Author Topic: Apple IPOD owners thread - tips, info and comments  (Read 34594 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Apple IPOD owners thread - tips, info and comments
« on: February 16, 2008, 12:35 »
I am onto to my 2nd ipod soon, so I thought we can share our tips here for current and potential owners.

The bottom line for folks aiming to get high fidelity from their ipods - compression levels. If you keep a tiny file with lots of compression, using a fancy DAC, speakers etc defeats the purpose and cannot make up for lost info.

Some links:
(exchanging the HD)

- http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/features/technical-topics/how-to-replace-the-hard-drive-in-your-ipod.html

Ipod and hi fi:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=50688.0

petetherock - 80gb classic (soon) Gen5 with a Apple dock
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline Rollie Pollie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • If you listen very hard, it'll come to u at last
Re: Apple IPOD owners thread - tips, info and comments
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:55 »
The much hyped about WADIA for USD 349 bit-perfect CD transport.

Anyone doing a Mass Order for that? (A check with the WADIA website shows it's still very much AKAN DATANG)

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/wadia-digital-to-debut-itransport-digital-ipod-dock/12256

Quoted from the net
"My question is, why is Wadia (who we know makes some very expensive CD transports) only charging $349?    I almost thought it was a typo!  They claim "bit perfect" output from the iPod, and I just wonder why people would continue to spend the big $$$ on their transports if they can buy a 160GB iPod Classic for $349, fill it up with Lossless or WAV files, and then spend only another $349 to obtain a digital output to feed their dac.  This is all assuming that their iTransport's digital output is very good quality of course, but I'm sure Wadia has that covered!  Even if 160GB is not big enough, for $349 you can buy another iPod and put all your jazz in one, all your classical in another, etc.  It is still very convenient and also transportable (for headphone listening, in the car listening, etc.)"

« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 13:08 by Rollie Pollie »

Offline petetherock

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 13:41 »
Hi I thought the classic 80gb was $349, where can you get the 160g for that?

Anyway, why do so many levels of ADC DAC conversion?

My gear:

Offline Rollie Pollie

• If you listen very hard, it'll come to u at last
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 14:35 »
Not the iPOD.... The US$349 refers to the docking device lah... But then again, it's not really a DAC/ADC becos it draws digital signal directly from the iPOD,....more like a clocking/bit streaming device.

Offline petetherock

IMOD
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 07:51 »
Check this out:
http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html

iMod for 4th Generation iPods (monochrome and color displays)

We take the analog output (line out) signal off of the Wolfson DAC chip and send it directly to the internal 1/8" headphone jack (converting it into a dedicated line-out jack) via high-end Black Gate Non-Polarized NX-Hi-Q coupling capacitors. This completely bypasses all the components listed above that degrade the sound quality of the Wolfson DAC’s line-output.

NOTES regarding the 4th Generation iMod

The Red Wine Audio 4th Gen iMod converts the 1/8" headphone jack into a dedicated line-out jack (constant voltage output direct from the dac chip...no volume control), so the headphone output is disabled. The iMod is intended to be connected to either a high quality headphone amp w/ volume control or home stereo system, NOT directly to headphones (unless they have a built-in volume attenuator in the headphone cable).

While the stock audio line-out signal from the dock connector is also disabled, all other dock connector functionality remains in its stock form.

iMod for 5th Generation iPods (all 5G/5.5G models)

NEW! We take the analog output (line out) signal off of the Wolfson DAC chip and sent it directly to the dock connector pins. This completely bypasses all the components listed above that degrade the sound quality of the line-out of the Wolfson DAC. However, unlike the 4th Generation iMod, we are not able to fit the high-end Black Gate Non-Polorized NX-Hi-Q coupling capacitors inside of the5G/5.5G models. Luckily, we found a solution!

We have teamed up with ALO Audio, a highly-regarded cable manufacturer, to introduce the iMod Dock Cable. ALO has found a way to install the capacitors in the dock plug of the cable itself, thus it is required for use with the new iMod. You must purchase the cable separately

My gear:

Offline armoury

• The lunatic is on the grass...
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 15:18 »
Sigh, my iPod's dock is faulty, so it won't connect to my computer any longer, i.e. can't change songs etc. The official Apple service centre says they don't repair iPods, they just swap.  The guy did suggest I try Sim Lim: so any ideas where I could find an iPod repairman?  I'd like to give it a try, mainly because all the stuff ripped onto my iPod isn't backed up anywhere (doh!) so if I have to replace the iPod, I have to re-rip everything again...  :-[
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 17:18 »
just wanted to ask, would anybody happen to know where i still can get the ipod U2 special edition (photo)?
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline petetherock

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 18:20 »
You can remove the hard disk and back that up
See the link previously to remove the HD

Sigh, my iPod's dock is faulty, so it won't connect to my computer any longer, i.e. can't change songs etc. The official Apple service centre says they don't repair iPods, they just swap.  The guy did suggest I try Sim Lim: so any ideas where I could find an iPod repairman?  I'd like to give it a try, mainly because all the stuff ripped onto my iPod isn't backed up anywhere (doh!) so if I have to replace the iPod, I have to re-rip everything again...  :-[

My gear:

Offline kelso

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 14:21 »
I used to own a 4th gen RWA iMod (the wolfson dac is still the best) coupled to a Millett portable tube amp http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=1062
with an ALO six wire interconnect  :o Finally gave up because its really uncomfortable walking around with a big bulge in my trouser pocket  :-[
Waking up in the morning is the second hardest thing.

Offline yellowhandman

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 17:52 »

you never mentioned that last part to me...why isn't it on your computer?

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED! GO LAKERS! FORZA FERRARI!

Offline armoury

• The lunatic is on the grass...
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 23:12 »
You can remove the hard disk and back that up
See the link previously to remove the HD
I was wondering if that would work.  I take it after removing, it's a plain old HD, use a standard external HDD casing to connect it back to my Mac via USB and it should be read as if it were an iPod?

you never mentioned that last part to me...why isn't it on your computer?
Space constraints on the HD.  And silly me I never backed it up on an external.
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 23:40 »
It may NOT be read as an IPOD, but at least you can read it... we hope...

My gear:

Offline yellowhandman

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 01:27 »
I was wondering if that would work.  I take it after removing, it's a plain old HD, use a standard external HDD casing to connect it back to my Mac via USB and it should be read as if it were an iPod?

don't think so. i think itunes doesn't talk straight to the HDD...it talks to the ipod's circuitry. more importantly, there aren't external casings for the size of HDD used by the ipod.

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED! GO LAKERS! FORZA FERRARI!

Offline petetherock

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 07:16 »
You can take out the HD and pop it into another IPod casing....

My gear:

Offline varun

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 09:24 »
Try Mustafa. They always have old stuff lying around. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if their price is still the original price... in general, Mustafa's a lousy place to buy electronics, riding on a reputation for cheap and generally downmarket general merchandise.

- V.

just wanted to ask, would anybody happen to know where i still can get the ipod U2 special edition (photo)?
-no longer passionate about equipment; more interested in enjoying it-