Author Topic: Tweaks thread - those that work and those which didn't  (Read 20293 times)

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Tweaks thread - those that work and those which didn't
« on: November 16, 2007, 07:30 »
Friends
We have a friendly environment here and I am glad we can resolve things in such a happy info sharing fashion.

I have seen some tweaks which border on the snake oil, and cost a lot and some simple ones which are really nice and cheap.

Hence I hope everyone can add what worked and didn't for them.

Some simple tweaks which are affordable and helped:

- Adding a simple power conditioner from Xindak
- Using a direct power line to the hi fi and avoid high current machines eg air - con and washing machines
- sand filled stands versus bookshelves
- switching from silver to copper cables to tame my treble

Cheers

Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline ahhian

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline ahhian

Re: Tweaks thread - those that work and those which didn't
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 09:19 »
One question, some people use power filter/conditioner (Xindak) but those who dislike filters will use a good power distributor (Furutech/Oyaide).

Can I know what are the main difference between them?

Which is a better choice for improve sound?

Cheers :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:23 by ahhian »

Offline ckng

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 21:21 »
One question, some people use power filter/conditioner (Xindak) but those who dislike filters will use a good power distributor (Furutech/Oyaide).

Can I know what are the main difference between them?

Which is a better choice for improve sound?

Cheers :)

You'll have to try both as they are very system dependent. The better power distributors supposedly improve sound by having much better connectors, internal wiring, damping, shielding, etc compared to the <=$20 ones. I have not tried them though.

Regards
CK

Online petetherock

Other tweaks
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 16:49 »
Using Blu Tack under your  speakers

Replaced those copper / brass biwire connectors with Jumpers

Replacing the standard IEC power cord - the jury is still out on this IMO, spend some but don't go overboard, eg if its a budget or even mid-range AV amp, I recommend spend the money elsewhere.

A Big difference - room treatment, this one is a definite improvement, and bro joamonte can explain more.

My gear:

Offline pigscanfly

• I love bulbs!
Re: Other tweaks
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 11:07 »

A Big difference - room treatment, this one is a definite improvement, and bro joamonte can explain more.

I agree that room treatment has the biggest benefit. If you have a very expensive and good sounding system, an untreated room will not do justice to the amount of $$$ you have spent. You should listen to your equipment and not the room. lol

Another thing that is a must (especially if you are using tubes) are isolation cones / boards. Tubes are pretty sensitive to vibrations (ie, from your transport, etc). Isolation helps to reduce / eliminate these.
. Listens to transistor radio .

Offline warmasterhorus11

• Cant live without VantageHD! Revolution in PQ!
Re: Other tweaks
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 11:46 »
I agree that room treatment has the biggest benefit. If you have a very expensive and good sounding system, an untreated room will not do justice to the amount of $$$ you have spent.

Totally agree ! ;D
Money don't Change People, It is Money that bring Changes around them. Calibre VantageHD, HIFi-Tuning(Quantum Plug & Noise Destroyer), RGPC 1200, Anthem A5, A2, Marantz SR7002, Epson TW700, Oppo BD83, DV983H, Marantz CD63SE(TS-Lim Modded). SVS PB12, PS Audio Juice Bar II, Harmonic Tech, Bettercables, Signalcables, Focupix 80".

Offline DIYer Straits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 6N6P Über Tube
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 15:04 »
Listening chair with little or no head rest. Reduces reflections and smearing of the sonic image.
Listening chair with adjustable height so that your ears are always at the right height for your speakers.
Spirit level, to level your speakers so that both (stereo) are pointing exactly towards you at the right vertical and horizontal angles.
Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Laptop via XMOS
Khadas Tone DAC
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG/AT ART7
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage/DACT CT100 (modded)
Custom 6N5P/6N6p Aikido Preamplifier
Modded TPA3118 Class D amplifier/Modded TPA 3255 power amplifier/Anaview AMS1000 power amplifier/KT88 SE
FAST with a 6.5" Satori mid and a 12" Pro woofer/Some Satori in birch ply cabinets with a PR/KEF R300
To be updated

Offline hifiluv

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 15:14 »
don't know if u will agree, but when in a good mood the sound is good no matter what u play but when in a not so good mood, began to find fault with the sound or the setup.  for me, tats where i will switch off the system and indulge in some other activities instead....;D

Offline moonwalker

• Snr Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 16:37 »
don't know if u will agree, but when in a good mood the sound is good no matter what u play but when in a not so good mood, began to find fault with the sound or the setup.  for me, tats where i will switch off the system and indulge in some other activities instead....;D
definitely true :D, good mood everything seems perfect. but sometime play some music helps u reduce the stress, isn't it?
for me, the biggest tweak is putting the blue tack between speakers and stands, a huge difference I must say. SQ far improved

Offline Spunky

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 17:59 »
Listening chair with little or no head rest. Reduces reflections and smearing of the sonic image.
Listening chair with adjustable height so that your ears are always at the right height for your speakers.
Spirit level, to level your speakers so that both (stereo) are pointing exactly towards you at the right vertical and horizontal angles.

what about small floorstanders or MTM?  don't they already take care of (tweeter) height issue in their design?
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 02:37 »

I cant agree more! I was a victim of a high back chair once!  ;D
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 09:35 »
before room treatment, play around with speaker positioning.  Most of the time, the spkr position and our listening position are restricted coz of aesthetic reasons, especially when t eqpt are placed in the living hall.  Spend some hrs playing with the diff positions and you'll probbaly be surprised at the potential of your speakers! ;D

P.S.:  Go and get some tuition from Steve of Skyaudio during off-peak hrs...his systems always sound so intimate and romantic as compared to many hiend systems in adelphi! ;)
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

Online petetherock

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 22:16 »
Lorenzo is selling a nice chair for S$699 down from 1k plus, that should help :)

My gear:

Offline Hi5

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 01:07 »
Dim the lights. The sense of hearing improves when lights are down.