Author Topic: recommend Floor standing speakers : < $900  (Read 4795 times)

Offline mikeang88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
recommend Floor standing speakers : < $900
« on: January 30, 2008, 21:17 »
Hi guys,

thinking of replacing my Mission bookshelf with budget floor standers..

I saw this at Best .. Yamaha speakers... was matched with Yamaha 671.. sounded quite good actually....

at $885 , is it worth? Or is there other worth considering... wharfadale? mission?

My current set up is Onkyo 605, AE Center, Mission M30 fronts, and Yamaha N300 surround sounds and wharf SW120 ...

Any recommendations?  It has to be relatively small due to space constraint... but would want a 3-way and not a 2-way...

Thanks

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Re: recommend Floor standing speakers : < $900
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 21:23 »
Bro if you have space constraints, you will face phase coherence in confined spaces and the bass may be boomy...
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline mikeang88

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 21:49 »
hi pete,

thanks.. i don't really understand what u mean by phase coherence...

the size of my living room is around 5 m by 5m.. with lot of furntures around...
problem is my tv is sitting on this cabinet that takes up much of the space... so any floorstanders would need to be placed in front of this cabinet... so it has to be relatively small.. i did see something from Mission at KEC i liked but it did cost $1800/.

Offline Yubaba

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I Love Dynaudio
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 22:03 »
Mike

If you are going for HT Setup, it is better to have L,R,C speakers from the same manufacturer. It is mean for timbre matching

Regards

I have gone down to the path of Dynaudio and it has dominate my destiny

Offline petetherock

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 23:03 »
In a small room, the sound waves from the different drivers arrive at your ears at different timings.

From Thiel:

"THIEL's time and phase coherence, achieved by proper driver alignment and phase correct crossover design, preserves the music's natural spatial clues. In addition, THIEL's cabinet design eliminates diffraction (delayed energy radiated from the enclosure's edges) and so, reduces false spatial cues.

Transient Fidelity
Transient fidelity refers to the clarity of the speaker. The clarity of musical details and the faithful reproduction of the attack and decay of transient sounds is very important to realism. The pluck of a guitar string, the crash of a cymbal, or the way a sound reverberates and decays in a concert hall or nightclub contains subtleties that allow you to distinguish the individual instruments in an orchestra, or the difference between a Steinway piano and a Yamaha.

Listen to the way the speaker allows the individual instruments to remain separate from one another and individual voices in a chorus to be heard distinctly. Listen for the proper length of the sustain of a single piano note, or to the sharp attack of a drum head being struck.

Can you still hear details at lower volume levels? A speaker with good transient fidelity will not have to be played loudly to hear the musical details.

When the output from all the speaker's drivers are in synchrony and there is an absence of unwanted energy, the music's detail and authenticity come through. THIEL's time and phase coherence, extremely rigid cabinets, non-resonant driver diaphragms, low distortion, and very high quality crossover components, all contribute to increased clarity and transient fidelity.

When the output from all the speaker's drivers are in synchrony and there is an absence of unwanted energy, the music's detail and authenticity come through. THIEL's time and phase coherence, extremely rigid cabinets, non-resonant driver diaphragms, low distortion, and very high quality crossover components, all contribute to increased clarity and transient fidelity. "

The more drivers, the shorter the distance to the speaker, the worse the issue, esp with such a multi- driver speaker.
You need to HEAR it at the same distance as your home.
Cheers

hi pete,

thanks.. i don't really understand what u mean by phase coherence...

the size of my living room is around 5 m by 5m.. with lot of furntures around...
problem is my tv is sitting on this cabinet that takes up much of the space... so any floorstanders would need to be placed in front of this cabinet... so it has to be relatively small.. i did see something from Mission at KEC i liked but it did cost $1800/.

My gear:

Offline mikeang88

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:02 »
Mike

If you are going for HT Setup, it is better to have L,R,C speakers from the same manufacturer. It is mean for timbre matching

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I think I going to have a problem then. My AE Espirit Center is now obsolete and AE has a different range. Does it matter if the brand is same but the series is different?

Thanks

Offline mikeang88

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 10:04 »
Hi Pete,

Oic what you mean now. Ok, then i would have a problem...

do you know if there are any bookshelf that is similar to floor standers that are 3 ways which i can put on stand? Does it work better and has less of this phase problem?

Thanks

In a small room, the sound waves from the different drivers arrive at your ears at different timings.

From Thiel:

"THIEL's time and phase coherence, achieved by proper driver alignment and phase correct crossover design, preserves the music's natural spatial clues. In addition, THIEL's cabinet design eliminates diffraction (delayed energy radiated from the enclosure's edges) and so, reduces false spatial cues.

Transient Fidelity
Transient fidelity refers to the clarity of the speaker. The clarity of musical details and the faithful reproduction of the attack and decay of transient sounds is very important to realism. The pluck of a guitar string, the crash of a cymbal, or the way a sound reverberates and decays in a concert hall or nightclub contains subtleties that allow you to distinguish the individual instruments in an orchestra, or the difference between a Steinway piano and a Yamaha.

Listen to the way the speaker allows the individual instruments to remain separate from one another and individual voices in a chorus to be heard distinctly. Listen for the proper length of the sustain of a single piano note, or to the sharp attack of a drum head being struck.

Can you still hear details at lower volume levels? A speaker with good transient fidelity will not have to be played loudly to hear the musical details.

When the output from all the speaker's drivers are in synchrony and there is an absence of unwanted energy, the music's detail and authenticity come through. THIEL's time and phase coherence, extremely rigid cabinets, non-resonant driver diaphragms, low distortion, and very high quality crossover components, all contribute to increased clarity and transient fidelity.

When the output from all the speaker's drivers are in synchrony and there is an absence of unwanted energy, the music's detail and authenticity come through. THIEL's time and phase coherence, extremely rigid cabinets, non-resonant driver diaphragms, low distortion, and very high quality crossover components, all contribute to increased clarity and transient fidelity. "

The more drivers, the shorter the distance to the speaker, the worse the issue, esp with such a multi- driver speaker.
You need to HEAR it at the same distance as your home.
Cheers

Offline petetherock

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 10:28 »
It's not whether it is a bookshelf or not, its the number of drivers
Best to start afresh...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 21:53 by petetherock »

My gear:

Offline hifiluv

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 20:28 »
there is a warehouse sale at JBL sound gallery, 60 Marsiling Rd, SKM Bldg till 3 Feb, can chk out for any flrstander.  they hv an ad in the Straits Times tdy,  :)

Offline synthesis

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 22:53 »
do you know if there are any bookshelf that is similar to floor standers that are 3 ways which i can put on stand? Does it work better and has less of this phase problem?

Why particular about 3 way speaker? My 2 way speakers likely perform better than that Yamaha...

Offline petetherock

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 23:37 »
Thats called good marketing... more drivers = better sound....

My gear:

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 14:58 »
mo' better!!!

;D