Author Topic: Want to tighten up ur speaker imaging?  (Read 13747 times)

Offline hifiluv

• Trade Count: (+1)
Want to tighten up ur speaker imaging?
« on: January 22, 2008, 08:16 »
m using the Canare 4S11 as single core for the Primus 250.  ytd i saw tat the exposed cables are already oxidised and frailed, so i trim and used "new" portion and hook up.  wow... the imaging took a jump man.  so now put down in diary to trim cables every 6 mths or so  ;D

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
Re: Want to tighten up ur speaker imaging?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:00 »
If that's the case, must buy additional length of speaker cable enough to do trimming for years ?  ;)
The other issue is if using banana plugs, it might not be good to unscrew & screw too often as the screws might go rounded.
I personally feel if using banana plugs, terminate it once & for all using heat shrink tubing to wrap around the entire plug & a portion of the cable insulation is the best option to minimize oxidation.

That's the cons of using bare without termination.   

m using the Canare 4S11 as single core for the Primus 250.  ytd i saw tat the exposed cables are already oxidised and frailed, so i trim and used "new" portion and hook up.  wow... the imaging took a jump man.  so now put down in diary to trim cables every 6 mths or so  ;D
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Offline cn9601

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:58 »
Previously, I used to trim the oxidised cable once a year (copper cost is Xpensive lei  :-\ )

Then recently, got the Craig Pro-Gold - initally for thr purpose to shine the terminals of amp, CDP, etc....then notice it does a bagus job on those oxidised cable end  ;D  Since my Surr cable cant be trimmed, am using Craig to de-oxidise. The cleansing process takes less than 5secs. But must say a can of Craig is not cheap  :o  (ahem) there are bros use Philips degreaser, though.....

Offline Hitokiri_Battousai

• Hifi Aficionado
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 18:41 »
Previously, I used to trim the oxidised cable once a year (copper cost is Xpensive lei  :-\ )

Then recently, got the Craig Pro-Gold - initally for thr purpose to shine the terminals of amp, CDP, etc....then notice it does a bagus job on those oxidised cable end  ;D  Since my Surr cable cant be trimmed, am using Craig to de-oxidise. The cleansing process takes less than 5secs. But must say a can of Craig is not cheap  :o  (ahem) there are bros use Philips degreaser, though.....

Craig Pro-gold and deoxit are both great products, use deoxit 100% solution can remove oxidation very well, while pro-gold preserves the metal for a reasonable period of time.

Bare wire terminals can also be 'tinned' with silver solder. I go 'bare' with my diy cables for ht use, but tin them with silver solder, e.g. wonder solder. Clamping tight with the speaker/amp terminals should prevent oxidation at the contact points.

Good thing more expensive cables come with banana plugs or spades, otherwise keep trimming = losing money... ;D

I also go 'bare' with diy cables, but tin them with silver solder, e.g. wonder solder.

Wish I had such success and satisfaction with budget cables though like hifiluv, then can save money...

Offline hifiluv

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 00:17 »
Craig Pro-gold and deoxit are both great products, use deoxit 100% solution can remove oxidation very well, while pro-gold preserves the metal for a reasonable period of time.

Bare wire terminals can also be 'tinned' with silver solder. I go 'bare' with my diy cables for ht use, but tin them with silver solder, e.g. wonder solder. Clamping tight with the speaker/amp terminals should prevent oxidation at the contact points.

Good thing more expensive cables come with banana plugs or spades, otherwise keep trimming = losing money... ;D

I also go 'bare' with diy cables, but tin them with silver solder, e.g. wonder solder.

Wish I had such success and satisfaction with budget cables though like hifiluv, then can save money...

so can either go for tinning, heat shrink cover, or detox solution, Tks.

when i had the Diamond 9.1 with Belden 1313A, i was already on cloud 9, now with the Primus 250 with Canare 4S11...with its extended lows..... ah...its near perfection... what more can i ask for a bedroom setup...... ;D ;D

the beauty of playing with cheap cheap cable is can trim till kingdom come, also with a start 3 metre length, it will take some time before running out ...lol....... ;)

to my ears, the Diamond 9.1 with its tight imaging and very balance sound (in all categories) beats the Ursher 520, Q Accoustics 1020 and Primus 150 and it outshines my previous KEF Cresta II, Q Compact, Energy C3, i highly recommend it to those who are looking for a budget but decent pair of stand mounts, do incl this as one of yr auditions.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 00:39 by hifiluv »

Offline buzztiger

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 13:12 »
hifiluv wat did u pair the diamond 9.1s ? They sounded bright to me with denon and pioneer receivers.

Offline hifiluv

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 22:53 »
try tube... ;D

my Diamond 9.1 paired with MIC 6p13p tube amp, NAD C521, Klotz GY107 w neutrik n Belden 1313A.

its my best sound todate.  somehow the pieces just fall in place,  ;D

the 6p13p is an unknown, the strength is in the very natural and lifelike vocals n instrumental sound, the
NAD tho entry level gives the characteristic NAD timing and attack, which i feel its a good match for tube.  the Diamond
glue it together with razor sharp imaging, crystal clear high and mid, & enough punch for bass for a bedroom setup
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 23:06 by hifiluv »

Offline zapp

• This is poison forum...
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 00:34 »
so can either go for tinning, heat shrink cover, or detox solution, Tks.

when i had the Diamond 9.1 with Belden 1313A, i was already on cloud 9, now with the Primus 250 with Canare 4S11...with its extended lows..... ah...its near perfection... what more can i ask for a bedroom setup...... ;D ;D

the beauty of playing with cheap cheap cable is can trim till kingdom come, also with a start 3 metre length, it will take some time before running out ...lol....... ;)

to my ears, the Diamond 9.1 with its tight imaging and very balance sound (in all categories) beats the Ursher 520, Q Accoustics 1020 and Primus 150 and it outshines my previous KEF Cresta II, Q Compact, Energy C3, i highly recommend it to those who are looking for a budget but decent pair of stand mounts, do incl this as one of yr auditions.

haha now u know shiok feeling of floorstanders :p

Offline Spunky

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 10:39 »
Another way to tighten the image is, of coz, tighten the bolts/screws of your drivers which may become loose over time.  BUT DONCH OVER TIGHTEN!!!!
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

Offline fedorov

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:59 »
would like to enquire where can i get this Canare 4S11 spkr cable? how much is it per m?

Offline widget

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 12:14 »
would like to enquire where can i get this Canare 4S11 spkr cable? how much is it per m?

You can try LHS at SLT Level 2.
I got mine for $5/m about 2 years ago.
Not sure whether the price remains.

Offline hifiluv

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 12:16 »
http://www.canare.com/index.cfm?objectid=ED7479EC-3048-7098-AF06286428706042

if not mistaken, inflation lah, px now $5.50/mtr, but can call LHS to confm px and stock avail before making trip down,  :)

Offline warmasterhorus11

• Cant live without VantageHD! Revolution in PQ!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 13:15 »
Recently seems like all those cables very sellable...Klotz , 1313A etc...
Money don't Change People, It is Money that bring Changes around them. Calibre VantageHD, HIFi-Tuning(Quantum Plug & Noise Destroyer), RGPC 1200, Anthem A5, A2, Marantz SR7002, Epson TW700, Oppo BD83, DV983H, Marantz CD63SE(TS-Lim Modded). SVS PB12, PS Audio Juice Bar II, Harmonic Tech, Bettercables, Signalcables, Focupix 80".

Offline cn9601

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 13:52 »
It's the "insidious poison" injected in this XP forum. It's VERY contagious. I am already a victim of Belden 1313A, Onkyo and PCH  ;)

But NO REGRET  :D  Now waiting to be toxicated by MA RS/GS  8)

Recently seems like all those cables very sellable...Klotz , 1313A etc...

Offline zengjia

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 04:17 »
It's the "insidious poison" injected in this XP forum. It's VERY contagious. I am already a victim of Belden 1313A, Onkyo and PCH  ;)

But NO REGRET  :D  Now waiting to be toxicated by MA RS/GS  8)

haha if by any chance u got intoxicated by rs1, tell me ur experience with belden 1313A. roughly how much is belden 1313A per m anyway?