Author Topic: NuForce Icon owners / discussion thread  (Read 141516 times)

Offline Darthfunk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Da funk banana
Re: US$200 nuforce class D?
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2008, 16:06 »
Just an idea. Why not terminate a custom short cable with rj45 on 1 end & speaker binding post on the other end.

In this way, U can freely change your speaker cables.  ;D

But of course the bottle-neck will still be the rj45 cable. If using 8 strands of AWG24 as in a standard Cat5 or 6 cable, 4 strands as + & 4 strands as -, the largest guage size possible is 4 x AWG24 which is about AWG18.

So it might not be worthwhile to buy speaker cables that r much larger than AWG18.

Bro spot on!

Offline raindog

« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2008, 16:56 »
Just wondering why the USB is still only version 1.1 when most other (PC) appliances are ver 2 already? Do I need to be concerned about this?

Offline mHiFi

« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2008, 21:58 »
Just wondering why the USB is still only version 1.1 when most other (PC) appliances are ver 2 already? Do I need to be concerned about this?

You don't need usb2.x speed, it is only for music like CD player, 2x will do.

Offline titamini

« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2008, 23:51 »
If i use as DAC, where should i connect output for my RCA I/C? Cos i read the description shows its RCA only for input.

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2008, 23:56 »
If i use as DAC, where should i connect output for my RCA I/C? Cos i read the description shows its RCA only for input.
use headphone out? haha
not sure if the line out (for subwoofer) is able to be used for that either.

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2008, 00:11 »

The line out is a 3.5mm stereo jack so you will need a y splitter 3.5mm jack to RCA. Actually where do you want to output to?
The Icon can also function as a pre-amp which outputs to a poweramp or monoblocks.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 00:13 by Darthfunk »

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2008, 09:25 »
From NuForce Casey

Larger diameter is not necessary better sounding.   I would suggest you can make a Cat3 cable and compare to Cat5 sound.....I am sure this will become interesting.....

The best high-end cable I used are extremely thin gauge.  Our internal speaker lead in Nuforce amps are 100 x 32ga Litz wire.  As you can see, I am sort of leaning towards small gauge.

BTW, there are 3x 24ga in each leg of the Icon speaker cable.  3 twisted pairs were dedicated for speaker signal, 1 pairs were used for ID'ing S1.   If I am not wrong, 3 x 24 ga = 19ga, which is very decent for a 12W output.

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2008, 10:14 »
Casey should know better than to try and reason with cable fanatics ;D

Offline titamini

« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2008, 10:50 »
The line out is a 3.5mm stereo jack so you will need a y splitter 3.5mm jack to RCA. Actually where do you want to output to?
The Icon can also function as a pre-amp which outputs to a poweramp or monoblocks.

out to onkyo a9555 int amp. am using onkyo se200 soundcard. looking for a usb dac so dont know if this is better as a dac than my onkyo soundcard.

Offline Quest

• Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2008, 11:01 »
out to onkyo a9555 int amp. am using onkyo se200 soundcard. looking for a usb dac so dont know if this is better as a dac than my onkyo soundcard.
Why not borrow something like a Trends UD10 to test?
From my experience usually not much difference.

Online Knight_Rider

« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2008, 13:26 »

This is more of a desktop amp than a DAC otherwise it will have gold-plated RCA out instead of just input. Hopefully newer revision will have proper speaker binding post as well. Chamoxa is bringing in the Styleaudio USB DAC and I thnk that suits your needs better.

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=252770
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=252970&page=2

Offline Darthfunk

• Da funk banana
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2008, 14:52 »
This is more of a desktop amp than a DAC otherwise it will have gold-plated RCA out instead of just input. Hopefully newer revision will have proper speaker binding post as well. Chamoxa is bringing in the Styleaudio USB DAC and I thnk that suits your needs better.

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=252770
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=252970&page=2

This is a USB DAC. You dont need GOLD plated RCA out for it to sound good.

Which similiar price range amp gives you a function of:
1) Integrated Amp
2) Pre-Amp
3) USB + DAC
4) Headphone Amp
5) Poweramp
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 16:24 by Darthfunk »

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2008, 15:30 »
I think what people are thinking when you say "USB DAC" is an output to an amplifier

Offline Quest

• Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2008, 15:46 »
It's not about the features. It's about fitting the user's requirements.

I agree with Knight_Rider that if you are looking to use this purely as a DAC, the connectors aren't exactly suitable. Would the Icon's stereo minijack output beat a lower or similarly priced USB-DAC with proper RCA outputs? Nobody knows, but it means an investment in ICs and a higher cost for all the features you're not using - even if we admit that the Icon is good value.

I'll probably give it a test against my external/internal soundcards and SB3 when I get the Icon.

Online Knight_Rider

« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2008, 16:21 »
This IS a USB DAC! You dont need GOLD plated RCA out for it to sound good.

Which similiar price range amp gives you a function of:
1) Integrated Amp
2) Pre-Amp
3) USB + DAC
4) Headphone Amp
5) Poweramp

I dun foresee him using the rest of the function or to switch between functions. (esp 1 and 2) I did not said it sound bad or can't be use but I would still prefer proper output for the job IMO. Like I said I would like to see better implementation in the next revision. I am just giving him another option no need to be so agitated. Peace.