Author Topic: Does ikea carpet helps to reduce sound rebounce in a small room ?  (Read 3859 times)

Offline GAGA@echoloft

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Does ikea carpet helps to reduce sound rebounce in a small room ?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 00:27 »
garbage's carpet is definitely very effective....in trapping dust and dirt. ;D
The Way Is Not In The Sky
The Way Is In The Heart

To attain Knowledge, add things everyday
To attain Wisdom, remove things everyday

Offline mitkey

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 00:43 »
hi

have a read here. Different material will have different coeficient. It does not mean thick is good.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/attachment.php?attachmentid=1152&d=1292622892
My Gears : PPA V3, Jplay dual PC - MSB Analog - Audio-gd C1 SE - Dynaudio C1
Power : Acoustic Revive RTP-6 Ultimate
Interconnect : AET Orpheus DG75| AET SIN XLR EVO | AET SCR AC SP
Power cord : AET Evidence AC | SIN AC EVD | SCR AC EVD | HIN AC EVD
Acc : Finite Element Ceraball | ATS tuning feet | AET

Offline Avonez

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 01:02 »
Get a thick carpet, the thicker the more effective. Ceramic tile floor is not too good especially if the area is large. I don't know what is the correct term for the type of carpet posted by Garbage. That pile may be made by artificial fibre and not wool, hence it doesn't provide too much absorption. The idea of a carpet is to absorb the reflections of high frequencies as much as possible, hence the thicker the better.

Those are Shaggies carpets. Right that they are usually made of synthetic material, usually light and are not thick though they appear so. I've got two 2x2m carpets, one heavy woolen from IKEA, over $400. Thick carpets do make a difference in reducing echoes, not for bass absorption.

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04 »
seeking advice. Currently when i am playing music...i can feel the sound "rebounce" from the ceramic floor upwards to my foot (sitting on a higher chair so my legs are above ground) ...

Errr....u listen with your foot? :o ::) ;D

Or is it the floor vibration that excited by the strong bass of the speaker u feel from the foot? If that is the case it is cause by  structure borne transmission, the speaker energy has cause the floor to vibrate and your foot can feel it, it is quite common in HDB weak flooring, in fact sound travel faster vs hard object like concrete floor than by air, which mean your foot feel the vibration from the speaker faster then the ear...... :)

Put carpet under your foot is to isolated your foot from the floor, break the structure borne between your foot and floor , as vibration don't travel well tru soft object.... but the floor vribration is still there actually~~ unless you put the speaker above thick Carpet and don't let the spike touching the floor, but usally the speaker will not sound good that way ::)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_transmission?wasRedirected=true
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:27 by joamonte »