Author Topic: My Review on Marantz SR8200 Receiver  (Read 6953 times)

Online desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
    • Desray HT Blog
My Review on Marantz SR8200 Receiver
« on: July 27, 2002, 22:10 »
For those interest and wishes to find out more about this model as compared to other models in the Marnatz family...Give it a miss or a buy...Read up to decide yourself. ;)

http://www.kec-sound.com/Templates/SR8200%20Review/Introduction.htm
;D

Offline chucks

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re:My Review on Marantz SR8200 Receiver
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 22:27 »
Interesting review. Good job. But I spotted a spelling error in the first page with the word 'gadget'. :)

btw, can anyone explain thx to me? I thought it is a sound standard by Lucas and to qualify as thx ht, u need to pass tests, including equipts,rooms etc and get  a cert, or something like that. Having a thx amp doesn't really meant anything.

or is the diff in thx is so diff than dts/dd that we can hear straight forward?

thanks.

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • I predicted overhead spkrs 10 yrs ago.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2002, 10:09 »
V. nice review. As well-known to all, the Marantz is really a great receiver...... all the features at a low price.

Speaking of which, u might want to go to www.remotecentral.com and have a look on how the remote can be programmed for that personalised touch.

Urs should be the marantz twin of the prontoneo.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2002, 10:14 by Jag »
New 7.2.4 forming in the ATMOS-phere.....

Online desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 13:10 »
Thanx Jag...me now very au fait with the use and fucntion of the Remote Controller...no problem for me.
:D

Online desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2002, 13:24 »
My personal recommendation...if you're buting Manrantz Receiver...I would perosnally recommend SR8200 over SR9200 (one thing is the near $1K difference)...and the other thing is the power handling for the channels is 120W/Ch for SR8200 and 140W/Ch for SR9200. The latter have the THX-Ultra certification though...the former only Select series.

Speaking of which...maybe explain abit on THX-Select and THX-Ultra:
1) THX-Ultra - In short have the capability to "expand" the soundstage to a wider area...it's very good for users for a room or living hall with very spacious room to play with and especially good if the distance from one speaker to another is very great...for instance, Front speaker and left speaker is approx. 8ft away from your listening position! The Ultra series is able to "fill-up" the gap and made the surround very powerful fill up the whole room! In addition, the Ultra series are able to utilize the THX-Cinema (common) for movie viewing and also THX-Music for music listening pleasure...the latter can optimize the rear surround channels making the lisening environment 360 degresss field!

2) THX-Select - The small brother of THX-Ultra...pratically almost the oppsosite of the abovementioned except that the price wise is made more affordable...but sometimes we have to think back...unless your room or living hall is REALLY that spacious IF NOT what's the point of getting THX-Ultra...For a normal HDB dweller like me, SELECT series improved to be a better buy and save you alot...Note that the performance is the SAME as the test made on SR9200 is the same as SR8200 series except that Ultra series have more juice when comes to listening to music as emphasis "have been" placed on the rear surround....And that's really good!

If got extra cassh of course encourage to go for Ultra series if not Select series is good enough for practically all HDB dwellers like me lor...:)
;D

Offline jonhigh

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2002, 00:21 »
Whats the price for the SR8200 n SR9200???

Thanx;)

Online desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2002, 10:43 »
U can ask Jonlee...My quoting price for SR8200 is around $2300.00 while the price for SR9200 is coming to $2,900.00. Both price quotation from my friend at Merdeka Audio.
;)

Online desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2002, 16:20 »
Below is an extract from a Forum discussing about the problem which exist in the Marantz SR8200 Receiver...And I have to agreed with this guy by the name of PhilM...

Jonlee I thought this may be an issue to you too...as U have purchased the SR8200 Receiver too recently. Take a look below: :-\

I just purchased a 8200 yesterday and I'm mixed. There were a couple factors that really drew me to to the 8200, one being the remote, and another being Marantz's reputation for music reproduction, and the RS 232 port for future upgrades. I figured that I may have to give up some HT ability for great music sound.

Well, this is why I'm mixed. I've had a chance to watch a couple DVD's (in DD) and they were WONDERFUL! I've also played around with PL2 with some laserdiscs, and they too were great. It beats my old Denon 3300 hands down. Sound was very dynamic and enveloping, it just really drew you in and surrounded you. It had a very full and smooth sound even at very loud levels. I was greatly surprised!

I've also had a chance to listen to various CD's that I am very familiar with. I've done so in both stereo mode as well as multiple DSP modes including PL2 music. This is where I'm not satisfied. There is just too much bass, it sounds unatural. I have the sub calibrated at 83-84 and the rest of the channels at 75. With some modes it sounds as though the center channel should be backed down as well.

Part of the problem is the inability to set channel levels, you CAN NOT select or adjust individual channel levels (for the most part). In the main set-up you select large/small (80 hz crossover)and yes/no sub, then you go into the test tones page to adjust the levels WHILE the tones are playing (universally for all surround modes).

You do not have the ability to adjust individual channels by themselves without the test tones playing! And once adjusted you cannot adjust them via input? I couldn't believe it. I guess I was spoiled by my previous Denon(s) because I had the ability to set individual channel levels for each source and it would remember each setting. On music modes from my CD player I would lower the sub levels, and for digital inputs I would have the LFE at another setting, and then for signals coming from my replay, I would again bump up the sub level some, and sometimes decrease the center level.

The above is impossible with the 8200 I have.

Offline Goldberg

• Listen. Let your ears be the judge.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2002, 22:53 »
There's a review on 8200 on the latest 'The Perfect Vision' magazine, issue 43, July/Aug 2002. Just saw it at Borders Bookstore but have no time to read thru'.
Marantz SA-7S1 (SACD Player)
Marantz NA-11S1 (DAC/Reference Network Player)
Marantz SC-7S2 (Pre)
Karan Acoustics KAS400 (Stereo Dual Mono Power Amp)
Focal Scala Utopia (Speakers)
NBS Cable

Online desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2002, 23:16 »
The reviews on this particular Receiver model is rather encouraging...Most reviewers will recommend it to all HT fans... ;D

Offline quekky

• Lift your music
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2002, 01:56 »

You do not have the ability to adjust individual channels by themselves without the test tones playing! And once adjusted you cannot adjust them via input? I couldn't believe it. I guess I was spoiled by my previous Denon(s) because I had the ability to set individual channel levels for each source and it would remember each setting. On music modes from my CD player I would lower the sub levels, and for digital inputs I would have the LFE at another setting, and then for signals coming from my replay, I would again bump up the sub level some, and sometimes decrease the center level.

guess i'll have to stick with my denon  :(

Offline Phil

• Global Moderator
  • HT addict
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2002, 09:02 »

Confused! Waz that felo complaining?? He wans 2 adjust e speaker level 4 each input.. e.g. CD, DVD, LD & etc or for each mode... direct, DD, DTS, DSP & etc??

Phil

Offline jonlee

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2002, 10:45 »
From my understanding...the SR8200 allows u to adjust individual channel level, but the same adjustment will be applied throughout all input (DVD, CD, etc...).

His old denon can have different adjustment for different input.

Will try out when my 82000 arrives tonite...

Confused! Waz that felo complaining?? He wans 2 adjust e speaker level 4 each input.. e.g. CD, DVD, LD & etc or for each mode... direct, DD, DTS, DSP & etc??

Phil

Offline jonlee

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2002, 10:49 »
On my receipt, it stated the SR8200 as $2400 (b4 trade in).  

U can ask Jonlee...My quoting price for SR8200 is around $2300.00 while the price for SR9200 is coming to $2,900.00. Both price quotation from my friend at Merdeka Audio.
;)

Offline Phil

• Global Moderator
  • HT addict
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2002, 11:19 »

From my understanding...the SR8200 allows u to adjust individual channel level, but the same adjustment will be applied throughout all input (DVD, CD, etc...).

His old denon can have different adjustment for different input.

Will try out when my 82000 arrives tonite...

I c.. dun is it really necessary??

Adjust once & it should apply 4 all.. I mean its juz 2 balance e sound level of all speakers... 4 my case.. my Rotel got a separate gain setting 4 e sub for each mode, stereo, DD, DTS & DSP. IMHO, more than enuff liao..

Phil