand dame Kelly Preston is fine wine and I would be happy to seen on a date with her 3.5 / 5

Rent Buy or forget it: I went ahead and got the HD DVD of this show, enough said.

Made before Spiderman, Sam Raimi proves to be a diverse talent producing such efforts in between the bubble gum comic book productions. 4/5
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline snip3r

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 20:59 »
Jumper

Another movie of little value or entertainment I saw on the way home...
"darth vader" out of his role is pretty good as a spoilt brat with the ability to jump space, like the guy with the tail from X men. But that chap has much more character and charisma.

Here I actually wished the jumper would get caught. His British friend's accent sound more like a Singaporean pretending to have studied in Oxford too. Obviously he steals and doesn't use it for good, and Samuel Jackson looks like he sleep-walked through a role he had to do to pay the bills. And he looks like a fish out of the water without muttering M...F... every few seconds or having snakes coming out of his pants.

Plot -- zzz 1.5/5 even though the concept could have been pretty good
Action -- 2.5 / 5 again potential wasted
Chick factor - not bad, but just eye candy and no character development 3/5
Rent buy or forget it -- forget it

I was giving "the young Darth Vader" another chance but after watching I was cursing and swearing. I was prepared to watch Awake also starring the same actor and decided to skip it.  >:(

Offline petetherock

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 21:44 »
The Condemned

MTV meets WWF meets Survivor meets Lost, throw in a few muscle men, a couple of eye candy sorts and add the WWF sanctioned hero. Mix in lots of action, explosions and killing. Add gore and blood generously. Stir in up in close quarter filming, high definition filming and decent sound engineering. Viola! A hit!

Plot: actually it works better than a few other similar WWF efforts. This is still better than Marine and the idea of a longer ranger fighting off the bad guys and surviving til the end to return to the weeping obligatory chick seems almost believable. Of course the SAS chappie loses to the ex Delta Force guy, and the bad buy get its in the end. Jerry Bruckheimer couldn't do better. 3.5/5

Action: heaps of it, and the DD EX soundtrack or lossless Blu Ray is of reference quality. 4/5

Chick factor: ok there is a bit of eye candy, but somehow the gore makes looking at the ladies difficult 3.5/5

I would say this is a decent rental at least and if you don't mind the gore, the explosions are good for a demo.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 21:45 »
Shinobi

Anyone for Ninja movies?
Actually this one is more than the usual chop chop flick. There is an element of a Romeo and Juliet story, mixed with anime bits and decent fighting scenes. Those who follow Japanese Manga will appreciate the details put into this production and those who are looking for a window into Japanese action movies can do a lot worse.

Plot : classic boy meets girl who belongs to the enemy plus showdown at Ok Corral with mystical Ninja powers mixed into a story which is pretty well edited. 4/5

Action: not the Jet Li stuff and there is CGI, but nonetheless a commendable effort 3.5/5

Chick factor: the fair porcelein smooth complexion of the typical Japanese lady does it for me 4/5

Rent buy or forget it: The BR version comes with a Tru HD soundtrack and the colors of autumn blaze out of your screen. For 11 USD from amazon, you can easily own this and decide if this genre is your thing.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 08:23 »
30 Days of Night

Plot: Classic theme, killers (vampires in this cases) preying on a bunch of trapped people, and they slowly die off. How they beat the vampires and survive is the usual stroy. The twist is that the towns remains dark for 30 full days. 3/5

Action: the usual shocks are there, but the final confrontation is novel, and the Blu Ray disc is a fine demo piece, with lots of ambient sounds and awesome bass. It confirms my suspicion that many times, the best test of a good HT system is in the use of surrounds coupled with a few good bass scenes from the soundtrack rather than explosion. 4/5

Chick factor: not great with just one fire marshal 2.5/5

Rent buy or forget it: at least a rental for the bass scenes

Sunshine

Plot: Another Solaris meets Oddessy 2001 kind of show, with a plot akin to the Core and even Armageddon. But how they put the suspense together is not bad. 3.5/5

Action: Its more of a thriller and you enjoy the good use of bass in the moments of suspense to heighten the mood 3/5

Chick factor - poor 1.5/5

Rent buy or forget it: worth a rental for good plot design and the bass demo scenes.

My gear:

Offline Speedsun

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 08:54 »
30 Days of Night

Plot: Classic theme, killers (vampires in this cases) preying on a bunch of trapped people, and they slowly die off. How they beat the vampires and survive is the usual stroy. The twist is that the towns remains dark for 30 full days. 3/5

Action: the usual shocks are there, but the final confrontation is novel, and the Blu Ray disc is a fine demo piece, with lots of ambient sounds and awesome bass. It confirms my suspicion that many times, the best test of a good HT system is in the use of surrounds coupled with a few good bass scenes from the soundtrack rather than explosion. 4/5

Chick factor: not great with just one fire marshal 2.5/5

Rent buy or forget it: at least a rental for the bass scenes

Sunshine

Plot: Another Solaris meets Oddessy 2001 kind of show, with a plot akin to the Core and even Armageddon. But how they put the suspense together is not bad. 3.5/5

Action: Its more of a thriller and you enjoy the good use of bass in the moments of suspense to heighten the mood 3/5

Chick factor - poor 1.5/5

Rent buy or forget it: worth a rental for good plot design and the bass demo scenes.

Regarding Sunshine (BluRay version)...

Never expect the Sun look so beautiful up close ;)...the Chick factor i must agree is Weak :P...Chris Evans of Fantastic four fame was reali good for his role ...Lots of suspense and reali beautiful CG....DTS MA soundtrack was so-so if u ask me only Bass is Fierce...The Golden Spacesuit reminded me of that Gundam robot with the one eye in the middle somehow...The whole movie feel like Apollo 13 if u watch it.....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 14:17 by Speedsun »

Offline petetherock

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 12:52 »
Speed, you may not want to give away the endings or change the color or add spoiler ahead as is the convention....

My gear:

Offline Speedsun

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 13:34 »
Speed, you may not want to give away the endings or change the color or add spoiler ahead as is the convention....

:-X :-X oops sorry i say too much.  ;D

Offline petetherock

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 14:09 »
Bro, then you wish to make amends.... and do the warning or change the color right?

:-X :-X oops sorry i say too much.  ;D

My gear:

Offline Speedsun

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 14:17 »
done?

Offline petetherock

Operation undercover
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 23:55 »
AKA "Wo Hu"

You might say, its just another HKG Cops and gangs movie, but some clever acting by Eric Tsang and Francis Ng elevate this movie from the prosiac to something worth watching.

Plot: The pace can be uneven, but good acting by most of the cast give it a decent plot. 3.5/5

Action: This is mainly a talkie drama 2.5/5

Chick Factor: not much 1/5

There is plenty of demo material in the clever use of the surround channels, and this elevates it to something I would watch and keep, even though I had a R6 disc, the production was quite nice.

PS: DO NOT watch the sequel, utter rubbish...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:32 by petetherock »

My gear:

Offline xiao_vin

• Somebody's poisoned the waterhole!
    • http://www.rzm.com/pvt.ryan/main/medpvtlogo.jpg
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 14:28 »
Definitely, Maybe

This is a quite a twist on the romance bit and leads you through a few twists and turns the protagonist's life. I half wanted to dislike it for the amorous and almost free-love nature of the sleeping about bit, with scant regard for the institution of marriage, but this is reflective of America and perhaps other societies too. The lead actors and even the daugther Maya, do very well, with good synergy to weave a story that is part fiction and all life. Clever flashbacks and painting it as a story remind me of the technique employed in Princess Bride, but this is more dark and it isn't an action movie.

Plot: good chick flick I guess, but it will definitely lead to lots of discussion if you bring your partner, or you can quietly watch it on a plane and deny all knowledge of it if you are the red-neck bloke.. or feel free to share your thoughts with another lady --- 4/5

Action - zip

Chick Factor - plenty of eye candyIsla Fisher is a mix of innocent sweet and overpowering sensuality -- 4/5

Rent or Buy or forget it: depends on your stand on morals, and whether you have objections to romantic flicks, but worth a rent at least.  4/5

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb5T0gcHZBg&feature=related[/youtube]

This is one of my favourite movie of the year

Offline Fred

• M&K SOUND
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 11:30 »
The Condemned

MTV meets WWF meets Survivor meets Lost, throw in a few muscle men, a couple of eye candy sorts and add the WWF sanctioned hero. Mix in lots of action, explosions and killing. Add gore and blood generously. Stir in up in close quarter filming, high definition filming and decent sound engineering. Viola! A hit!

US version of `Battle Royale' (Japanese Movie) :)

Offline Speedsun

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 12:16 »
Juz watched Donnie Brasco, it may be an old movie. Well its good to me.

Plot : 3.5/5 (undercover that begin to understand whatz is real brotherhood and family bonding), (base on true story)
Action : 3/5 (cant say much but is decent in mafia-related movie)
Chick factor : zero (I cant recalled any anyway the movie does not need it)
Rent or Buy or forget it : BUY IT & Rewatch it (1 of the best movie displaying good or bad, being on the either side, you decide at the end of the show)

Johnny Depp was good but Al Pacino acting was best!

Offline Speedsun

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 09:17 »
Juz watched First Knight (BluRay Version), it may be a 1995 movie the transfer still look good but with some flaws... Truehd soundtrack is not too bad too ;)

Plot : 3/5 Lancelot(Richard Gere) a loner who wonder ard the world but fell in love with a woman who is gonna marry king arthur(James Bond Sean Connery)
Action : 3/5 (cant say much but is decent for a medival times movie)
Chick factor : 2.5/5 (Julia Ormond the only chick)
Rent or Buy or forget it : Buy it if u r a Sean Connery (oldie but goldie) or Richard Gere (Damn tis guy is sexy) Fans....Rent it if u r looking for a short weekend enjoyment.... ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal