Author Topic: Help: Options for a 1k CD player which is warm / neutral?  (Read 21425 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
I am looking for something which tends to be neutral or warm, mainly for orchestra / vocals with optical and co-axial outputs as well as analogue. Can anyone help?
I would prefer new, but I am open to options.
Thanks

PS: actually if it is 2nd hand I would prefer to spend half that... and I am concerned about the transport quality
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
Re: Help: Options for a 1k CD player which is warm / neutral?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:22 »
wow. you really got a few k's to spend.  :D

warm sound only tube CDPs can provide, but i do not think $1k can get a decent tube CDP. i think among the solid state CDPs from marantz and denon more neutral. i am talking about those high end CDPs being over $1k. i remembered some bros putting me off when i tried to look into CDPs in the budget $400 range. so best guess now is only those in the $1k region will offer more differences in "good quality sound" most forumers will say SS sound's too process. not enough neutral gains to it.  will be looking forward to everyones response to your thread.  :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 09:24 by DJQ »
ProJect Q.

francis woo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 09:51 »
Go over to EBay and bid for the MHZ 88E.  This baby is worth more than 1K, maybe near to 2K in my opinion.  What you are looking for is in this little gem...... :)

Offline Spunky

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:57 »
for source/player, get one that's as neutral as possible!! 
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

Offline outofthebox

• 127.0.0.1 Theatre!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:30 »

NAD 542, Arcam 73, Shanling CDT100, Marantz CD63 (now out of production) with TS Lim mods?

Offline hifiluv

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:55 »

NAD 542, Arcam 73, Shanling CDT100, Marantz CD63 (now out of production) with TS Lim mods?

Shanling CDT1000 can get for $1K?  the last time was at Larry's was quoted $1.8K, maybe
i m outdated, px hv come down?

the NAD 542 is very fast n punchy, do not know if tat is considered warm/neutral, but its my kind of sound man...lol...... ;D

the Marantz CD63 TS Lim modded is a bit too laid back in terms of timing / attack for my ears, again some will find as warm /neutral

Offline petetherock

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:00 »
Thanks, I am not keen on tube CDs :)

what would you pay for a CD 17 KIS from Marantz? Is there an issue with the transports of second hand transports?

My gear:

Offline Spunky

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:08 »
the 1st thing to go in a cdp is the lens.  Marantz 63/67 has this unfortunate reputation of lens with short lifespan!! ;D  Not sure what cd17 is using!

The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 11:48 »
someone selling a NAD S500 silver series at eloft, for $800

Offline outofthebox

• 127.0.0.1 Theatre!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:29 »
Shanling CDT1000 can get for $1K?  the last time was at Larry's was quoted $1.8K, maybe
i m outdated, px hv come down?

the NAD 542 is very fast n punchy, do not know if tat is considered warm/neutral, but its my kind of sound man...lol...... ;D

Sorry my bad, I meant CD100 - http://www.shanling.com/English/A100_CD100_TU100.htm . The Larry one is fancy looking  Tube version.

It has a solid state output stage  and the build quality and components is very good and normally not seen in that price range. Heard it in a shop in HK a few years ago - pretty decent. Was quoted around HK$3000 for it if I remember correctly. I was impressed but didn't know much about Shanling then so the offer sounded too good to be true. Later regretted a lot for not bringing it back with me  ;D.

The NAD is my kind of sound too - IMO it's a good value for money product.  :)

Offline hifiluv

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 12:36 »
whew..... i thot there was a good deal out there.... lol......

as an ex owner for the NAD C542, i would say to anyone (unless u hate the NAD type of sound), do check it out, at tat px range, its one of the best there is.  speed, dynamics, clarity but not clinical, separation, emotions fm vocal, timing......i can go on n on...  ;D

Offline outofthebox

• 127.0.0.1 Theatre!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 12:54 »
fully agree with that. The NAD 542 is very hard to beat in that range.

Actually I didn't specify it in my original post that's the order I used for Pete to choose from. As everyone's taste in music varies - from the punchiest (NAD) to the most laid back (TS Lim Marantz 63) and then some players in between.  ;)

Online boring

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 14:28 »
I am looking for something which tends to be neutral or warm, mainly for orchestra / vocals with optical and co-axial outputs as well as analogue. Can anyone help?
I would prefer new, but I am open to options.
Thanks

PS: actually if it is 2nd hand I would prefer to spend half that... and I am concerned about the transport quality

If you're going to audition the TS Lim modded CD63, you can drop buy next door to audition the usher cd-1 as well. The cd-1 is actually using the same board as another shanling cdp. Review here http://avforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411

There's a new model of usher cdp on their web. Not too sure if it's available in the market. Of cos, if you can get from taiwan it'll be alot cheaper.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 17:11 »
With regards to the TS Lim players are the transports new?
I am more concerned about mechanical failure

My gear:

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 17:45 »
I used to own the Usher CD-1. When paired with Denon 2807 AVR, it sounded quite harsh & fatigue when the source contains lots of highs or high pitch female vocals.

If you're going to audition the TS Lim modded CD63, you can drop buy next door to audition the usher cd-1 as well. The cd-1 is actually using the same board as another shanling cdp. Review here http://avforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411

There's a new model of usher cdp on their web. Not too sure if it's available in the market. Of cos, if you can get from taiwan it'll be alot cheaper.
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."