Author Topic: Audio Research Gear Thread  (Read 221043 times)

Online Rachael

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Audio Research Gear Thread
« Reply #945 on: October 23, 2019, 13:31 »
I have not gone back to ARC for rolling of tubes and been working fine for me and if not better especially NOS tubes.

Thanks Mousike, those fitted in my ARC preamp labeled Sovtek 6H30EB, saw there is this EH gold pin 6H30, do u have experience with EH gold pin 6H30? Read EH gold pin has warmer sq n seems fuller bass over Sovtek, do u agree by your own experiences?

Thank you 😊

Offline mousike

« Reply #946 on: October 23, 2019, 13:36 »
Thanks Mousike, those fitted in my ARC preamp labeled Sovtek 6H30EB, saw there is this EH gold pin 6H30, do u have experience with EH gold pin 6H30? Read EH gold pin has warmer sq n seems fuller bass over Sovtek, do u agree by your own experiences?

Thank you

Yes, but I don’t prefer it from stock. The change is marginal and subject to your taste. I would rather invest in NOS tube  e.g. 6550. That will give your real value.

Online Rachael

« Reply #947 on: October 23, 2019, 13:38 »
Yes, but I don’t prefer it from stock. The change is marginal and subject to your taste. I would rather invest in NOS tube  e.g. 6550. That will give your real value.

Noted, thanks again Mousike 👍

Online Rachael

« Reply #948 on: October 23, 2019, 17:29 »

Sorry, one more question, if NOS 6H30, I presumed is 6H30DR, I saw tubestore.com mentioned theirs were year 1990, then audiophetube.com mentioned theirs as 1980 manufacturing date, do u happen to have demo experiences on both versions?

Thank you

Offline mousike

« Reply #949 on: October 23, 2019, 18:00 »
Sorry, one more question, if NOS 6H30, I presumed is 6H30DR, I saw tubestore.com mentioned theirs were year 1990, then audiophetube.com mentioned theirs as 1980 manufacturing date, do u happen to have demo experiences on both versions?

Thank you
This I am not sure if I did because I did tried a few and realized it wasn’t worth my effort especially on 6H30. I did that some years back but I did eventually conclude that 6550 is the way to go for better experience particularly the NOS version. I hope that helps...

Online Rachael

« Reply #950 on: October 23, 2019, 20:13 »
This I am not sure if I did because I did tried a few and realized it wasn’t worth my effort especially on 6H30. I did that some years back but I did eventually conclude that 6550 is the way to go for better experience particularly the NOS version. I hope that helps...

I see, thanks for spending time sharing your experiences, it definitely helps in my decision. Thank you again 💪👍

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #951 on: Today at 06:59 »

6550 power rectifier tube? Or replacing 6H30 with 6550!?

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #952 on: Today at 07:01 »
I have actually heard a few systems with the DR tubes and they do have a warmer glow than the standard tubes but there are also a lot of counterfeit DR tubes which also cost a lot more. I burn through my tubes very quickly so I tend to just get the regular ones - I got matching sets from Cryoset last time.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #953 on: Today at 11:24 »
You may want to have a look at http://www.aca.gr/index/hiend/hiendArticles?row=1988

All sources I've checked with have told me that the Sovtek and EH are exactly the same tube from the Reflektor factory, save for the gold plated pins on the EH.

Personally, I don't think the cost of the DR super tubes could be justified in the ARC preamp, especially for the super rare early vintage ones.

The original 6550 used in the power supply was the Winged C but now that the factory has closed down, ARC has changed to new production ones.
Less is more !

Online Rachael

« Reply #954 on: Today at 12:43 »
Thank you DH n WD for your inputs 👍

May I also ask for your opinions on tube dampers?

Thank you