Author Topic: Bowers & Wilkins Speakers Owners  (Read 204316 times)

Offline cn9601

• Trade Count: (0)
Bowers & Wilkins Speakers Owners
« on: September 26, 2007, 11:20 »
Hi. Calling-calling good owners of Bowers & Wilkins speakers  ;)  Or critics  :P

KEC has informed that there is a new batch of Bowers & Wilkins 600-series coming in. Understand that this 600-series is for budget concerned people like me  ::)

Anyway, anybody has anything to say about Bowers & Wilkins speakers, because I dun read/see LOUD post or thread for this B&W stuffs. Is it another hype like Bose  :-\

Offline ew

Re: Bowers & Wilkins Speakers Owners
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:54 »
B&W 603 has recieved many good review and i almost wanted to get it the last time round.

i

Offline kzone

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 12:36 »
I'm sure the price of the new 600 series is higher than the old... so if its not much lower than the 700 series, then u should audition both...
I had a choice bwetween an old matrix & the current 700 series and although they say their newer speakers always inherits the technology of previous higher end series... sound wise, I prefer the older matrix.... while technology can be passed on to lower end models, quality of parts & workmanship is too expensive to filter it down...

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 13:22 »
hi i am a B&W owner myself. after i heard my frenz's 602 S3. i fell i love with it instantly. now running full B&W setup with 601 as front LCR60 center and 600 surrounds. too bad the old 600 series S3 discontinued. esle i would have gone for the 603.

yeah we know the newer models due to be released soon. so waiting patiently to audit them. suppose to be better than the older model as they have the FST cone surround technology for extra detail and resolution. Nautilus™ tube-loaded, aluminium dome tweeter. but still i prefer the looks of the 600series S3.
ProJect Q.

Offline cn9601

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 21:35 »
KEC couldnt bring in the latest 600-series, bcos local B&W distributor refuses to release it. The distributor wants to retail it  :-X  :-\  ???

Understand they will charge a high 2.8 times on the prevailing GBP retail price. Generally, stuff at KEC is ard 2.1 times on GBP.

So it appears that there's a commerical WW3  :-\  Guess just have to wait .........

Offline ahhian

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 21:47 »
KEC couldnt bring in the latest 600-series, bcos local B&W distributor refuses to release it. The distributor wants to retail it  :-X  :-\  ???

Understand they will charge a high 2.8 times on the prevailing GBP retail price. Generally, stuff at KEC is ard 2.1 times on GBP.

So it appears that there's a commerical WW3  :-\  Guess just have to wait .........

Was told by KEC that the 600 series will arrive in Oct. Hope it comes in sooner as I would like to audition it with the Epos 12.2 :)

Offline imbest

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 00:54 »
lai lai lai, maituliao, just do your own MO, let them taste some "flavour" :D

Offline ew

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 01:21 »
lai lai lai, maituliao, just do your own MO, let them taste some "flavour" :D

fwah, can do MO for B&W?? where?? maybe u can enlighten us... thanks!!

Offline SteinigerGE

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 07:32 »
Is it another hype like Bose  :-\

No.  Unlike Bose, Bowers & Wilkins speakers are capable of reproducing the entire audible range of frequencies (although you still need a subwoofer for the really low frequencies) and with their aluminum and diamond tweeters, a lot of it you can't!  (The diamonds have been measured up to 74KHz).

The "hype" around B&W probably has more to do with the places disttributing them since they use GBP price which already includes a 20% GST.  If they were priced on U.S. prices (generally 15-25% less) then they would be considered very high value speakers.

I'm not sure about the 600s and 700s, but for the 800s, they are not supposed to be available on line (retailers are required to have a dedicated 800 Series listening room or area) and you are strongly discouraged from shopping around at retailers outside of your area.  I haerd a guy in the U.S. went to a retailer 100 miles from where he lived, and when they found out his address, they told him to go back to the retailer closer to home because they weren't allowed to do business with him.

Offline imbest

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 09:31 »
fwah, can do MO for B&W?? where?? maybe u can enlighten us... thanks!!

I was just kidding lah, but seriously, if the price is really too high, can really consider importing it from other places, but I dun think the response will be good.

well, yet another well-"controlled" item......good for the brand image though. bad for our pocket....

Offline monstertruck

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 09:46 »
erm.... how much do you think the 686 will cost ar?

anyone can enlighten me?

Offline cn9601

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 10:42 »
Was told by KEC that the 600 series will arrive in Oct. Hope it comes in sooner as I would like to audition it with the Epos 12.2 :)

Bro, was at KEC yesterday and had been told of the info. At the moment, 600 is not coming to KEC. Those pre-orders think may be given a choice to hold and wait or maybe 'refund' - cant remember wat KEC mumbling......simply we are sad  :(   Oredi plan to audition the set next week lei  >:(

If nobody goes to tat local distributor, then due to market forces, KEC may move in again for the 600 series. It is a matter of time  :-[

Offline cn9601

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 10:48 »
and when they found out his address, they told him to go back to the retailer closer to home because they weren't allowed to do business with him.

Sounds like Microsoft  :o  Perceiving to be a 'protected' brand (Chey!). Tats y get the impression tat it is a hype.........but since some bros here are indicating a good spkr to reckon (UNLIKE Bose, of course). Now juz hope KEC can bring in the 600-series for me to audition  :'(
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 15:00 by cn9601 »

Offline Soundsogood

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 17:49 »
I was at Monsoon testing and enjoying the sounds produced by 685 series speakers...Wonderful with much clarity. Comparable to CM1. Price for 685 is about $1k. Not sure to wait for KEC or to purchase at Monsoon. Any advice. Thanks

Offline Ratatouille

• Snr Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 01:05 »
I was at Monsoon testing and enjoying the sounds produced by 685 series speakers...Wonderful with much clarity. Comparable to CM1. Price for 685 is about $1k. Not sure to wait for KEC or to purchase at Monsoon. Any advice. Thanks

oh iszit?  SIAO AH 685 bookshelf spk abt $1k? then 683,684 floorstanders abt $2k $3k lor... tats way too much to pay for entry level spks. rumours has it they are now made in China.  can you verify this? shld bring down the cost mah. monsoon is always super exp!!!