Author Topic: Mark & Daniel: Sapphire & Mini  (Read 19278 times)

Offline Darthfunk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Da funk banana
Mark & Daniel: Sapphire & Mini
« on: February 12, 2008, 21:49 »
As requested by some bros, here are some pictures of my Mark & Daniel speakers.

Sapphire

Maximus Mini

Impressions of the Sapphire at bro francis place recently http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=50463.15

Reviews of the Sapphire and Maximus Mini on 6moons.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 22:06 by Darthfunk »

Offline Yeek

Re: Mark & Daniel: Sapphire & Mini
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 22:10 »
Finally dude!

Nice big sounds from nice small speaker cabinets!

Yeek

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 11:57 »
With so many establish bookshelfs speakers out there many had asked me why the M&D speakers? 

The answer is simple, non of the bookshelfs i have heard comes even close to the M&D. The M&D's Dreams Drivers (Heil Air Motion HF drivers) wide dispersion are crossed as low as 800Hz (900Hz for the Sapphire) which presents a huge, dynamic and deep stoungstage. Most bookshelfs crossovers are way higher, usually 2kHz to 4kHz which our ears are sensitive to distortion and especially phase. Mark & Daniel speakers are crossed over well below this range (a full octave), yielding a much more organic, cohesive sound presentation.

The Sapphires HF Dreams drivers covers from 900Hz to 25kHz, the SX woofers covers the LF from 900Hz all the way down to 45Hz.
Tested with an SPL meter, it has proven to go below 40Hz, which many of the bros whom have heard them for the first time always ask me "where is the subwoofer?" The bass is extremely tight and goes down very deep. It beats many of the floorstanders I have owned and non can produce that sort of bass you hear from the Sapphire.

It also has a huge WAF due to its good looks, colour (its white!) and size. My wife loves it not for its looks but for how it can sing. You see my wife have always been very critical of all my previous speakers due to her experience with live recordings. Her ears are extremely sensitive and can hear higher frequency range than many others (including me!). Her first comment when she heard the speakers "its very clear, i can hear the singers saliva". I didnt even notice it till she pointed it out to me, i was surprise with her comments as she had never ever complemented any of my speakers.

For her to give that comment for the very first time gave me an assurance that this little gem was worth every penny spent. Music reproduction seems so real and live with the Sapphire. Its sheer clarity, the crisp vocals of the mid range and the deep tight bass on the Sapphire makes music sound so alive. Be it slow or a fast track it has the agility, speed and aggressiveness to replicate what a track suppose to sound like. Music never sound so enjoyable ever since i got the M&D.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 12:23 by Darthfunk »

francis woo

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 12:28 »
Great.  So when is the next shoot out.  I have added a Xindak DAC 5 to the MHZ and sound improves a notch.  Very airy and greater sound stage now....... ;)

Offline kelso

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 13:41 »
Francis ah try tube rolling on the MHZS la  ;)

(sorry to TS for ot also  :-[ , just wanted to add can try GE 5751 , 3 mica plates ones if can find)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 14:18 by kelso »
Waking up in the morning is the second hardest thing.

Offline pigscanfly

• I love bulbs!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 13:55 »
Great.  So when is the next shoot out.  I have added a Xindak DAC 5 to the MHZ and sound improves a notch.  Very airy and greater sound stage now....... ;)

Sorry, a little OT.

The MHZS CD88E is great stuff, just need to do some "operation" on it and you should get a very very decent CDP. Hahaha...

The pre-tubes definitely need to be replaced. I'm not sure if you have replaced it since the last time I heard it at your place. The original tubes sounded a little harsh when I got mine.

Francis, I'll tell you more on what I did to my MHZS CD88E on Friday when we meet.  :D
. Listens to transistor radio .

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 14:17 »

Lets do another one come end Feb. I have a few friends who are interested in joining the next session.

Sorry, a little OT.

The MHZS CD88E is great stuff, just need to do some "operation" on it and you should get a very very decent CDP. Hahaha...

The pre-tubes definitely need to be replaced. I'm not sure if you have replaced it since the last time I heard it at your place. The original tubes sounded a little harsh when I got mine.

Francis, I'll tell you more on what I did to my MHZS CD88E on Friday when we meet.  :D

Thats what i told him the last time that the stock pre-tubes on the MHZS CD88 needs to be replace.

Francis you can get the replacement tubes online. They are not expensives and yield better returns in SQ.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 14:19 by Darthfunk »

Offline kelso

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 14:41 »
Lets do another one come end Feb. I have a few friends who are interested in joining the next session.

Thats what i told him the last time that the stock pre-tubes on the MHZS CD88 needs to be replace.

Francis you can get the replacement tubes online. They are not expensives and yield better returns in SQ.

Wow, can I come too? I miss his chinese tea.
Plus I got a pair of telefunken ecc83 long plates can try in his mhzs.
Also want to try out some tok kong power cables that I got recently  ;D

francis woo

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 15:07 »
Okay, let's do it on 23rd or 24th.  Everyone is invited.

Yah, I know I have to roll but let me play around with it first.  Need to change to Jan 12ax7s and the rectification tube to OB2 in order to get refinement and control......hmmh, remind me to look for these at Burlington or anybody willing to part with theirs!!!

Wow, telefunken ecc83 and tok kong PC, can't wait to try them all.  Has the latter improves the sound from yr AG Unos!!!

Darthfunk, have you bought the carpet!

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 16:22 »
Okay, let's do it on 23rd or 24th.  Everyone is invited.

Yah, I know I have to roll but let me play around with it first.  Need to change to Jan 12ax7s and the rectification tube to OB2 in order to get refinement and control......hmmh, remind me to look for these at Burlington or anybody willing to part with theirs!!!

Wow, telefunken ecc83 and tok kong PC, can't wait to try them all.  Has the latter improves the sound from yr AG Unos!!!

Darthfunk, have you bought the carpet!

Yup bought a nice brown carpet from Muji, fits perfectly in my hall. 

Francis all this tubes you are looking for can be found online. Its cheaper and are are usually match pairs.

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 19:13 »
Just to add my 2 cents since I didn't post elsewhere earlier, the M&D really sparkles in the high freq for me. Within a few secs of playing some music with piano, I asked Darthfunk about how high the speakers could go - because I believed they went above 20khz, which it did. Apart from aiding in imaging, speakers that go that high produces a different type of airiness and the reproduction of instruments such as piano are much closer to life. I felt this is the primary strength of the speaker.

Mid-range is cohesive with good PRAT, and the lows are good. I agree that they are good, but at this price, this is the type of performance I would expect. Maybe have to listen to them in their 'home environment' before making further comments on this. Anyway, believe this pair will really shine in the typical Singaporean home with a relatively small living room.

However, in francis's extremely large living room, the lack of weight/depth versus a multi-woofer floorstander was made more apparent, but I do not find this a fault of the speaker itself. Can't expect a bookshelf to beat it in this setting. :)

Not sure if there is much comparison, but I would liken JMlabs and B&W type of sound to this set.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 19:16 by Quest »

Offline ks

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 20:15 »
Are these M&D speakers expensive?
TT: Thorens 160Mk3 with Shure M97xe, Scout VPI with Ortofon 2M Blue
Phono amp: CA 640P, **shopping for one**
CDP: Consonance CD120 Linear
Amp: **shopping for one**
Spkrs: Harbeth M20/M30

Offline 2100

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 22:23 »
Can it play loud, without the AMT being strained? I am very impressed that they are willing to push the AMT down to 800Hz!

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 00:16 »
Can it play loud, without the AMT being strained? I am very impressed that they are willing to push the AMT down to 800Hz!

Yes it can go really loud without breaking a sweat. I drive them with a pair of nuforce Ref 9 V2 SE monoblocks bi-wired. I was told it will sound even better bi-amp which is highly recommended. Even though they are small, the M&D Sapphire are power hungry at 83.5db efficiency.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 00:30 by Darthfunk »

Offline kelso

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 03:23 »
Yes the tubes can find online but sometimes depends on luck definitely cheaper than the local brick & mortar but gotta choose wisely  ;) My power cords that I got recently are the virtual dynamics nite 3 and the Lessloss cables, would like you all to hear & critique  ;D  oh yeah gotta to add they made the unos like completely different animals...but also must add that I brought down to audiobasic and kenna suan by Steven but of course la his dunno what 6100 cables cost like more than twice my cables ::)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:32 by kelso »