Author Topic: Liverpool articles/interesting reads/discussion  (Read 530650 times)

Offline cn9601

• Trade Count: (0)
Ai-Yo Talk about Rotation again........
« Reply #405 on: August 11, 2009, 23:23 »
Given the REDS will consistently participate in literally all major games, and I hope always, rotation is not a dirty word or even unjustificable tactic of the gaffer. And I think literally REDS supporters are not against rotation.

BUT rotation keeps popping-up and being questioned bcos specifically in 2007/2008, the gaffer could suddenly 'upset' the whole team formation and understanding by doing almost a wholesome rotation  :o  When he tamed down this habit of his in 2008/2009, the 1st team was more consistent and mutual understanding started to evolved. While the UEFA Championship Title of 2005 has been the talk of the town in the history of UEFA, IMHO I like the team in 2008/2009.

IMHO nobody is questioning 25 players we need and the concern of several major games we are playing, but reading deep into REDS' concern is the 'literal' wholesome players rotation and should I say changeover. IMHO overhauling of >3players will upset the team and mutual understanding.

But also it is likely that we do not have the depth and mindset of (which I hate to admit) Devils, Gunners and Blues, where their players could come in almost anytime and play as a team like brothers and sisters  :P

YNWA  :D

Offline Jacky

Re: Ai-Yo Talk about Rotation again........
« Reply #406 on: August 12, 2009, 11:07 »
Given the REDS will consistently participate in literally all major games, and I hope always, rotation is not a dirty word or even unjustificable tactic of the gaffer. And I think literally REDS supporters are not against rotation.

BUT rotation keeps popping-up and being questioned bcos specifically in 2007/2008, the gaffer could suddenly 'upset' the whole team formation and understanding by doing almost a wholesome rotation  :o  When he tamed down this habit of his in 2008/2009, the 1st team was more consistent and mutual understanding started to evolved. While the UEFA Championship Title of 2005 has been the talk of the town in the history of UEFA, IMHO I like the team in 2008/2009.

IMHO nobody is questioning 25 players we need and the concern of several major games we are playing, but reading deep into REDS' concern is the 'literal' wholesome players rotation and should I say changeover. IMHO overhauling of >3players will upset the team and mutual understanding.

But also it is likely that we do not have the depth and mindset of (which I hate to admit) Devils, Gunners and Blues, where their players could come in almost anytime and play as a team like brothers and sisters  :P

YNWA  :D

Well hit on the nail. 2 thumbs up! Of course players need to rest and be rotated for certain games. No one is questioning / disagreeing with that. It is the massive  changes that he made game after game, week after week, in the past that we are referring to when we talk about "rotation". 

Offline lewlian

Re: Liverpool articles/interesting reads/discussion
« Reply #407 on: August 12, 2009, 11:48 »

Always useful to put things in perspective. We are after all armchair observers and critics who at times rely on the media or our eyes but do we really know why the teams need to be changed unless there is a reality tv program following Rafa around? For that matter even those are edited to suit the producer's vision.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Jacky

« Reply #408 on: August 17, 2009, 13:22 »
Wow... way to go Liverpool....   
My observation: 
1) It is ridiculous that Carragher and Skrtel collided in such a comical fashion. There was no opposition going for the ball, both of them can see each other going for it... and yet such a heavy collision. Liverpool nvr really recover from their jitters from there onwards. Defence was in sixes and sevens from there till half time. Good thing Pepe was in form, else we would probably have lost the game by half time. Thanks to Robbie Keane for all the misses.
2) No control in midfield Our midfield is overrun. No holding midfield player... effects of the loss of Alonso i guess. Lack of possession and cutting edge passes. THink Gerard had to help out in mid towards the end. I did not even see any good passes between the two. Both of them seemed rusty especially Torres.
3) Only Glen and Benayoun were making positive contribution. The rest of the players seem to be passengers.
4) Insua, Lucas, Babbel - They cannot make it as 1st team players. If Liverpool wants the title, they need to field their best available 11 for every game. hmmm, if these 3 are the best we have in their positions, then we can kiss the season goodbye. They do not have the quality.
5) Voronin cannot make it in BPL. He is too slow really.

My thoughts hor. feel free to comment/ discuss but dun flame me.

Offline cn9601

« Reply #409 on: August 17, 2009, 14:16 »
Well written observations  ;)

(sigh....) somehow the outcome has been written on the wall.....

1) As I watched it real-time and thereafter replays, Jamie was obviously fully aware of Skrtel taking control of the dropping ball. I was stunned that he din back off.

2) Think around 57th minute, Stevie was frustrated and started showing 'hand signs and gestures' to his team players, esp. mid-field. It was till 67th min Yossi came on and there was a little flair in play by REDS, and midfield could push fwd a little. But somehow a little too late  :-[

3) Yes, I was impressed wif Glen.

4) Babel was completely out of sight, ineffective & inefficient. Lucas probably tried too hard to fill in the shoes of Alonso - no game focus, and lack of mutual understanding wif Stevie & Masch. Masch seemed a little overwhlemed by his hot-temper (again), thus not as effective in his holding mid-fieldier role.....(sigh). However, IMHO, Insua was quite OK, but he could have done more.

5) While Dirk was not at his best, subt him wif Voronin just made the fwd & flank options WORSE or WORST  ??? ::)

Hopefully tis Wed home match agst Stoke City could boast the morale. But at the moment it is a serious concern at the back - Jamie & Skrtel.
  :-[ :-X :'(

Offline cn9601

REDS AGREE DEAL FOR KYRGIAKOS
« Reply #410 on: August 20, 2009, 10:14 »
REDS AGREE DEAL FOR KYRGIAKOS
Liverpool today agreed a deal with AEK Athens for centre-back Sotirios Kyrgiakos, subject to a medical.

About tis morning game agst Stoke City:
I was impressed with Glen in the game agst Stoke City. Glen seems to have provided the 'missing' fluency on the right, and he is only a RIGHT BACK.
Lucas was more focused and he was linking well with Masch, thus allowing Stevie to dominate comfy & stringing nicey passes  :) Also Yossi's presence helped  ;)
But there were glimpses of 2 REDS going for the same ball, almost to repeat human accident...tsk....tsk.
Dirk appeared abit blur-blur, though his was one of the 4 goals  :D

Other than the 'disheartening' news of Spurs' overwhelming triumph over Hull, but wonderful news of ManU's defeat to new boy Burnley juz provide the right curry flavor for REDS' good game wif a clean sheet of 4 goals 8)

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #411 on: August 21, 2009, 08:01 »
Liverpool v Stoke highlights

http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/liverpool-v-stoke-bbc-motd-highlights

Glen Johnson's bicycle kick was awesome
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:04 by SiriuslyCold »

Offline Jacky

« Reply #412 on: August 25, 2009, 04:08 »
another very bad display from Liverpool. Steven gerard and Dirk kuyt were anonynous. 2/10 really. No winger got to the byline mind u.There were so many stray passes. Cannot remember how many how passes were intercepted by the villians. Enough said about Lucas, I dun even want to talk about him anymore. Gave away a needless foul and headed that freekick into his own goal. But give credit to villa, they are very quick and disciplined. Do not think liverpool can overturn the deficit in 2nd half. Gonna be a bad bad season. 

Offline cn9601

« Reply #413 on: August 25, 2009, 10:44 »
Correction: He created the set piece and then gifted the goal. I was oredi jumping ard as he was playing, and then threw my can of beer at the Panny Plasma when he created the free kick  >:( and dropped on the floor when he headed in the goal for them  ::) ???

I digged my heart out when even Stevie could give away an unncessary penalty when we were getting back  :-\ :'(  At that time, I knew THAT'S IT and I turned off the TV and lights........

Our Mid-Field cant be that crappy without Alonso right????! So far, all 3 matches are dictated by the performance of mid-field....tsk....tsk....tsk

(sigh....) it's the same old roller coaster start to EPL season, and then 爆头慌 to play well later in the season (sigh.....)

Gave away a needless foul and headed that freekick into his own goal.

Offline Luv4nature

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #414 on: August 25, 2009, 10:50 »
My conclusion is that Asian tour provided great effect in lowering their standard.. ;)

Offline Jacky

« Reply #415 on: August 25, 2009, 13:46 »
Dirk Kuyt linked very well with Arbeola last season. They were tearing teams apart on the right side of the field. His departure affected as well. The bonding is not developed between Glen and Dirk. Thus Dirk is not as effective as he can be. Alonso used to know who is running towards where and sprayed passes to running man like Dirk, Steven, Torres, Riera (where is Riera? injured?). We really dun have that penetration now.  All the passes are going to the opponent legs and you will be amaze if you count the number of stray passes. I think there was about 20-30% stray passes this morning. Stevie G is out of sorts. The build up play is very difficult now relying only on short passes. The villians were also faster to the balls on so many occasions. true the Referee was slightly biased in the 1st half (ignoring several fouls) but we shld be able to do better than that as professionals.

We need someone to take command in central mid...t he question is who apart from Stevie G.
And stop relying on Lucas for goodness sake. Might as well let Jay spearing or the young striker Nemeth (with Stevie dropping back to mid) play. Better grooming them then let Lucas play. I was thinking who can come off the substitute bench to make a difference but sadly..... no one comes to my mind.

Chelsea/ Man U can have 5 internationals warming the bench waiting to get into the game. We have 5 bench warmers waiting for international call up. So sad....................

Offline cn9601

« Reply #416 on: August 25, 2009, 19:04 »
Good observation  8)

Am wondering wats wrong wif Dirk....since the 1st match, he has been playing out of norm  :-\ :'( >:(  True-True, Dirk lost his link. Tats y he is literally running evrywhere...ctr mid-field, right mid-field....sometimes even thread back to RIGH BACK.

And Stevie is lossing his calm and patience - evident of tat unnecessary penalty  :-\ When Stevie doesnt play well - all is hell: Torres no service support (gets impatient also), Yossi not sure when/where to penetrate, Dirk is running wild, Masch and Pepe throwing their temper on each corner of the pitch....tsk...tsk....forunately the new boy Glen at least try to create and commit the chance for himself.

I am putting up my LFC faith on sale at Ebay.com.sg  8)  as long as Rafa tries keeping his faith in Lucas (and Babel)

Dirk Kuyt linked very well with Arbeola last season.

Offline Jacky

« Reply #417 on: August 25, 2009, 22:11 »
k, let me ebay my faith too lol.   
Honestly, I cannot see how they can improve. I will be amaze if we can string a couple of straight wins to keep pace with the blues and the other red.
Even if Aqualiani (or whatever the name is) is fit.
Hope Benitez can make me eat my words.

Offline Luv4nature

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Liverpool articles/interesting reads
« Reply #418 on: August 25, 2009, 22:34 »
They are due to benitez's failure, often fielding shuffled line-up versus weaker teams, not only ended up dropping points, it also constantly destabilizes the team chemistry and vastly affected consistency of the team.

Have to bring this up again. Benitez brings about his own instability, including some of the transfer decisions....

Offline Jacky

« Reply #419 on: August 25, 2009, 23:26 »
My wife is correct in saying that he thinks he is overly smart..... to the point of being arrogant/ naive.
Always do the impossible to prove that he does miracle.
someone forgot to tell him that you don't get to score 3 goals against AC Milan within 6 mins everytime!

Well at least this time, he cannot blame it on Rick Parry :)