Author Topic: Ripping DVDs into NAS and using PS3 to watch - Questions  (Read 1295 times)

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
Hi Friends,

I would like to seek your advise on PS3 streaming and NAS. I am intending to get a NAS to pair with PS3 and am looking to rip DVDs into the NAS.

So far the issue I encounter is that when I use DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink, there are multiple files created (vob, ifo etc) and does not feel right with I watch via PS3. Also I cannot use chapter forward button anymore. Also when I tried to rip into a single large VOB file, PS3 would not play the file anymore. Just to note that the files are burnt into my notebook HDD and not into PS3 HDD or NAS (which I have not buy). I am using my notebook as a server first to ensure that what I like to do can be done.

Other thing I noticed that the audio is stereo and not 5.1. Is this the limitation of wireless streaming from my notebook to my PS3? Do I need to upgrade my wireless router to N because mine is Linksys G only?

Eventually what I hope to achieve is to have my DVDs in the NAS and I will use my PS3 to play the DVDs. I also hope to be able to use chapter forward, forward & chapter menu functions. Not sure am I asking too much from a NAS/PS3 combi.   

Thanks!
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline psylance

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ripping DVDs into NAS and using PS3 to watch - Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 14:51 »
Regarding the wireless portion, i believe G is not enough to stream the video and 5.1 together concurrently.

Offline kardtoon

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 23:08 »
This is subjective and depends on the house layout. I had no problems with 5.1 and video but then my router was in the next room...

Offline epi_curean

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 13:10 »
I have done this using Tversity and the Xbox360 (probably the same for PS3) to stream movies ripped. If playing at highest resolution of 1080p, the video may be slightly jerky if you are using wireless G. Lan connection is the best bet.

Offline bong

• delicious vinyl
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 13:42 »

So far the issue I encounter is that when I use DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink, there are multiple files created (vob, ifo etc) and does not feel right with I watch via PS3. Also I cannot use chapter forward button anymore. Also when I tried to rip into a single large VOB file, PS3 would not play the file anymore. Just to note that the files are burnt into my notebook HDD and not into PS3 HDD or NAS (which I have not buy). I am using my notebook as a server first to ensure that what I like to do can be done.

bro, this might be the answer that you were looking for. It's a person trying to do exactly the same, using DVD Shrink to rip out movie files to stream and play in his PS3. The specific fix that you were looking for involves changing the extension of the VOB file that the main feature is in to a .mpeg extension that PS3 can recognise and play. Apparently you have to do this in a terminal environment and not within windows explorer.

Also, i've managed to stream via tversity a file with a DVD source/5.1 over a wireless network to my PS3 and it played without any problem. not too sure about HD content though.

Hope this helps!
.my salvation.
kab technics sl-1200mkII/AT33PTG/achromat . philips dvd963sa (modded analogue stage) as cdp . pioneer tx-410 stereo tuner
trichord dino phono preamp + dino ncpsu . astintrew at2000+ integrated amp
alr-jordan note 3

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 21:51 »
Thanks Bro...I have got myself a Popcorn Hour as PS3 is not ideal for DVD jukebox duties.
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline bong

• delicious vinyl
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 21:53 »
Thanks Bro...I have got myself a Popcorn Hour as PS3 is not ideal for DVD jukebox duties.

oh ... i was thinking of doing that as well. but spotted a MO for the HDX NMT and went for that as well.  ;D all the best!
.my salvation.
kab technics sl-1200mkII/AT33PTG/achromat . philips dvd963sa (modded analogue stage) as cdp . pioneer tx-410 stereo tuner
trichord dino phono preamp + dino ncpsu . astintrew at2000+ integrated amp
alr-jordan note 3