Author Topic: What to buy if i had a budget of $1-2K? (dedicated stereo set up)  (Read 4298 times)

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Re: What to buy if i had a budget of $1-2K? (dedicated stereo set up)
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 00:58 »
I had two pairs of Q 35s before. They are quite polite and warm but please rockers as they do not have slam but are beautiful with vocals. A sub is needed for more slam. Otherwise an excellant fllorstander. The coaxial tweeter gives good focus to the music.
If you need one jack, get it.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline congsterz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 11:38 »
I listen to a broad range of music - classical to rock - does this mean tube amps are not suitable and that i should go for integrated amps instead? I like my sound to be between neutral and warm (not too warm though).

speaker suggestions thus far: KEF Q35, Creek Series 2, Paradigm 11SE, Diamonds 9.1, Usher S-520, within the sub $500 range. Mixture of floor standers and bookshelves. do floor standers give a better and wider soundstage? Some reviews say that these can sound as good if not better than more expensive speakers - does it mean I wouldn't get much better sound than this if i go for speakers in the $500 - 1000 range? i'm the best bang for buck kind of person. i also wonder if i'd get a noticeable whole lot more than the psb alpha intros-denon 1707+sacd player im using now. this sounds ok to me though i would hope for even better sound. im tempted to walk into shops just to listen - but given that i don't intend to make purchases soon, and also some of these purchases may very well be off 2nd hand market - not too nice to do so. i'm one of those - don't waste the sales fella's time if you don't want to buy - kind of person.

$ wise, i'm not in the need to save or anything just to get a set-up, only that my wife tends to nag if she notices i'm spending - probably because i'm separately also  collecting stuffs like blu-ray discs (just bought 11 pcs in Jan over amazon), and macross hobby collector too. bdp1400 came in Dec after i bought macross stuffs for like 1.5k over Oct-Dec period.  :P that's why i will need to earn some 'haven't been making huge purchases for a few months' credits before i go into this. Anyway, also a good idea to set money aside to make some investments. i'm sure many folks here share my predicament. :P

Offline Spunky

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 13:40 »
perhaps u can start by upgrading the speakers.

at under $1k, you'll probably have to compromise on the bass.  But it'll be OK as the Alpha doesn't go that low anyway so if the new spkrs can do 60Hz, u'll definitely get a fuller sound than the alpha. 
next, since your wife is not unlike any others' wives, look for one that has a classy finish, eg, nice cherry/rosewood or glossy black finish, slim so that it's not too imposing...and a flrstander, an obvious 'upgrade' from a bookshelf! ;D

personally, if u can find a AE109, probably about $300-350 2nd hand, u'll fulfil the above.
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 13:51 »
just a note, an integrated amp is a box with preamp+poweramp and it can be tube or solid state (ss).

you can have a mixture of tubed preamp + ss power, or ss pre+tubed power

solid state amps can be analog or switching (class-D or PWM, commonly called 'digital' amplifiers)

Offline congsterz

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 20:56 »
just a note, an integrated amp is a box with preamp+poweramp and it can be tube or solid state (ss).

you can have a mixture of tubed preamp + ss power, or ss pre+tubed power

solid state amps can be analog or switching (class-D or PWM, commonly called 'digital' amplifiers)

by ss do you mean digital or transistor type of amp? are tubes really better sounding and do they work better as power amps or pre-amps? is it more difficult and ex to maintain tube amps?

Offline Spunky

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 23:57 »
by ss do you mean digital or transistor type of amp? are tubes really better sounding and do they work better as power amps or pre-amps? is it more difficult and ex to maintain tube amps?

ss or solid state generally refers to transistor amp...but I think digital amps are also ss ;D

tube amp don't need extra maintenance unless you r into tube rolling with some exotic tubes which can be rather hurting to the pocket ;D
but do be careful with china made tube amps...many cheap ones may have 'chiong' components which may have short lifespan.  I just found a bloated cap in my tube pre >:(
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 23:59 by Spunky »
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...