Author Topic: Liverpool articles/interesting reads/discussion  (Read 530388 times)

Offline lewlian

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Liverpool articles/interesting reads/discussion
« Reply #720 on: June 06, 2010, 10:54 »
Sad alright, wish the Arse had that kind of fluke/luck too. But if it was merely a case of sour grapes, I should be knocking the 4 earlier wins too, no? Or perhaps you cant quite recall them? ;)

Short memory huh. No disrespect to Arsenal nor their other supporters but I suppose your League win in '89 on the last game was without an element of luck and won with flowing football?

If the CL was won in one game then one can probably toss a coin over it but wins over some major clubs en route to the title does not make it lucky. And why yes, Istanbul was number 5. Could have been 6 in 2007 but lost to a better team then.

Just a real sourpuss who cannot get over it. You are beginning to sound like Wenger when he loses.  ;)

edit: typo, meant '89
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 13:27 by lewlian »
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline lewlian

Re: Spurs boss emerges as shock contender for Anfield hotseat
« Reply #721 on: June 06, 2010, 11:03 »
...no disrespect to HR but he don't have european pedigree. well, not yet if you consider spurs still needs to go through the qualifying stage of the UCL. he's good at keeping club from relegation but winning the league title? i'm not so sure...

i don't think the duo will go for now. however, the club must qualify for UCL next season to keep them  :)

I am optimistic but I wish I have your level of optimism there. Winning the league now is even more remote than before what with the nonsense coming out from the club and the fiasco with the owners. Which manager would dare to step into Liverpool now with so many things unclear i.e. when will the owners change, what is the transfer budget, when is the new stadium ever going to be built and trying to manage existing players/scout for new ones.

Thing is it is not as simple as getting a new manager in and hoping for the best anymore. They now come with their own entourage of assistants, scouts, backroom staff etc and the infrastructure will take time to be re-established. In this day and age that means money and where is it going to come from for Liverpool? We are not a Chelski with a billionaire bank-rolling the club. Even Man City with its petrol dollars was not successful after changing managers just to cite an example.

Getting back into the top 4 now would already be something of an achievement for any new manager esp with 5-6 other contenders now.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline yellowhandman

« Reply #722 on: June 06, 2010, 11:12 »
...no disrespect to HR but he don't have european pedigree.

No disrespect to Liverpool, but European pedigree hardly seems a relevant qualification to manage a team that is only in the Europa League this season...your priority would surely be to at least get back into the Champions' League, and that's something that Harry managed to do last season with Spurs...

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED! GO LAKERS! FORZA FERRARI!

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #723 on: June 06, 2010, 11:43 »
Short memory huh. No disrespect to Arsenal nor their other supporters but I suppose your League win in '98 on the last game was without an element of luck and won with flowing football?

If the CL was won in one game then one can probably toss a coin over it but wins over some major clubs en route to the title does not make it lucky. And why yes, Istanbul was number 5. Could have been 6 in 2007 but lost to a better team then.

Just a real sourpuss who cannot get over it. You are beginning to sound like Wenger when he loses.  ;)

Hmm, my memory must be short.. I seem to recall Le Arse winning the league in 98 with 2 games to spare, with a 4-0 home rout of Everton. The final 2 games were a 4-0 loss to Liverpool (cough.. cough!) and 1-0 loss to Villa... Perhaps they were lucky to lose those games by only 5 goals... :P

Anyway, I've never denied the role luck plays in success and failure, in sports and elsewhere. You need plenty of hard work, effort AND luck too.

"wins over some major clubs" did include a 'lucky' goal against Chelsea iirc.

And 2005 could have been already 6 if not for Heysel and that 'unlucky' penalty award to Juve.

Get my point?

And,no I'm no sourpuss, just a realist who sees and calls things as it is, whether its the Arse or someone else.

(I mean, does anyone know any Arsenal fan who claims that the 2005 Cup Final win was well and truly deserved?)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:02 by Pingu »
xxx

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #724 on: June 06, 2010, 12:10 »
Harry Redknapp for Liverpool.

I can't believe that people are actually debating this possibility... ::)
xxx

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #725 on: June 06, 2010, 12:25 »
Harry Redknapp for Liverpool.

I can't believe that people are actually debating this possibility... ::)

Me either... welcome back Peter Crouch and David James *grrr*

Offline j45yip

« Reply #726 on: June 06, 2010, 12:36 »
...true but what's next after qualification for ucl? change manager? let's see how harry does with spurs in europe next season if he decide to stay.

No disrespect to Liverpool, but European pedigree hardly seems a relevant qualification to manage a team that is only in the Europa League this season...your priority would surely be to at least get back into the Champions' League, and that's something that Harry managed to do last season with Spurs...

Vecteur D2 CD Transport, AN1865n-k Non-OS DAC
Thorens TD124MkII, MicroSeiki MA88, Expert Stylus 103 / Midas Touch
DACT CT100 / Custom Shunt Regulated PSU
5687 WOT Preamplifier
Behringer DCX2496
Type 45 SET monobloc / Radian950pb / AH204 Azurahorns
UcD180AN / Double Usher 15HM in Custom Vented Enclosures

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #727 on: June 06, 2010, 12:52 »
But seriously, is Sven so bad?

He did do reasonably well with England. He did win the Serie A with unfashionable Lazio...
xxx

Offline yellowhandman

« Reply #728 on: June 06, 2010, 12:55 »
...true but what's next after qualification for ucl? change manager? let's see how harry does with spurs in europe next season if he decide to stay.

I think you should qualify for ECL first, then worry about what comes after...don't jump the gun  :D

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED! GO LAKERS! FORZA FERRARI!

Offline lewlian

« Reply #729 on: June 06, 2010, 13:38 »

Hmm, my memory must be short.. I seem to recall Le Arse winning the league in 98 with 2 games to spare, with a 4-0 home rout of Everton. The final 2 games were a 4-0 loss to Liverpool (cough.. cough!) and 1-0 loss to Villa... Perhaps they were lucky to lose those games by only 5 goals... :P

Anyway, I've never denied the role luck plays in success and failure, in sports and elsewhere. You need plenty of hard work, effort AND luck too.

"wins over some major clubs" did include a 'lucky' goal against Chelsea iirc.

And 2005 could have been already 6 if not for Heysel and that 'unlucky' penalty award to Juve.

Get my point?

And,no I'm no sourpuss, just a realist who sees and calls things as it is, whether its the Arse or someone else.

(I mean, does anyone know any Arsenal fan who claims that the 2005 Cup Final win was well and truly deserved?)

And Liverpool just waltzed through every round without any work needed and just pure luck? How illogical can the argument get? It is a league cum KO tournament of its own if you happen to forget. Maybe all the past World Cup winners were lucky and won without hard work going by your train of thought.

I suppose only Arsenal work hard, play nice but due to lack of luck do not win. Gimme a break lah. Sometimes in a match a team gets lucky, other times they make their luck. So Grobbelaar's antics at the penalty shootout vs Roma in '84 for #4 was also luck then.  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #730 on: June 06, 2010, 13:59 »
The argument is illogical only because it's all yours and not mine. Who is actually saying Liverpool 'waltzed' throught every round? You? It certainly wasnt me.

Why do you bother to respond to a post when you clearly cannot be bothered to read or understand what it says?

(Isnt there something better to do on a Sunday in China than arguing with one's own arguments?... :P)
xxx

Offline lewlian

« Reply #731 on: June 06, 2010, 22:23 »

So goes the pot calling the kettle black... :-X

You should know to MYOB.  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #732 on: June 06, 2010, 22:53 »
So goes the pot calling the kettle black... :-X

You should know to MYOB.  ::)

I suppose that passes for intelligent response in your neck of the woods... So be it.

Good night!

(now finding myself wishing Rafa hadnt walked. Alone or otherwise... :P)
xxx

Offline dude

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #733 on: June 07, 2010, 09:08 »
It's only because Liverpool have always had very high standards that the current situation looks very bad.

We are paying for our own success, really.

We won the Champs League in Rafa's first year when we should not have.

We won the FA Cup the year after that, when we shouldn't have.

We reached the Champs League Final again to make it 2 Finals in 3 years, when we shouldn't have.

Sure, we missed out on the League, which is the one title we want, coming in 2nd.

By many other clubs standards, we probably look quite good. But by our own standards, we are in bad shape.

So yes, I agree that we have fallen....by our own lofty standards...

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #734 on: June 07, 2010, 09:24 »
It's only because Liverpool have always had very high standards that the current situation looks very bad.

By many other clubs standards, we probably look quite good. But by our own standards, we are in bad shape.

So yes, I agree that we have fallen....by our own lofty standards...

True. Liverpool FC are still the best British club ever. ManU can only dream of taking that mantle if they have a successful succession after Ferguson...
xxx