Author Topic: NuForce Icon owners / discussion thread  (Read 102988 times)

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
NuForce Icon - Mini Review (Part 1) by Darthfunk
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2008, 00:19 »
NuForce Icon Mini Review (Part 1)

First Impressions

Someone should give the art designer an award for the Best Design. Seriously who would have come up with such a beautiful and tastefully design box? From the exterior box packaging to the inside box NuForce really took every detail into consideration making sure it look really good.

Click to enlarge

The packaging box is made of translucent hard plastic and the inside box is white color with a transparent window to show the color of the Icon inside. The inside box sports four slot bay for the amp (Icon), power adapter, stand, USB cables, and RJ45 to banana plug speaker cables. There is also another slim box which contains the power cord and a protective white rubber mat for you to place the Icon horizontally. 

Click to enlarge

The unit I got comes in a beautiful shade of red that gives you that expensive, stylish, avande garde look. What I also like is that sexy curve edge body. I simply love the knobs (Volume and Input Selector) on the Icon. It has this nice smooth texture to it and yet gives you that solid tight feel whenever you turn the knob. The volume control is also the on/off switch which gives a click sound whenever you turn it on or off. The headphone jack input can be found at the bottom of the front panel. At the back of the Icon, it sports a clean and simple layout. It come with 3 inputs, RCA, USB and 3.5mm stereo jack, a unique speaker output (RJ45) and a line out (for subwoofer) connection.

Click to enlarge

Audio

Set up was simple; I hooked up the Icon to my pc through the USB port which now functions as a USB DAC Pre-Amp. Next I connected a pair of Mark & Daniel Maximus Mini for a stress test on the Icon. The Mini’s are a very hard pair of speakers to drive with an average efficiency of 82.5db.

Scrolling through my itunes, I selected Eric Clapton’s Tears in Heaven in 320kbps MP3 format. What came next totally hit me by surprise! My initial expectation of this little fellow wasn’t even high however what I heard next completely threw whatever assumptions I had on it. The sound was simply amazing; I could hear Clapton plucking the guitar strings so clearly. It was good clean music with no distortion played out. Clapton’s vocal was so warm and detailed that I could feel his pain and passion when he sang it. The most amazing thing is it could drive my M&D Mini’s! Like I said before the Mini’s are real hard to drive and it sounded good with the Icon.

At a desktop distant of less than a meter it was loud enough for me playing at 10 o’clock volume level. I got more adventurous by cranking it up to almost 1 o’clock. Guess what, it didn’t clip or sound stretched at all, I had to even turn it down as it was getting too loud for my ears. On my previous amp (KingRex) which was driving the Usher S520, it was clipping badly and even shut down when I played it up to 2 o’clock level! Simply put it this way, amps like Trends and KingRex will not come close to it.

Next I shifted the Icon to the hall and hook it up to an OPPO DV-983H and Mark & Daniel Sapphires. I selected “Smooth Operator” from The Best of Sade album for my next listening test. This would mean a more grueling test on the Icon especially trying to drive the Sapphires which are one of the bigger bookshelf in the Maximus range. I was a little skeptical about switching from Mini to Sapphires but that’s what this stress test is all about, isn’t it?

Holy cow! I couldn't believe what I was hearing, this little chili padi could make the Sapphire sing. Now I am asking myself how on earth could this tiny little amp drive the Sapphires? I am simply lost for words, i couldn't believe what I was hearing. My assumptions had got the better of me again! What came out from the Sapphires was pumping tight bass. The smooth sexy sound of the Saxophone gave me a cool jazzy vibe. Sade's voice was so melodious and warm that i was singing along with her. Details like the beat of the Congo could be heard clearly with every finger knock. I could hear the bass guitar strumming away in the background blending in so well and smoothly with the music. All this was played at a loud volume level at 1 o'clock which the Icon didnt break a sweat. I must really say it sounded even better on the Sapphires.

Inside of Icon

Overall photo of entire Icon circuit-board. Note very clean & nice layout, with great attention to component positioning & very short circuit-paths. The big black Nuforce Audio-Grade NH15 is Nuforce’s proprietary audiophile-grade DC-to-DC converter

This is a close-up of Nuforce’s proprietary analog-switching Class-D chip – very nice job! Note how close they managed to place it to the RJ-45 speaker output connectors!

Huge Nuforce proprietary audiophile-grade capacitor, one of the many nice, Nuforce proprietary components used in the circuit board.

Burr-Brown DAC used for the USB DAC circuitry. Again, very nice!

Conclusion

I am still in disbelieve and in total shock of what i was hearing from the Icon. It was able to deliver, perform and exceed above all expectations for its price range. It is clean, neutral, dynamic and not bass shy is what I can describe the Icon. 12 watt is seriously an understatement so don’t be fooled by the numbers. I can assure you that it will be able to drive your speakers and you will be amazed by its sound.

Come to think of it, at this price tag the Icon is simply the best value for money amp. 6 key features on the Icon which none of its competitor can do:

• Integrated Amp
  • Pre-Amp
  • USB DAC
  • USB DAC Pre-Amp
  • Power Amp
  • Headphone Amp

It’s a multi-functional amp which performs top notch in every category. 
NuForce has seriously set new heights and benchmark on the Icon. Well done!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:10 by Darthfunk »

Offline zapp

• This is poison forum...
Re: US$200 nuforce class D?
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2008, 00:25 »
can do bridging?

Offline silencer13

• I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2008, 00:38 »
Darth, excellent review. U make me wanna buy 1..... or 2.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
NuForce Icon - 6moons preview
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2008, 01:02 »
Here's a preview on the NuForce Icon on 6moons

Btw i will start a NuForce Icon Owners thread at a later stage for further discussions
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:31 by Darthfunk »

Offline mHiFi

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2008, 08:01 »
Any shop carry this in Singapore? I remember I have to import my super T from Australia and is almost the same price as this nuForce icon. They use the word "Icon" may be sound like for ipod!

I think it is the same class as the sonic T amp. You don't have to look for special speaker. Just look for the one with your prefer sound. Easy matching.for small room. Not suitable for bigger living room.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2008, 08:34 »
They use the word "Icon" may be sound like for ipod!

Thinking along that line, I-con sounds more like a fake Ipod! ;D
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

Offline Smooth

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2008, 08:36 »
I am using the Super T-amp (modded with higher grade caps with the help of a echolofter) Match it with Denon CDP and Philips mini speakers (got for free).

Sounds good. Actually listening to it now in my office.... Carpenters.
Am I dreaming... I saw Homer Simpson in white.

Offline jonlee

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2008, 08:57 »
My next wish...Nuforce to come out with a matching CDP+Tuner 2-in-1 to go with the amp...   ;D

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2008, 09:59 »
can do bridging?

You cant bridge but you can use it as mono's ;D

francis woo

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2008, 10:01 »
Darth, that's great.  Are you letting go of your Mono blocks now!!!.......... ;D

Offline Quest

• Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2008, 10:04 »
Darthfunk I have two more product questions:
1. Can it be used as USB-DAC, while ALSO using the RCA inputs? How does this work if so?
2. How long are the provided cables? Hope not too short!

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2008, 10:33 »
Darthfunk I have two more product questions:
1. Can it be used as USB-DAC, while ALSO using the RCA inputs? How does this work if so?
2. How long are the provided cables? Hope not too short!

1. Yes you can but you can only select 1 input at a time. 1 input for PC (USB) and 1 inpput RCA (CDP)
2. Long enough for your desk top at 1m length.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:00 by Darthfunk »

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2008, 10:34 »
Darth, that's great.  Are you letting go of your Mono blocks now!!!.......... ;D

Wait long long!  :D

Offline mikeang88

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2008, 11:13 »
Hi Darthfunk,

Thanks for the outstanding review.

Thinking of using this to pair my NAD 542 and a pair of Mission bookshelf or Whafe 9.5 floorstanders as a stero amp...

Would you say that this Nuforce amp is warm-sounding?

Thanks

You cant bridge but you can use it as mono's ;D

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2008, 11:51 »
Hi Darthfunk,

Thanks for the outstanding review.

Thinking of using this to pair my NAD 542 and a pair of Mission bookshelf or Whafe 9.5 floorstanders as a stero amp...

Would you say that this Nuforce amp is warm-sounding?

Thanks

If you are adventourous bi-amp it, you just need 2 sets.  ;D

To me it sounded neutral. It does sounded warm and not laid back at all.

If you are interested Iam holding a listening session on Sat, drop me a pm if you want to come over.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 00:41 by Darthfunk »